more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (17/01/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 16, 2014, 07:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Meulensteen: Berbatov focussed on Fulham ahead of Arsenal test

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen does not believe Dimitar Berbatov has any extra incentive to impress against Arsenal when the Cottagers head to the Emirates this weekend.

The Bulgarian striker, who is out of contract in the summer, has been heavily linked with a January move to Arsenal due to Arsene Wenger's shortage of forward options.

But Meulensteen insists the 32-year-old is fully focused on lifting Fulham away from their relegation battle and will not have anything else on his mind when they travel to north London on Saturday.

When asked about Berbatov's state of mind ahead of the fixture, Meulensteen said: "He's a Fulham player and that's how we prepare. We've had no problem at all.

"Why am I so confident? Because I know him, I know how he is. Berba sees this as an important game for Fulham, which has become even more important because of the result against Sunderland (a 4-1 defeat).

"It's going to be difficult enough - look at the form that Arsenal are in - so I am not thinking about that for one minute, and I am sure he won't."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/meulensteen-berbatov-focussed-fulham-ahead-arsenal-test-14011675924#1Dmj3maTzP7VpzxH.99

WhiteJC

Ravel Morrison is not angling for a move to Fulham, says West Ham assistant manager Neil McDonald
West Ham refute transfer claims after reporting Fulham for making an illegal approach for their midfielder

Frustration: Ravel Morrison says he is working hard to get back to full fitness
Photo: PA

West Ham United assistant manager Neil McDonald has played down reports that midfielder Ravel Morrison is angling for a move to Fulham.

West Ham reported Fulham to the Premier League on Wednesday after Rene Meulensteen had said Morrison was keen to link up with him at Craven Cottage.

Following their 3-0 win over Norwich in the FA Cup, Meulensteen had said: "Yes, we did make a bid. I think he does want to come. He would add pace, power, unpredictability and a real attacking threat.

"I don't know what the situation is now, because that's left with (club director) Alistair Macintosh."

The quotes angered West Ham, who would have been further irked by reports on Thursday suggesting Morrison was preparing to go on strike to push through a move.

McDonald said that was not the case and that the England Under-21 international, who worked with Meulensteen when the Dutchman was first team coach at Manchester United, is happy at Upton Park as he strives for full fitness following a groin problem.

"It is all media reports and whatever has been said... I think the club and the Premier League are dealing with that so I'd prefer not to dwell on that any more," he said.

"There seems to be a story about Rav every week. The lad comes in and trains, sometimes he has had a little bit of a groin injury, but we've man-managed that. He trained on Wednesday with a huge, big smile on his face with the rest of the squad so (reports he may go on strike) are news to me.

"We look forward to him being in the squad on Saturday, he should be fit, he's been training with the lads and he's brought a lot of joy, especially with winning against Cardiff - he cheered everyone up when he came back as well."

McDonald revealed West Ham want the 20-year-old to stay and challenged Morrison to prove he is worthy of a place in Sam Allardyce's side, but also said a big offer may tempt the club to sell.

When asked if the club wanted to keep the player, McDonald replied: "Well why not? But he needs to get into the team and he needs to be consistent. I imagine every player has a price.

"He had a great run of three or four games where he was outstanding but he's a young kid and he's still learning the game.

"He goes through inconsistency to a certain extent and he's had a little bit of a groin injury as well so that's stop and start."

Morrison later told West Ham's official website: "Although it is frustrating to read some of the reports in the media, I always try to keep my focus on the next game and show people with my performances on the pitch that I want to do well for West Ham United.

"I've been working really hard over the past few weeks to get back to full fitness after missing a couple of recent games with a groin injury.

"I'm feeling fine now and I'm hoping to be involved in Saturday's important game with Newcastle and then the Capital One Cup semi-final with Manchester City on Tuesday."

Edited by Ben Bloom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/10576973/Ravel-Morrison-is-not-angling-for-a-move-to-Fulham-says-West-Ham-assistant-manager-Neil-McDonald.html

WhiteJC

Transfer news: No comment from Rene Meulensteen on Fulham targets

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen refused to comment on his January transfer targets at his press conference ahead of Saturday's game at Arsenal.

Meulensteen revealed on Tuesday his club had made an unsuccessful bid to sign Ravel Morrison from West Ham and his quotes prompted a complaint from the Hammers to the Premier League.

