watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz off on loan

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, January 09, 2014, 01:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b+w geezer

The Premier League Owl piece is well written, but of course he did arrive 12 months before Berba. Moreover that first season, prior to Berba, had its best phase during Bryan's absence through injury -- not necessarily cause and and effect, but still the case.

There was then the issue of how to fit him and Berba together and it's easy to agree that he suffered from being stuck on the wing. But he was *sometimes* played more centrally behind a striker and (I've quoted the Burton example) with wingers to feed -- without signs of promise. We had imagined that he'd become more effective as he acclimatised, but it just didn't happen.

nose

i really fail to understand the fiction written in much of this thread.

it didn't matter where ruiz was played he rarely managed more tan the odd touch here and there.often caught dwelling on the ball, usually unable to play a quick pass needing to turn three times using the oustside of the foot,  slowing the pace of the game down for no reason. not able to adapt to life in the english game, even against burton.

I have been a critic of sendeross but for his sheer enthusiasm and comitment I am able to indulge his senderosness, but ruiz does not try hard enough, the game simply passes him by. He usually looks like a lost infant schoolboy, he was out of his deppth at burton and couldn't even hit the target wit a penalty. He has had long enough and as they said in Pulp Fiction, 'if he was gonna make it, he would have made it by now', or something like that.

Good luck elsewhere!

Whitesideup

Quote from: FPT on January 09, 2014, 02:14:31 PM
I stick with that it was a Fulham problem not a Ruiz problem but it's simply an argument I can't be bothered to have.

Good luck to him, clear ability and I will probably watch him in La Liga happily as his true talent will be shining through.
Not an argument you can be bothered with? Then why post it? I disagree, but you know what, I can't be bothered to argue the point. You are in a minority of about two, though this may be overestimating level of support for your point of view.

Admin

I first saw Ruiz make his debut at home against Blackburn I think. He was mugged off the ball within his first 2-3 touches, they scored and since that day, I knew he'd never make it in the Premiership. Just like Martin Jol, the Ruiz fiasco has been a long, painful, drawn out process and one I'm glad to see the back of. 

Azeedo

Quote from: nose on January 09, 2014, 06:48:14 PM

it didn't matter where ruiz was played he rarely managed more tan the odd touch here and there.often caught dwelling on the ball, usually unable to play a quick pass needing to turn three times using the oustside of the foot,  slowing the pace of the game down for no reason. not able to adapt to life in the english game, even against burton.

I have been a critic of sendeross but for his sheer enthusiasm and comitment I am able to indulge his senderosness, but ruiz does not try hard enough, the game simply passes him by. He usually looks like a lost infant schoolboy, he was out of his deppth at burton and couldn't even hit the target wit a penalty. He has had long enough and as they said in Pulp Fiction, 'if he was gonna make it, he would have made it by now', or something like that.

Good luck elsewhere!
[/quo
Well Ruiz almost single handed won the dutch league for a Twente, what have you done in you life? post the most ignorant rants.

Pluto

Quote from: Furby on January 09, 2014, 05:44:30 PM
I'm on the side of feeling sad about this like a few others have already mentioned. This well written piece shares my thoughts entirely.

Source: Premier League Owl

Although Ruiz hasn't had the best time in England, and his move to the Premier League will be retrospectively assessed as a failure, my opinion of him as a player really hasn't changed, and that's really because the conditions for him to succeed have never been in place at Fulham.

Over the past two-and-a-half seasons, Ruiz has frequently been used in wider positions when evidently his skill-set is suited to a central-role. His primary attributes – his vision and his passing – are marginalised when deployed close to the touchline, and he has subsequently found it very difficult to influence games from those areas.

It's easy to criticise Martin Jol for that, because on the surface it appears like a clear misallocation of resources, but remember that Ruiz's time at Fulham runs almost parallel to that of Dimitar Berbatov, and there's some significant overlap between where the Costa Rican would be best-utilised and where the Bulgarian ultimately plays – Jol, more often than not, seemed to accommodate one at the expense of the other.

My philosophy with creative attacking-midfielders is fairly simple: they need pace around them to be effective. Had Ruiz had two wingers who provided a vertical threat either side of him, and a forward who played off the back-shoulder of a defence ahead of him, his statistical return in the Premier League would probably have been far more significant – pace is a simple commodity, but it creates passing channels and space for playmakers to take advantage of. Whilst Ruiz never truly adjusted to English football – and that's something he must take some responsibility for – it's easy to argue that Fulham failed to put the players around him who would have helped make his transfer a success.

If he does move, then he will just be remembered as an advanced bit of technology that Martin Jol never fully knew how to use: buttons were pressed, cool things occasionally happened, but ultimately nobody bothered to read the instruction manual.

