watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

let in too many goals

Started by nose, January 12, 2014, 10:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

but it isn't entirely the back 4s fault.
whilst there were some lamentable displays, yesterday the problem was entirely about lack of balance in midfield and lack of apparent energy in the centre of midfield. when rene started the key difference was how we zipped about snapping into every tackle, swarming all over the player in possesion, fighting for any lost possesion. but that simply didn't happen yesterday and the back 4 were left very exposed. unlike other i thought parker had his worst game in ages. not because he is a bad player but was being used diffently. I think he operates best when sitting just in front of the centre backs,, he protects them, organises them there and allows sidwell to break forward quickly.

as it was it seemed to me sidwell was sitting deeper and that was less good. also taarabat just behind berba isn't ideal, he is too indisciplined. he was better as the striker when berba didn't play, and in fact we were actually better when berba didn't play (and i a a fan of his).

the change in tactics seemed to come with wilkins/curbs and I think rene needs to go back to what he did first and up the tempo... we miss karagounis (i never thought i would say that) and also hughes. duff and dempsey were a disastorous mistake.... and yet we had enough chances to win.

rene needs to stand up for himself and go back to what we did best in the last few weeks.

Baszab

Absolutely right (again)

Shape was wrong - we lost the shape anyway - should play with a winger - and some midfield cover for the full backs - even Richardson would have been preferable to Dempsey -  - Roy used to drill the 2 x banks of 4 up and down the pitch without a ball for hours to get their positional shape and cover meticulously practised!!

I also thought Parker had a poor game - he was certainly sulking - probably another tiff with Berbatov

stokesy

karagounis gives us an uplift. when he plays pushes forward with his runs, and makes us play at a higher tempo. which was shown in the first few of rennes games in charge.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: stokesy on January 12, 2014, 11:08:44 AM
karagounis gives us an uplift. when he plays pushes forward with his runs, and makes us play at a higher tempo. which was shown in the first few of rennes games in charge.

Karagounis is class.  Pity MAF did not finance a fountain of youth in Bishop's Park.

grandad

I am afraid the selection of both Duff & Dempsey as outside inside wingers was wrong. Neither have pace & we were crying out for proper wingers to pull their defence wide giving Berba & Taarabt more room. We are best with Kaca & Ash playing wide.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JBH

Unfortunately Stockdale has gone backwards and no longer warrants a place in rhe side even when steklenberg is injured

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: nose on January 12, 2014, 10:34:25 AM
whilst there were some lamentable displays, yesterday the problem was entirely about lack of balance in midfield and lack of apparent energy in the centre of midfield. when rene started the key difference was how we zipped about snapping into every tackle, swarming all over the player in possesion, fighting for any lost possesion. but that simply didn't happen yesterday and the back 4 were left very exposed. unlike other i thought parker had his worst game in ages. not because he is a bad player but was being used diffently. I think he operates best when sitting just in front of the centre backs,, he protects them, organises them there and allows sidwell to break forward quickly.

as it was it seemed to me sidwell was sitting deeper and that was less good. also taarabat just behind berba isn't ideal, he is too indisciplined. he was better as the striker when berba didn't play, and in fact we were actually better when berba didn't play (and i a a fan of his).

the change in tactics seemed to come with wilkins/curbs and I think rene needs to go back to what he did first and up the tempo... we miss karagounis (i never thought i would say that) and also hughes. duff and dempsey were a disastorous mistake.... and yet we had enough chances to win.

rene needs to stand up for himself and go back to what we did best in the last few weeks.

We weren't better without Berba in my opinion. Taarabt linked play well and showed some nice skill but never really carried the same goal threat as Berba, because he simply didn't get in the box and resorted to taking long pot shots. It's difficult to know where to play Taarabt, but he has the potential to be a great player so it's worth trying to fit him in.

nose

Quote from: The Moose on January 12, 2014, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: nose on January 12, 2014, 10:34:25 AM

We weren't better without Berba in my opinion. Taarabt linked play well and showed some nice skill but never really carried the same goal threat as Berba, because he simply didn't get in the box and resorted to taking long pot shots. It's difficult to know where to play Taarabt, but he has the potential to be a great player so it's worth trying to fit him in.

Didn't you think we looked brilliant against a really top class man city.

I agree taarabat took a while to get going and he certainly is no long term center foorward AND he has little between the ears. But we played a much higher tempo without berba and it seemed to suit us better. But the main thing is i do not believe berba is anywhere near firing on all cylinders, i love him and if he was at his best i would automatically pick him, but the berba we have at the moment looks jaded.

Baszab

He's jaded because he's off - for sure - shame, but not enough application for a bottom 3 side

Pluto

I'd bring Karagounis back and play with a flat 3 in the middle. He works hard, can pass, and can strike a ball.