The Cottagers have also been linked with West Ham midfielder Mo Diame and Manchester United winger Nani - but the Dutchman refused to say any more.

When asked about any targets the club might have, he said: "I am not going to make any comments on transfers because it is going to get me into trouble.

"It is wiser at this moment in time that we are not going to comment on anything that is happening in regards to any transfer news or speculation.

"Things are in hand with the club, with (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh and that's where I want to leave it."

Meulensteen was, however, prepared to discuss Costa Rica and former FC Twente striker Bryan Ruiz, who has left Fulham to join PSV Eindhoven on loan for the rest of the season.

He said: "I think one of the reasons Bryan wanted to go back to Holland was because he had such a good time there and he wants to get playing.

"A club like PSV showed an interest and with the World Cup coming up, I don't want to stand in his way in that respect so we let him go on loan."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9118659?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham reveal they have not been contacted by Arsenal about Dimitar Berbatov

The Bulgarian has been strongly linked with a move away from Craven Cottage this month

Fulham say they have not had any enquiries for unsettled striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian forward has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal this month as Arsene Wenger seeks back-up to his first choice forward Olivier Giroud.

Earlier this month, Barbatov's agent said his client was keen to leave Fulham while the player himself has done little to quell speculation, even posting a video with the title 'Berbatov could fire Arsenal to the title' on his Facebook page.

However, a Fulham spokesman today said there had been no contact.

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen added: "No. There is no problem at all, he is a Fulham player."

The Gunners will have an opportunity to get a closer look at the former Manchester United forward on Saturday when Fulham visit the Emirates.

It will also be a chance for Berbatov, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, to show off his talents. However, Meulensteen insists the 32-year-old will be focused on his current club.

"I know how he is and Berba sees this as an important game against Arsenal."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-fulham-reveal-they-have-not-been-contacted-by-arsenal-about-dimitar-berbatov-9064684.html

WhiteJC

René's Arsenal Preview

René Meulensteen is keen to see his side add some consistency to their results after watching the Whites bounce back from a heavy defeat by Sunderland with a comfortable FA Cup with Budweiser victory over Norwich City.

"If you look at it, there were nine changes in the team against Norwich," Meulensteen said in Thursday's press conference ahead of Fulham's trip to Arsenal. "Big positives to come out of that were that Maarten [Stekelenburg] came back into the team after his injury and Brede [Hangeland] played his first game for a long, long time.

"We also gave Dan Burn another chance in that position and then around them were players that I've played in and out, in and out, in and out, so you're still trying to get that consistency.

"It's very evident that if you're playing in different competitions, in the Barclays Premier League and the FA Cup, that the key is to utilise your squad as best you can. That's what we did on Tuesday and we got a fantastic result on the back of that, but the Sunderland game was again another freak scoreline where you're dominating the game in the first 20 minutes where you should get your noses in front, and we didn't and it cost us.

"Then it becomes hard work to get back into the game, which again we did, and the turning point was when they scored to make it 3-1 – that killed us off. But, again, you look at the game and you review it and you think how is this scoreline coming about? What we did address on Tuesday in the Norwich match was that we needed to get more solid. Apart from the first five minutes where we had a bit of a scare, and the first five minutes in the second half, I think we did pretty well."

Victory at the Emirates on Saturday would be Meulensteen's first time leading Fulham to back-to-back wins, but our Head Coach acknowledged that a tough challenge awaits at the home of the current Premier League leaders.

"I've always had a lot of respect for Arsenal as a club," he admitted. "It's a fantastic club with the way they want to play football. Arsenal have got no secrets, they've had no secrets for the last eight years. They're players that play. They won't change, that's what they are. You know what you're going to be up against – you're going to be up against a very good football team with some very good individuals.

"Arsene [Wenger] has been there now for so many years; that's why I say there aren't too many secrets that we're going to be coming up against. They're a fantastic football team and I think for many, many seasons they've picked up the sort of accolades of being the team that plays the most beautiful football."

The Gunners' barren spell without winning a trophy in recent times is well documented, with sceptics suggesting Wenger's side don't have enough about them to maintain their assault on the Premier League.

