News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are a second tier club - get used to it.

Started by win-dup, January 11, 2014, 09:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

Always have been and always will be. When we do get into the top league we mostly  every year just hang on and really just make up the numbers. Always lose the vital game (exception 1975) gutless players useless management absentee owner who couldn't give a toss for anything but his stupid NFL team. Division 2, or whatever it's called these days here we come.

DukeTyrion

At least we will not be a tier 4 team.

In fact, given where we were 20 years ago, at least we are still a club!

win-dup

Quote from: DukeTyrion on January 11, 2014, 09:24:47 PM
At least we will not be a tier 4 team.

In fact, given where we were 20 years ago, at least we are still a club!

give it another two seasons and we probably will be!

Sgt Fulham

'Making up the numbers', I don't think so. During our 13 year run in the top flight we have had many amazing results and upsets that turned many heads (Fulham 3-0 Man Utd) comes to mind. We have reached a Europa league final after defying all odds to stay up just 2 seasons prior to that. I would take mid table Premiership mediocrity over Championship mediocrity any day and love seeing us hold our own against the bigger teams (not this season).

Our downfall is that we spend like a tier 2 club, and we will drop down to our rightful place as you put it, as a result.

win-dup

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 11, 2014, 09:35:05 PM
'Making up the numbers', I don't think so. During our 13 year run in the top flight we have had many amazing results and upsets that turned many heads (Fulham 3-0 Man Utd) comes to mind. We have reached a Europa league final after defying all odds to stay up just 2 seasons prior to that. I would take mid table Premiership mediocrity over Championship mediocrity any day and love seeing us hold our own against the bigger teams (not this season).

Our downfall is that we spend like a tier 2 club, and we will drop down to our rightful place as you put it, as a result.

absolutely, but despite those great days and great results they are the exception rather than the rule. Forgive my despair but it's the same old story with Fulham and I'm tired of it.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: win-dup on January 11, 2014, 09:39:28 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 11, 2014, 09:35:05 PM

absolutely, but despite those great days and great results they are the exception rather than the rule. Forgive my despair but it's the same old story with Fulham and I'm tired of it.

True, but that only becomes the rule if you spend a lot of money, like Chelsea or Man City. For me if we won like that every week by spending hundreds of millions it would devalue the experience. One of the main attractions to supporting fulham for me is for the rare and magical moments outlined above. The buzz I had after the Juventus, Hamburg and Man City games was indescribable and one of the things glory hunters will likely never experience.

When things are going badly like they are now I can understand the feeling of frustration and left the stadium today feeling gutted, annoyed and miserable. However this is the price we pay for being Fulham supporters, and for me it is worth it. The most frustrating thing about our situation is the fact that it was so easily preventable and it feels incompetence has sentenced our club to relegation.

Through thick and thin, FTID!

Fulham76

14 consecutive seasons, (so far), isn't a 2nd tier club. We've had good seasons & not so good premier league seasons. This one may turn out to be sheeeet but 2nd tier we haven't been.
Silly thread

win-dup

Quote from: Fulham76 on January 11, 2014, 09:55:53 PM
14 consecutive seasons, (so far), isn't a 2nd tier club. We've had good seasons & not so good premier league seasons. This one may turn out to be sheeeet but 2nd tier we haven't been.
Silly thread

14 + 3 (1949-1951) + 10 (1959-1969) = 27 years in the top flight out of a total of 124 years of existence. You were saying?

Scrumpy

B*gger me, let's not just throw in the towel! Anyone would think that we were bottom of the table and 10 points adrift.

2 wins our of last 4 in the league. Yes, we have some serious issues in defence but Brede will help, when he's fit again.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Fulham76

Quote from: win-dup on January 11, 2014, 10:02:53 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on January 11, 2014, 09:55:53 PM
Silly thread

14 + 3 (1949-1951) + 10 (1959-1969) = 27 years in the top flight out of a total of 124 years of existence. You were saying?

So, to establish our current level we need to forget where we are currently & look 124 in to the past???
Immediately prior to our 14 years in the premier league we spent 5 years on the up - under Adams & when Al Fayed took over.
19 - 20 years isn't a flash in the plan. It's progression & 14 years establishing ourselves in the worlds best & toughest league.
Your comment states 'we are' a 2nd tier club, which we are not & haven't been for a long time. That's what I was saying.

Burt

I have never viewed us as a top club.

Having started supporting the club since 1974 I have seen us play in all 4 leagues, I have seen much mediocrity, I was at Anfield when we lost 0-10, etc. I could go on.

So my expectations have always been relatively low.

For me, when we were promoted to the premier league there is no way I would have expected us to stay up as long as we have. We are a relatively small club with modest resources.

Each year in the premier league has been a blessing, not a divine right.

And as for reaching the Europa final, not many clubs achieve that.

Not sure where I am going with this.

Save to say I will continue turning up, no matter what.

Berserker

You're my hero sometimes Burt
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Burt on January 11, 2014, 10:13:22 PM

Having started supporting the club since 1974 I have seen us play in all 4 leagues, I have seen much mediocrity, I was at Anfield when we lost 0-10, etc. I could go on.

For me, when we were promoted to the premier league there is no way I would have expected us to stay up as long as we have. We are a relatively small club with modest resources.

We should make this post the Fulham prayer.
Amen.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

K33NY

Quote from: Burt on January 11, 2014, 10:13:22 PM

You just brought my optimism and spirit back!!

Lighthouse

What a load of Tosh Chamberlain. We could have been a good Prem side with a bit of effort and a bit of investment. But the Directors had the same attitude as some of our fans. OOOO what a privilege it is to be in the Prem. We don't deserve to be here. Let's just fade away and be true to ourselves and not try to improve.

The club deserve to be relegated. They have made little or no investment because we were scared of actually trying to compete at a better level. Look at clubs like Everton. They can do it but have better support in numbers and supporters who believe in themselves.

Sadly we are a small club with small minded Directors and fans who seem to think we don't deserve to be in the Prem and must hang on to what money we had. Congrats you have what you want. A small club that at the height of their success became too scared to push on. So instead are slowly dying. So very sad.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope