watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Genealogy

Started by CorkedHat, January 07, 2014, 02:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

I recently became involved in tracing my family tree. I was suddenly aware just how little I knew about my father's side of the family in particular.
I have discovered that my Great Grandfather was born and raised in Fulham, and that I have a Great Aunt and Great Uncle who were also born and bred there.
It was my Grandfather who moved away when he got married, but it is obvious now why I chose to follow Fulham instead of Chelsea. It is in my genes! The uncanny thing if that having supported Fulham for 63 years, I didn't know about my family connection to Fulham until this week.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

K33NY

Quote from: CorkedHat on January 07, 2014, 02:29:17 AM
I recently became involved in tracing my family tree. I was suddenly aware just how little I knew about my father's side of the family in particular.
I have discovered that my Great Grandfather was born and raised in Fulham, and that I have a Great Aunt and Great Uncle who were also born and bred there.
It was my Grandfather who moved away when he got married, but it is obvious now why I chose to follow Fulham instead of Chelsea. It is in my genes! The uncanny thing if that having supported Fulham for 63 years, I didn't know about my family connection to Fulham until this week.

Must be a fun and special feeling to experience :)

Fernhurst

Fascinating stuff once you start CH.
My youngest Son has only just started collating our tree and already is back to 1658 on my fathers side.

All those generations lost in time. My Son is currently in Africa and I can't wait for him to get back to discuss in detail.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

I have been doing my tree for awhile now and was disappointed to find that I am not related to the four Shrimpton brothers who helped start fulham

Burt

Good news to have Fulham in your genes Mr CH! Must have been a good surprise.

We (well, one of my brothers) has done a fair bit of work on our tree, since my dad passed away 7 years ago we wanted more visibility on his side in particular, as he is Australian and we wanted to know how all that happened.

Our biggest surprise was to find that we are distantly related to an ex-Tory Chancellor whose celebrity chef of a daughter has been making a few headlines recently...

All fascinating stuff.

grandad

There is a 99% chance that I am the Earl of Sussex. My grand father was the head gardener at his estate & worked VERY closely with her Ladyship in designing the grounds. Some parts of which were very secluded.
Where there's a will there's a wife

epsomraver

Quote from: grandad on January 07, 2014, 10:46:08 AM
There is a 99% chance that I am the Earl of Sussex. My grand father was the head gardener at his estate & worked VERY closely with her Ladyship in designing the grounds. Some parts of which were very secluded.

You old barsteward you :005:

Vinnieffc

I grew up in the belief that I was descended of Irish Royalty by my parents. It wasn't until I looked into it some 30 years ago that I found that 'Royalty' was related to the ancient clans - ergo virtually every Irish person has 'royal' blood. Burst my bubble and I've got no-one to peel me a grape  :016:

grandad

Quote from: epsomraver on January 07, 2014, 11:03:55 AM

My Lord if you please. Where are your manners.
092.gif  :031:

Burt

Quote from: grandad on January 07, 2014, 11:23:38 AM

I guess a good test would be to see whether you have inherited any "green finger" gardening genes!

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

grandad

Quote from: Burt on January 07, 2014, 11:56:53 AM
Quote from: grandad on January 07, 2014, 11:23:38 AM

I guess a good test would be to see whether you have inherited any "green finger" gardening genes!
Well where ever I planted my seeds things seemed to grow.!!!

Logicalman

Mr CH, well done that man. I joined Ancestory.com a couple of yerars back and have undertaken to trace my familt tree as well. It's all plain sailing for the first couple of hundred years, then it gets a little more sticky I found.

I did discover my roots lie in East London (3 generations back) and further back than one branch hails from the West Country.

Seriously interesting stuff.

jarv

Which site do you go to in order to get started? I have been thinking about it for a while. I am interested in both sides, I know my father's side came to Scotland from England about 3 generations ago but mother's side is Scottish through and through as far as I am aware..

jarv

Just seen Tony's reply. Question answered.

The Old Count

My family came over with the Druids

Bob and Maureen Druid of Dawes Road

jmh

Quote from: The Old Count on January 07, 2014, 03:26:04 PM
My family came over with the Druids

Bob and Maureen Druid of Dawes Road
I hear no one knows who they were or what they were doing.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

My family name:  Penycate is supposed to be from the west country, although my Dad and various other Penycate's were/are from around the Haslemere/Guildford area.
In Wales there's a town called PEN-Y-CAE which means something like 'house on the hill'
Many years ago when my daughter and I were going to a Wrexham v Fulham game we diverted
to the 'Hamlet'  and took a picture of the sign, with my daughters head between the A and E.
Great picture which sadly got lost in various 'moves'
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

b+w geezer

When working for a publisher in Soho, I was near to a sign commemorating the birthplace and childhood home of the 18th century poet and painter William Blake (author of e.g. `Jerusalem'). Have just discovered that my folks were living in that very house in 1891. There were three other families there -- the adults were tailors, domestic servants, shop assistants, a labourer......who would hardly be able to afford to live in that spot today -- five minute walk from Oxford Circus in one direction and Piccadilly in the other!

By 1901 my lot had moved to just north of Oxford Sreet -- again two to a room, but again what a situation! A one-bedroom flat seemingly in the same Victorian house that they inhabited is currently on the market for £1.2 million. Hardly in the price range of them or their then hotel- and shopworker neighbours.

As noted above, Ancestry.co.uk is the route to this kind of stuff.

TonyGilroy

From my grandparents time my ancestry is in Russia and Poland. I'd like to investigate but is this possible with Ancestry.co.uk or is it limited to the UK?