But Meulensteen insists that they will certainly be in the running for the title come May, although he admits the 2013/14 campaign has proven to be highly unpredictable.

"I think they've got a very good chance, compared to the previous seasons," he said. "I keep saying this is going to be the most exciting end to a Premier League season for a long, long time – at the top and bottom because, regardless of where you are in the league, you've got something to play for.

"And that makes it very exciting for all the fans, for all the neutrals, because there are fireworks going off everywhere in the table."

When quizzed as to why Arsenal have been such a force this season, Meulensteen highlighted the contributions of three individuals, commenting: "I think the buy of [Mesut] Özil, the fact that [Olivier] Giroud goes into his second season – he knows what the Premier League is about now – he's scored a few goals now which gives a lot of confidence.

"And the fact that Aaron Ramsey started to step up to the plate with regards to his performances which have been very positive. So all that added up has resulted in them being where they are and they've had a very good season, of course.

"They're very confident at the moment because they're up there. If you compare that to recent seasons, they haven't been up there, now they're up there constantly. They know every game is so important in making sure they stay up there and only time will tell which teams will sustain that. That's why I think it's going to be one of the most fascinating ends to a season."

Meulensteen will have practically a clean bill of health for the short trip across London on Saturday, with concerns over just one member of his First Team squad.

"The only doubt which we need to have a look at is Fernando Amorebieta who came off with a little niggle on Wednesday in training," he explained. "It was some sort of a tweak in one of the ligaments around the knee. We kept him out of training on Thursday so we'll assess him ahead of the game and see how he comes out on Friday. Further than that, it's all good."

If Amorebieta is unable to take part in the clash, Dan Burn will no doubt be pushing hard for a role in the squad after impressing in the two FA Cup games against Norwich.

The giant central defender was recalled from his loan spell at Birmingham City ahead of schedule to allow Meulensteen a closer look at what he has to offer, and the Head Coach stated that Burn certainly has a part to play at the Club.

"At the moment, his future is here," he confirmed. "He impressed me a lot in the first game when he came in for Norwich away. He then stayed here so we could have more access to him and see him in training, that's why he played again against Norwich and I thought he did extremely well.

"He's matured a lot – credit to Lee Clark and Steve Watson at Birmingham for what they've done for him because that's what you want from loan deals."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/16/renes-arsenal-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender doubtful for Arsenal trip

Amorebieta faces late fitness test ahead of clash at the Emirates

Fulham will give a late fitness test to defender Fernando Amorebieta ahead of Saturday's clash with Arsenal.

The Venezuelan centre-back suffered a knee injury in training earlier this week and is a slight doubt for the trip to the Emirates.

However, youngster Dan Burn is expected to be included in the squad after impressing in the FA Cup win against Norwich in midweek, while Scott Parker and Dimitar Berbatov will return to the side.

Boss Rene Meulensteen said: "Fernando Amorebieta came off with a little niggle on Wednesday in training. It was some sort of a tweak in one of the ligaments around the knee.

"We kept him out of training on Thursday so we'll assess him ahead of the game and see how he comes out on Friday. Further than that, it's all good."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-doubtful-arsenal-trip-6520000?

WhiteJC

Defender Chase!

Speculation, in the morning tabloid press, infers that Fulham Football Club are in the market for a centre back.

With Brede Hangeland now back to full fitness, it would appear that Rene Meulensteen has decided that the Norwegian needs a new defensive partner with Aaron Hughes not getting any younger and Senderos and Amorebieta failing, in my opinion, to make the grade.

The player reportedly identified by Meulensteen is the Leicester City centre-back Liam Moore.

At twenty years of age Moore has been an integral member of Leicester City`s charge towards promotion and the feedback we`re getting is that if Fulham want to acquire the young defender then they`ll have to increase the reported £2 million they`ve, supposedly offered the Foxes!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345744#ixzz2qajAH8fI

WhiteJC

Ruiz Back in Dutch Football

It`s hardly surprising news considering the amount of speculation that has been flooding the various news vehicles we all have access to, but once piece of transfer news has been confirmed by the club.

It relates to our Costa Rican playmaker, Bryan Ruiz who it has been confirmed has joined the Dutch club PSV Eindhoven.

