watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarzer

Started by Jonnoj, January 05, 2014, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonnoj

Just watching Schwartzer on the tv and it got me thinking that among Jol's many bizarre decisions surely one is that the gk situation really wasn't where we needed to spend money last summer.
Another year of Schwarzer and Stockdale would have been fine.
Why not spend the obviously meagre funds we had on a decent CD or striker?
Too late now I realise but perplexing in the extreme all the same

fulhamben

Quote from: Jonnoj on January 05, 2014, 03:33:50 PM
Just watching Schwartzer on the tv and it got me thinking that among Jol's many bizarre decisions surely one is that the gk situation really wasn't where we needed to spend money last summer.
you obviously have a short memory. schwarzer made lots of mistakes last season
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Craven Mad

EVERYONE wanted a different keeper between the sticks! Either because of mistakes, or terrible distribution.

Whitesideup

Wrong. A lot of us still rated Schwarzer who was a great keeper for us. Yes, his kicking was not all that; there were mistakes but these were few and far between, no more than say Czech made in the season. Certainly no worse a rate than Steklenburg.

Bassey the warrior

Good keeper but I don't miss him. I certainly don't miss his awful kicking.

Lighthouse

Swart was great - three seasons ago. He was going down hill since then. Poor judgement, poor reactions and he couldn't kick the ball to a team mate. But having said all that it wasn't a position we needed to strengthen as we have Stockdale who would have been good enough to see us through this season. Stellenberg has proved such an injury bore we could have done without him. But Swart was way passed his place in the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

K33NY

I miss van der Saar more than I miss Schwarzer

Northern Cottager

Schwarzenegger time came. Fantastic servant and professional but if he wanted to be guaranteed a start here we made the right decision in letting him go for the reasons mentioned above.

Autocorrect called him schwarzenegger ... I kind of like it.

Big Martin Jol

He's 41, so it's something that had to be done or sooner later. Stekelenburg was available and Schwarzer's contract had come to an end, so to me it felt like a good time to make a change.

Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

theotherdembele

Regardless of stek's injuries he's a world class keeper, who's been no.1 for a Holland team which has some of the best goalkeeping options available and we couldn't turn down the opportunity to sign him.
Good decision letting him go.

David Allen Crankshaw

Wasn't Mark offered a new contract? He chose to move on.

JackyFulham90

I'm very happy with our goalkeeping options, Stekelenburg  & Stockdale are very good keepers we just need the defence infernt of them to be a bit stronger

JackyFulham90

I'm very happy with our goalkeeping options, Stekelenburg  & Stockdale are very good keepers we just need the defence in front of them to be a bit stronger

Fulhampete

Interesting seeing so many ex Fulham players this weekend in the FA cup. In addition to Mark there was Rosenior, Kelly, Smalling, Hudson, Knight, Fontaine, Omosuzi, Konchesky, Routledge, Dembele, Dikgacoi, Davis, Pratley, Timlin, Gera, Pobgrebnyak and Johnson. Is the Barnes who plays for Brighton Giles Barnes?

General

Quote from: fulhamben on January 05, 2014, 03:36:49 PM
Quote from: Jonnoj on January 05, 2014, 03:33:50 PM
you obviously have a short memory. schwarzer made lots of mistakes last season

Just about to say that.. Schwarzenegger was pretty bad for us by the time he left for whatever reason.

hovewhite

We have a squad that's too old as it is .keeper wise,steks or stocky two quality keepers.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Fulhampete on January 05, 2014, 08:59:59 PM
Interesting seeing so many ex Fulham players this weekend in the FA cup. In addition to Mark there was Rosenior, Kelly, Smalling, Hudson, Knight, Fontaine, Omosuzi, Konchesky, Routledge, Dembele, Dikgacoi, Davis, Pratley, Timlin, Gera, Pobgrebnyak and Johnson. Is the Barnes who plays for Brighton Giles Barnes?

Ashley Barnes.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Holders

Quote from: PokerMatt on January 06, 2014, 10:02:37 AM

Ashley Barnes.

Is Mark Hudson still playing? Who for, please? he was a neighbour of a friend of mine when he was in Fulham reserves and I got to talk to him a couple of times. Shame he didn't make it for us.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

PokerMatt

Quote from: Holders on January 06, 2014, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: PokerMatt on January 06, 2014, 10:02:37 AM

Ashley Barnes.

Is Mark Hudson still playing? Who for, please? he was a neighbour of a friend of mine when he was in Fulham reserves and I got to talk to him a couple of times. Shame he didn't make it for us.

He's the Cardiff skipper. I always thought we should have kept him, he bloomed quite late.
Follow me: @mattdjourno