:plus one: Well written and sums up my thoughts exactly. Ruiz seems like a nice bloke, I wish him every success in the future.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 09, 2014, 02:43:00 PM
I think his two main weaknesses are that he's not versatile/adaptable enough nor is he assertive enough. Ruiz will do well in a team with the players that support his abilities, something which hasn't been the case here.  It's part his fault for not being able to change his style of play, but also the club's (manager and board) for spending so much on him (fee debatable,) and not doing enough to accommodate.

Similar to when Man Utd signed Veron - absolutely extraordinary player, just at the wrong time for the club as they had a defined team for 75% of the games and not enough was done to best use his skill set.
Yes. His skills are not under any even the slightest doubt.
Wrong player at the wrong time and place
Good luck to him
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

K33NY

He deserves good luck. He without doubt have skills but isnt suited for us. He deserves to come into a place he may be more suited and play regurearely and play well.

Good luck Ruiz

PLB

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 09, 2014, 02:48:59 PM
I think he was poorly served by Fulham. Jol bought him and seemed to have no idea how to get the best out of a truly talented, clever player. Then I think he just lost heart and was asked to defend more than attack. Very sad he couldn't make it here because with a better manager he could have been great. Now we are struggling we cannot afford the time and space players like Ruiz could give us.

Perfectly put IMO Lighthouse.

Jack Fulham

Spanish football will be perfect for him. Still scored some great goals and got a lot of assists during his time even though it was a poor one. I imagine we will see him causing England problems for Costa Rica come the world cup.

ltd-ffc

remember after his first couple of games it was evident that the only player on his wave length was dempsey shame we wont see that again.

good luck to him nice bloke he would of succeeded in the central role if he was a bit taller or better at jumping and also a stone heavier/stronger
"Happy that Middlesbrough didn't go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy" Ryan Tunnicliffe June 2015

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ltd-ffc on January 10, 2014, 01:19:41 PM
remember after his first couple of games it was evident that the only player on his wave length was dempsey shame we wont see that again.

good luck to him nice bloke he would of succeeded in the central role if he was a bit taller or better at jumping and also a stone heavier/stronger
He's about 6'5. I don't think height is a problem.

nose

Quote from: Azeedo on January 10, 2014, 12:16:19 AM

it didn't matter where ruiz was played he rarely managed more tan the odd touch here and there.often caught dwelling on the ball, usually unable to play a quick pass needing to turn three times using the oustside of the foot,  slowing the pace of the game down for no reason. not able to adapt to life in the english game, even against burton.

Good luck elsewhere!
[/quo
Well Ruiz almost single handed won the dutch league for a Twente, what have you done in you life? post the most ignorant rants.

Where did that bit of personal unpleasantness come from? Rant? Maybe, I am prone, but ignorant I think not. I have continued to back up my objection with specific issues. Like his lack of desire to move the bakll quickly, the turning this way and that, delaying play, not being quick or strong enough.
What he may have done elsewhere is totally irlevant, he has underachieved dramatically for us!

What i have done is actually none of your business.

Logicalman

Quote from: nose on January 10, 2014, 02:10:11 PM

Good luck elsewhere!

Where did that bit of personal unpleasantness come from? Rant? Maybe, I am prone, but ignorant I think not. I have continued to back up my objection with specific issues. Like his lack of desire to move the bakll quickly, the turning this way and that, delaying play, not being quick or strong enough.
What he may have done elsewhere is totally irlevant, he has underachieved dramatically for us!

OK you two, cool it down, stop getting personal, and that includes the 'fiction' statement as well.

nose

Good luck elsewhere!
[/quo

What he may have done elsewhere is totally irrelevant, he has underachieved dramatically for us!

And another thing.. I actually attend most games, no matter what the weather, and it has been stinking here recently and I think somebody who actually watches the game live speaks with more authority than somebody who watches on TV especially when it comes to how much effort an individual is putting in..

nose

Quote from: Logicalman on January 10, 2014, 02:18:14 PM

it didn't matter where ruiz was played he rarely managed more tan the odd touch here and there.often caught dwelling on the ball, usually unable to play a quick pass needing to turn three times using the oustside of the foot,  slowing the pace of the game down for no reason. not able to adapt to life in the english game, even against burton.

Good luck elsewhere!

OK you two, cool it down, stop getting personal, and that includes the 'fiction' statement as well.

OK your right I shall calm myself down!   
But... the issue of the fiction is, and I know i may get a bit over emotional, but really for 2 and half years ruiz has failed to impress. Some of the comments here suggest he had a series of consecutive decent performances and he didn't. He had the odd flash here and there.
If he was really badly done by then wouldn't rene have given him a better chance? We need quality players and he would be playing.

And despite everyuthing, I do wiish ruiz well, I have nothing against him personally and if he does well elsewhere then that is a very good thing

Parkway Drive

Just seen the RM youtube preview and it sounds like offloading him for good is an option as well if a good offer comes in. Which is a shame but it definitely hasn't worked for Bryan here.