The 28 year-old, who has struggled at Craven Cottage in recent weeks has returned to Dutch football until the summer, at which point we`d imagine there will be a decision made on his future.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to take this opportunity to wish him all the best.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345745#ixzz2qajL3MZ9

WhiteJC

Morrison Row Rages On

Whilst the storm continues to rage about what Rene Meulensteen might have said with regards to Ravel Morrison wanting to leave West Ham United to come to Fulham, the possible transfer is still providing several column inches.

Although West Ham have threatened to make a possible complaint, to the authorities, about the manner in which Meulensteen has gone about things, the inference is there that the right price could seal a deal for the player to move across London.

It`s being inferred that Fulham have offered £4 million for the player and that West Ham make be willing to do business if that price were to, say, double.

The only problem I can see is whether Fulham would be prepared to pay £8 million for an exciting young talent who is currently not guaranteed a starting place in the side of one of our relegation rivals!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=345746#ixzz2qajVmSoS

WhiteJC

Player Focus: Is Dan Burn Ready For The Premier League?

On January 2nd, Fulham recalled Dan Burn from his loan spell at Birmingham City. 2 days later, the young centre-back made his first-team debut for the Cottagers, impressing in their FA Cup 1-1 draw with Norwich City, before lining up in the heart of the backline alongside Brede Hangeland in the replay on Tuesday night.

The west London outfit comfortably dispatched of their Premier League counterparts in the 3-0 win at Craven Cottage, with Burn impressing as Fulham ensured progression in the competition. Manager René Meulensteen admitted on Wednesday that he would review the future of the centre-back, but spoke highly of the youngster following the victory.

His words come of little shock on the back of a memorable 6 months for Burn. The 21-year-old secured his loan switch to Birmingham back in July and became a first-team regular almost instantly, starting 23 of 25 Championship fixtures prior to his return to Craven Cottage.

During his time at St. Andrew's, Burn turned out a number of performances that defied his years, highlighted in his average WhoScored rating of 7.69 for the campaign. To put that into context, only Yeovil's Shane Duffy has received a higher score (7.75) than the defender in England's second tier this season.

Factoring in that only Sam Vokes and Gary Mackenzie have picked up more WhoScored man of the match awards (both 6) than Burn (5) gives in an insight into just how good a campaign he enjoyed with Birmingham. However, the main question supporters of the west London side will ask is whether the centre-back is ready to make the leap from the Championship to the Premier League.

The gulf in class between the 2 divisions is colossal and grows larger with the increasing financial rewards. While Burn boasts a better WhoScored rating than Fernando Amorebieta (6.84), Philippe Senderos (6.79), Aaron Hughes (6.74) and Hangeland (6.59), the top-flight experience of the current Cottagers contingent stands them in greater stead compared to the youngster.

Nevertheless, Burn is still exhibiting the necessary qualities that many believe would enable him to stake a claim for a regular first-team spot with the Premier League outfit. He is currently averaging the most clearances per game (15.7) in the Championship, while his 257 headed clearances is also more than any other player.

With a WhoScored style of play of his being 'Clears the ball out of defence often', this approach would certainly benefit a Cottagers side that has conceded the most goals in the Premier League (46), 11 more than their nearest challengers in that respect (Stoke, 35). Moreover, when compared to the current centre-back quartet available to Meulensteen, Burn's average number of clearances per game outweighs that of the 4 at Fulham, highlighting his positional astuteness, a crucial attribute for any defender.

When focusing on Fulham's weaknesses, 5 of their 8 centre on the defensive side of their game and that is little shock when taking into account the number of goals they have conceded, and certainly points to an area that requires improvement. With a further weakness of theirs being 'aerial duels', a player of Burn's calibre may go a long way turning these into strengths.

Standing at 6'6", Burn is undoubtedly an imposing player, emphasised in his WhoScored strength of 'aerial duels'. When comparing the 5 centre-backs, it's the youngster who boasts the best aerial success this season having won 69.5% of his headed battles in the Championship. Comparatively, Hughes (62.1%) is Fulham's best performer in this particular area, closely followed by Amorebieta (61.8%). Factor in 'defending set pieces' as another of Fulham's weaknesses, and a defender with the physical attributes of Burn would significantly improve this area.

