more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Eusebio

Started by WhiteJC, January 05, 2014, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Eusebio: Portugal football legend dies aged 71

Portugal football legend Eusebio, who was top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, has died at the age of 71.

Born in Mozambique in 1942 when it was still a Portuguese colony, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira went on to play 64 times for Portugal, scoring 41 goals.

The Benfica striker's nine goals at the 1966 World Cup in England included four against North Korea.

Widely considered one of the best players of all-time, he scored 733 times in 745 professional matches.

Eusebio, the 1965 European Footballer of the Year, won the European Cup with Benfica in 1962 and was in the side that lost to Manchester United in the 1968 Wembley final.

He won 10 league championships and five Portuguese cups in his 15 years at the club and was Portugal's top league scorer between 1964 and 1973.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25611509

grandad

Great footballer & gentleman. RIP
Where there's a will there's a wife

FC Silver Fox

I remember seeing him play at the Cottage in 1973 when Fulham played Benfica for the opening of the Riverside Stand. He always seemed to have a smile on his face. He loved his football. R.I.P.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Ged

he and Benfica opened the New Riverside Stand in 1972 Great Player RIP
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/06/throwback-thursday

Fernhurst

What sad sad news for those of us who so admired him through his footballing career and beyond.
A quite fabulous talent who has departed far too soon. Will always be remembered for his ability and gentlemanly sportsmanship.

I was at that game in 72 sitting with both my father and brother in the section nearest the away fans (these days). Almost as if we were in the presence of Royalty, Eusebio was ranked in world football alongside Pele, Charlton and Bobby Moore at that time. It was wonderful his graced The Cottage with his skills to provide me with a lifetime memory.

Rest in Peace Eusebio

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

I was @ the game standing (as usual in those days) @ the Putney End

Memory fades but it seemed like Eusebio whacked the ball from just inside the half way line by the middle of the Stevenage Road stand & it screamed into our PE goal barely leaving the ground

A truly wonderful strike & such a great player

Mind Conroy managed a few goals from the half way line after thatl!

RIP Eusebio

Andy S

It is very sad. From a time when great footballers did not make huge amounts of money, and they came over as being human. This man Eusebio was like a God. Great player with silky skills. Rip

Dragoman

Remember watching him on TV in the 1966 World Cup and being enthralled. Also saw him at the Cottage with Benfica. An absolutely brilliant player and a gentleman who never quite got the recognition that Pele and Best received in my opinion. R.I.P.

Fulham1959

One of THE greatest footballers, ever.

Alternative

I was at that semi final in Wembley in 66 when England played Portugal. Great player.

Luffy86

RIP Eusebio, true footballing legend!!
The old man watched him play at the cottage...

Lighthouse

Been a part of my football memory. World Cup, European Cup Final. When football was great and had real giants playing. A wonderful player and an honour to have watched him play. Another sad day.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

So, one by one, the old heroes depart.

The word 'great' is so overused these days as to have become meaningless. In the mid60s Eusebio was the outstanding attacking player in Europe and was second only to Pele in the World. He had all the necessary attacking skills and played with the kind of enjoyment and sportsmanship that would be considered eccentric today.

He was the indivudual attacking star of the 1966 World Cup.
The semi-final against England was probably the best match of the whole competition Up to then England had not impressed and it was widely expected that Stiles would carry out the same sort of hatchet job on Eusebio as Portugal themselves had delivered to Pele. This never happened. Eusebio ran the show from a fairly deep position, but in a game of remarkably few fouls, a magnificently organised England defence, with Moore, as so often, superb, never allowed Eusebio and his colleagues sufficient space to work anything significant until the last ten minutes by which time Bobby Charlton, playing the 'Eusebio' role for England, had put us 2-0 up.
Eusebio comiserating with Banks after he had sent him the wrong way for Portugal's goal and his tears at the end are still fresh memories.

Adeus!

alfie

I met the guy once when he popped into the training ground, true gentleman, no big ego there.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulham pete

One of the finest players ever to grace the Cottage. Still remember that goal mentioned above in the match to open the now renamed Riverside Stand.

Just been watching the clips on BBC news. If only todays players would play with a smile on their face and with the same skill and sportsmanship...

Hope the Club put aside a minute on Saturday to honor a true great of the game we all love.

St Eve

One of the greats. And what's shot he had. A real sporting legend

Holders

Quote from: fulham pete on January 05, 2014, 10:41:08 PM
One of the finest players ever to grace the Cottage. Still remember that goal mentioned above in the match to open the now renamed Riverside Stand.

Just been watching the clips on BBC news. If only todays players would play with a smile on their face and with the same skill and sportsmanship...

Hope the Club put aside a minute on Saturday to honor a true great of the game we all love.

It has always been called the Riverside Stand since it was built, unless they call it something different now?

Yes, I think it would be good if the Club would honour him on Saturday as he played at the Cottage that one time. Still got the programme...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

JBH

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on January 05, 2014, 09:44:48 AM
I remember seeing him play at the Cottage in 1973 when Fulham played Benfica for the opening of the Riverside Stand. He always seemed to have a smile on his face. He loved his football. R.I.P.

:plus one: Great goal scorer, modest man R.I.P footballing legend 065.gif

JBH

Quote from: Holders on January 06, 2014, 06:43:40 AM
Quote from: fulham pete on January 05, 2014, 10:41:08 PM

It has always been called the Riverside Stand since it was built, unless they call it something different now?

Yes, I think it would be good if the Club would honour him on Saturday as he played at the Cottage that one time. Still got the programme...

It was actually named the Eric Miller Stand when it was officially opened