News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

And end to Michael Bradley updates. A DEAL IS DONE.

Started by FPT, January 09, 2014, 10:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

I know I've hogged the messageboard with updates with regards to Michael Bradley, but this is the very last one as the deal is DONE.

Last week, Michael Bradley was close to a loan move to Fulham.

In the last couple of days, Toronto raced viciously to get their man and Michael Bradley is now an official Toronto FC player for $10m and $6.5m a year for six years.

Deal is complete.

btings

USA Today's online sports section currently has the headline, "U.S. star leaves top club for terrible soccer team".

Jack Fulham

With the title. I thought you meant a deal has been done with us. Shame it hasn't but can't blame him. Gets to return home and earn a stupid amount of money for doing so.

Just realised its Toronto... well closer to home.

K33NY

Quote from: btings on January 09, 2014, 10:53:03 PM

USA Today's online sports section currently has the headline, "U.S. star leaves top club for terrible soccer team".

064.gif 064.gif 064.gif

PaulUMD

I'm still not sure this is real.  Assuming this is some sort of Inception thing, or alternate reality. 

zschwartz

disappointing. but congrats to him and his heirs.

K33NY

Quote from: PaulUMD on January 10, 2014, 12:28:59 AM
I'm still not sure this is real.  Assuming this is some sort of Inception thing, or alternate reality. 

Its true, saw it myself before, if it was the picture you where refering to?
And Roma has confirmed it on theire webpage, under player transactions. http://www.asroma.it/pdf/corporate/operazioni_di_mercato/2014_09_01_Bradley.pdf

RidgeRider

Good for him. If a Prem team like Fulham is unwilling to step up to the plate and make a strong offer, then why not go where you are wanted?....and wanted means they will pay you. He is unlikely to lose his position on the USMNT by playing in the MLS and he is closer to home. Good for him. If Fulham wanted him bad enough, they would have offered him a comparable deal, they didn't, and we won't see him in a Fulham kit.

nevzter

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 10, 2014, 01:43:40 AM
Good for him. If a Prem team like Fulham is unwilling to step up to the plate and make a strong offer, then why not go where you are wanted?....and wanted means they will pay you. He is unlikely to lose his position on the USMNT by playing in the MLS and he is closer to home. Good for him. If Fulham wanted him bad enough, they would have offered him a comparable deal, they didn't, and we won't see him in a Fulham kit.

Good point, and well, that's what it comes down to.  Seems $$$ (and being back in N.A., and playing time after a winter lay off) was the impetus for the move and if Fulham had put it up, then who knows...I still think he may be off after the World Cup and Toronto/MLS may receive a nice transfer fee.

I don't want to confuse Mr. Bradley with the be and end all of Fulham's season this year, but he could've helped.  However, there's a dozen players out there that offer the same improvement to the club as Mr. Bradley - find them and sign them.

COYW!!
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

PaulUMD

I love him as a player, he's like a metronome...keeps possession, organizes and dictates the rhythm of the game.  But I'm not sure he's sooooo different than what Parker/Sidwell provide and while his offensive skill is often overlooked, I would still rather have a more creative option in the central midfield given the current squad.   

Bradley is a hell of a player and he'll be successful wherever he goes.  But all of us Yanks have our little inferiority complex and the need to prove ourselves as a footballing nation to Europe and it's tough to see two of our best head stateside in a matter of months.  Especially Mikey given his age and being an important piece on one of the continent's best teams.

Holders

It's a shame that he didn't want to prepare himself properly for the most important tournament he'll play in in his career or perhaps he just thinks that the group is too strong whatever he did in which case just take the money.

Interesting to see the US news reaction.

Whatever criticism Dempsey got, at least he left for a valid professional reason. This bloke just doesn't seem in the same class.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

btings

I think a lot of American soccer fans are pretty conflicted about this move.  But it's an awful lot of money -- if I'm doing the math right, beyond Fulham's alleged wage cap, and ridiculously more than he was getting at Roma.  An important value in American sports culture is to succeed at the highest level possible.  But another American value is: get paid.

PokerMatt

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 10, 2014, 01:43:40 AM

But when is a strong offer a ludicrous offer? £4m a year (near enough £80k a week) for a player who, in fairness, hasn't taken any league by storm in his career is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

If the height of his ambition is to keep his place in the US team then we can do without him thanks. Many players have turned down bigger paydays for the sake of their career and to prove themselves at as high a level as possible. Can't blame him for doing so, but he's gone down a lot in my and I'm sure a lot of other people's estimations because of it. And I applaud the club for not matching Toronto's outrageous offer.  Remember Leeds?

At these prices, I for one am happy to see him go elsewhere.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

westcliff white

if the 6,500,000 dollars per year is correct that's akin to 125,000 dollars a week we would never pay that. its not a case of stepping up and paying what he believes he is worth, it is a case of paying what we can afford. I am sure i read yesterday Roma said a loan deal had been agreed then toronto made their offer. So be it, if he had wanted to play in the prem he would have come, but sometimes money is more important for the future, each to their own, good luck to him.
Every day is a Fulham day

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

westcliff white

125,000 dollars a week is around £77,000 i think
Every day is a Fulham day

Alan

Am I the only one that thinks MLS clubs are paying a lot of money for "names" in their 30's? It could be the worst decision over there...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

FFC1987

Not that I agree with his decision and what not, BUT every league has to start from somewhere and its clear that as people seem to be harping on about this player, the fact they attracted him and a load of has beens shows that the MLS is slowly immerging. Don't get me wrong, its still a pretty poor standard but its definitly showing signs of incline.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Alan on January 10, 2014, 09:43:41 AM
Am I the only one that thinks MLS clubs are paying a lot of money for "names" in their 30's? It could be the worst decision over there...

They do. But Bradley is 26.

They currently can't get many players in their prime, so are trying to boost their attractiveness by getting big names at the end of their careers - Beckham, Henry, Marquez and Nesta have all been signed in recent years.