Yet, a pass accuracy of only 65.6%, a far cry from Amorebieta (78.9%) who has the worst success of every Fulham centre-back, indicates a lack of compusure when in possession. His youthfulness undoubtedly plays a part in this WhoScored weakness of his, with the average age of the Cottagers' current centre-backs being 30.5 years, indicating that calmness on the ball improves with maturity.

This inexperience would surely weigh against him being instantaneously thrown into regular first-team contention. The Cottagers defence may be the leakiest in England's top tier, but tossing the 21-year-old into the thick of it could have an adverse effect on his development rather than benefit his progression.

While the west London side need to strengthen defensively to avoid dropping into the Championship, for the good of the player, Burn would be better suited returning to Birmingham to continue his evolution as a player. Yet, having a player of his potential to call upon will have Meulensteen understandably thrilled having bore witness to his qualities in England's second tier and now the FA Cup.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/r0Jf7xtst0KAFyDVQjCV-w

WhiteJC

Fulham Told To Pay £8m For West Ham's Ravel Morrison

Englishman only has 18 months left to run on his present deal at Upton Park.

West Ham United have told London rivals Fulham that they will need to double their initial offer of £4m if they still want to be able to sign midfielder Ravel Morrison in the January transfer window, according to reports in the Daily Mirror.

The Hammers are understood to be furious with new Cottagers head coach Rene Meulensteen after the Dutchman claimed earlier in the week that the England Under-21 international wanted to move to Craven Cottage this month.

"We have received a complaint from West Ham regarding certain comments made by a Fulham official and we are currently looking into the matter," said a Premier League statement.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/01/16/fulham-told-to-pay-8m-for-west-hams-ravel-morrison/?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen keeps quiet over Morrison transfer moves

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has refused to comment publicly on the club's efforts to attempt to sign Ravel Morrison.

The Whites were rumoured to be interested in signing the West Ham youngster this transfer window, and it was reported a bid earlier in the week was rejected.

However, while the investigation of the Ravel Morrison saga continues, Meulensteen told FourFourTwo: "Where things stand is that I'm not going to make any comment on (transfer rumours) because I'm going to get into trouble.

"I think it's wise at this moment in time that we don't comment on anything that's happening regarding any transfer news or speculation."

West Ham have made an official complaint to the FA accusing Fulham of 'tapping up' the ex Manchester United ace in a bid to tempt him across London.

Meulensteen added, "Things are in hand with the club, with (CEO) Alistair Mackintosh, and that's where I want to leave it."

The Fulham team will now travel to North London against the league leaders to see if they are able to pick up any points following a humbling defeat at home Sunderland.

The Craven Cottage side have not drawn any of their last ten Premier League games - losing eight and winning just two.

Nonetheless they are outside the relegation places and looking to catch the teams above them sooner rather than later.

http://www.givemesport.com/420416-meulensteen-keeps-quiet-over-morrison-transfer-moves?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Arsenal To Further Undermine Cottagers Foundations?

A post is due, and the match with Fulham is less than two days away. Lets have an early preview so you can all go out and enjoy yourselves on Friday night (what do you mean, you were going to anyway?).

Arsene has kindly revealed the team news today thereby saving us a nervous wait for the Friday press conference. With Thomas Vermaelen out and Nacho Monreal not surprisingly a huge doubt the back five really selects itself. Wojciech Szczesny surely starts behind Bacary Sagna, Per Mertesacker, Laurent Koscielny, and Kieran Gibbs. In other words, our strongest back five.

The midfield options are similarly limited. With Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey ruled out again we can probably expect to see Mathieu Flamini riding shotgun both for and with Jack Wilshere at the base. It would be a surprise to see Tomas Rosicky risked with a double fracture of the nose, even in a mask. He may be on the bench as a last desperate resort. Mesut Ozil should remain the playmaker with Santi Cazorla or Lukas Podolski coming in from the left flank and either Serge Gnabry or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on the opposite side.

No prizes will be awarded for tipping Olivier Giroud to lead the line after his goalscoring return to the team at Villa Park on Monday. Now watch us sign a world-class striker on Friday morning (I jest).

The visitors may arrive in rare good spirits after crushing Norwich 3-0 in the FA Cup in midweek. That was a meeting of two weakened sides and is not indicative of the shape Fulham arrive in if their league form is a guide, and it probably is. Since we won 3-1 on the bank of the Thames on the second Saturday of the season it is fair to say the Cottagers have enjoyed mixed fortunes. On the road they have won at Sunderland (0-1), Crystal Palace (1-4) and Norwich City (1-2). They have lost on their other seven journeys including thumpings at Liverpool (4-0), Everton (4-1), and Hull (6-0).

Last Saturday they shipped four goals to fellow strugglers Sunderland at home which left them perched precariously, just a point clear of the bottom three. They have a new manager, former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen, who briefly worked alongside and then replaced the hapless Martin Jol. He has struggled to restore confidence to an ageing side although it remains to be seen if the FA Cup triumph will give them a lift for Saturday. They have run us close at the Grove on more than one occasion, including a 3-3 draw last season, but this looks a tough ask for them.

I could copy and paste this for most of the previews this season, but the Arsenal midfield is so capable of unpicking the meanest defences right now. If Fulham haven't patched up the holes that have appeared for most of the season then our intricate passing style should open them up on numerous occasions. The score could be anything. I'm aiming the 'holic pound at 4-0 although the best offer I can find tonight, 12/1, looks far too skinny. I will keep my options open until Saturday morning if need be to grab an improvement on that.

To those that are going you know where I will be. To those of you hunting out grainy streams I wish you a great weekend and three more points from the lads. With Manchester City at home to Cardiff we will probably need them to stay top of the pile.

Have a good one, 'holics.

http://goonerholic.com/2014/01/arsenal-to-further-undermine-cottagers-foundations/?

WhiteJC

Have Fulham Breached Premier League Ruling T.8?

West Ham assistant manager Neil McDonald has played down reports that midfielder Ravel Morrison is angling for a move to Fulham

The Hammers reported Fulham to the Premier League on Wednesday after Rene Meulensteen had said Morrison was keen to link up with him at Craven Cottage. Following their 3-0 win over Norwich in the FA Cup, Meulensteen had said:

Yes, we did make a bid. I think he does want to come. He would add pace, power, unpredictability and a real attacking threat. I don't know what the situation is now, because that's left with (club director) Alistair Macintosh."

The quotes angered West Ham, who would have been further irked by reports on Thursday suggesting Morrison was preparing to go on strike to push through a move.

McDonald said that was not the case and that the England Under-21 international, who worked with Meulensteen when the Dutchman was first team coach at Manchester United, is happy at Upton Park as he strives for full fitness following a groin problem.

It is all media reports and whatever has been said... I think the club and the Premier Leagueare dealing with that so I'd prefer not to dwell on that any more.

There seems to be a story about Rav every week. The lad comes in and trains, sometimes he has had a little bit of a groin injury, but we've man-managed that. He trained on Wednesday with a huge, big smile on his face with the rest of the squad so (reports he may go on strike) are news to me.

We look forward to him being in the squad on Saturday, he should be fit, he's been training with the lads and he's brought a lot of joy, especially with winning against Cardiff – he cheered everyone up when he came back as well."

McDonald revealed West Ham want the 20-year-old to stay and challenged Morrison to prove he is worthy of a place in Sam Allardyce's side, but also said a big offer may tempt the club to sell.

When asked if the club wanted to keep the player, McDonald replied:

Well why not? But he needs to get into the team and he needs to be consistent. I imagine every player has a price. He had a great run of three or four games where he was outstanding but he's a young kid and he's still learning the game.

He goes through inconsistency to a certain extent and he's had a little bit of a groin injury as well so that's stop and start."

With Morrison's contract at West Ham still having 18 months remaining, the club's complaint is likely to surround Premier League ruling T.8 – which reads:

A statement made publicly by or on behalf of a club expressing interest in acquiring the registration of a contract player or by a contract player expressing interest in transferring his registration to another club (or club) shall in either case be treated as an indirect approach for the purposes of Rules T.3 and T.6.'

Both rules T.3 and T.6 relate to a club making an approach for a player under contract or the player, or his representative, approaching clubs in the hope of instigating a possible transfer.

Fulham could potentially find themselves in a spot of bother – if of course, the FA decide the matter requires their intervention.

http://threeandin.com/archives/33545?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham's Ravel Morrison remarks 'taken out of context'

Rene Meulensteen believes his comments about Ravel Morrison were taken out of context but the Fulham manager refused to be drawn further on the "tapping up" row with West Ham because it might "get me in trouble".

Meulensteen's decision to keep quiet came hours after Morrison suggested he does not want to leave West Ham. The club have made an official complaint to the Premier League after Meulensteen said the midfielder is keen to join Fulham. They see the remarks as an illegal approach and want action taken.

Fulham have received no formal communication from the Premier League and Meulensteen said: "I am not going to make any comment because it is going to get me into trouble."

Meulensteen, who also revealed that Fulham had received no offers for Dimitar Berbatov, added: "It shows that certain things can come out and be taken out of context and you have to deal with it."

Fulham have had a £4m bid for Morrison rejected and will now decide whether to return with a second offer. Morrison, who has 18 months left on his contract at Upton Park, earlier denied suggestions he threatened to go on strike. He tweeted: "The lies people make up it's unreal".

The 20-year-old insisted he is committed to West Ham, telling the club website: "Although it is frustrating to read some of the reports in the media, I always try to keep my focus on the next game and show people with my performances on the pitch that I want to do well for West Ham."

West Ham's assistant manager Neil McDonald has admitted that "every player has his price" and the manager Sam Allardyce may be willing to sell Morrison to free up some transfer funds.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-fulhams-ravel-morrison-remarks-taken-out-of-context-9065633.html

WhiteJC

Fulham preparing Taylor offer
by DAN on JANUARY 17, 2014

Fulham are considering tabling a £3m offer for Swansea City full-back Neil Taylor, according to the Daily Mail.

Rene Meulensteen is keen to add a left back to his squad by the close of the January transfer window, having been unconvinced by the displays of John Arne Riise and Kieran Richardson since replacing Martin Jol at Craven Cottage. Riise, who had been offered the opportunity to leave Fulham by Jol in the summer, was afforded a second chance by the new manager but Meulensteen appears keen to strengthen his options with Matthew Briggs still struggling to recover from a hernia operation.

Taylor had an outstanding first season in the top flight with Swansea, but the emergence of Ben Davies has limited his first-team opportunities at the Liberty Stadium. The 24 year-old, who has made 87 appearances for the club since signing on a free transfer from Wrexham in June 2010, has won fourteen caps for Wales and represented Great Britain at the London Olympics. Meulensteen has also been linked with loan moves for Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand and Sporting Lisbon's Marcos Rojo.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/01/fulham-preparing-taylor-offer/?

WhiteJC

Morrison and the irony of Fulham's 'misdemeanours'

Following Fulham's comprehensive 3-0 victory against Norwich City in the FA Cup, controversy came in the form of manager Rene Meulensteen and his post-match press conference.

The Dutchman was quizzed on the possibility of the club bringing in West Ham United's Ravel Morrison in the window, and he responded by revealing that a bid had been rejected, and that the player had desires to move to the banks of the Thames.

This led to the Hammers complaining to the Football Association over the Whites reportedly 'tapping up' the player, creating divided opinion.

Desperate

Such a move smacks of desperation in my opinion, particularly with the grounds to complain being nothing short of petty and in hope.

Understandably, Meulensteen should be a bit more cautious about discussing his transfer policies and follow the example of all top managers, but describing the situation is nothing more than being plain honest.

If you look at the meaning of 'tapping up', it will tell you that it involves attempting to persuade a player who is under contract elsewhere to move to your club, without the knowledge of the contracted club.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Fulham have made West Ham aware of their interest via the means of lodging a bid for the player, which was turned down by the East London outfit.

By discussing whether he wants to join the club or not is irrelevant, as that doesn't constitute as tapping up the player in question, merely voicing an opinion.

Irony

If we are going to delve into immoral behaviour, we should cast our minds back to 2007 where the whole Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano saga came to the forefront, which had a direct influence on the Cottagers and other relegation battlers at the time.

The transfer of the players broke Premier League rules which stated, "No club shall enter into a contract which enables any other party to that contract to acquire the ability materially to influence its policies or the performance of its team."

Tevez's contribution to West Ham staying up that season was pivotal, and the old "stones and glass houses" is what comes to mind here.

Lest we forget that they are currently battling with the South West London club for survival in the top flight, and are seemingly hopeful of some sort of points deduction.

Petty

Personally I find the whole situation petty; it seems as if they have relatively short memories at Upton Park, and their efforts to stay up have taken a desperate turn.

Things are still sour from the Tevez saga, along with a previous complaint in 2010 by West Ham, once again against Fulham, for fielding weakened sides in the Premier League.

Instead of fixating upon weak comments, they should begin to devise a plan to help maintain their Premier League survival. I wish them the best, but this latest move has once again strained relations between the two clubs.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/morrison-irony-fulhams-misdemeanours/82574/?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Arsenal v Fulham

Arsenal have not beaten Fulham at The Emirates since 2010 but I just cannot see anything other than a Gunners win on Saturday.

Fulham beat Norwich in their FA Cup replay on Tuesday night but that was against an under-strength Canaries team and does not hide the Cottagers' own issues, particularly at the back.

They have been conceding a lot of goals recently. Brede Hangeland is back in the centre of the Fulham defence after injury and he will undoubtedly make a difference, but I am not sure that will happen straight away, and certainly not on Saturday.

Even teams who are well organised defensively going to The Emirates now might stop Arsenal scoring for a while, but they do not stop them winning.

Lawro's prediction: 3-0
Vic's prediction: 5-5

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25738132

valdeingruo

It wouldnt go well with our conceded, but a 5-5 draw, wouldnt that be something!
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

WhiteJC

Three Key Battles: Arsenal vs Fulham

Arsenal take on Fulham tomorrow at three o'clock in what is a huge match for both sides, but for very different reasons.

A win for the Gunners would see them maintain their place at the top of the Premier League for at least one more gameweek, while a win for Fulham will see them distance themselves further from the relegation zone.

The two teams have had contrasting seasons so far, and their last league games showed just that. The Cottagers fell to a 4-1 defeat at home to Sunderland, while the North Londoners beat Aston Villa 2-1 at Villa Park.

Fulham did have a mid-week confidence booster of knocking Norwich City out of the FA Cup; however history isn't with Rene Meulensteen's team in this fixture.

Fulham have never won an away game at Arsenal, a run stretching back to 1913, and lost the game at Craven Cottage 3-1 earlier this season.

The result from this game will have an impact at both the top and bottom of the Premier League. Because of this, here at Touchline Talk we take a look at the Three Key Battles which should decide this London derby.

Laurent Koscielny vs Darren Bent
Koscielny has been a rock at the back for Arsenal so far this season alongside Per Mertesacker, and he will need to continue this tomorrow. The main reason for this is that Bent has a history of scoring against Arsene Wenger's side.

Bent has seven goals in his last nine games against Arsenal, and scored his side's goal in the game between the two earlier on in the season.

Arsenal will be aware of this, and it will be up to Koscielny to try and keep Bent from posing a threat. Bent will most likely look to run in behind Mertesacker, and Koscielny will have to cover for his defensive partner.

With Arsenal likely to score themselves, Fulham are going to need a goal if they are to take anything from this game. Whether they can or not may come down to the personal battle between Koscielny and Bent.

Whatever happens tomorrow, it will be interesting to keep your eye on the battle between these two.

Mesut Özil vs Scott Parker
With Arsenal likely to dominate possession in this match, it is crucial for Fulham that they keep the German playmaker quiet. This task could well be assigned to Scott Parker, who as an ex-Tottenham Hotspur player will want to put in a good performance.

Özil has been immense for the Gunners since signing from Real Madrid, creating 20.4% of Arsenal's chances in the Premier League so far this season; a higher percentage than any other player in the league.

As this stat shows, Parker will certainly have a tough job on his hands to nullify the 25-year old. And even if he can do it, Arsenal still have other players like Santi Cazorla and Jack Wilshere who can cause Fulham problems.

But if Parker can keep Özil quiet, he will certainly be helping out his team. This battle could decide maybe not the result, but the scoreline.

Olivier Giroud vs Brede Hangeland
Both of these players have recently come back from injury; both playing a part in their sides' last wins.

Giroud scored the Gunners crucial second goal against Villa, and Hangeland led his side to a clean sheet in the FA Cup win over Norwich. The two will come face to face tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see who wins the battle.

Giroud forms a focal point for Arsenal attacks, and is their main outlet to hold the ball up. If Hangeland can get the better of the Frenchman, he will reduce the amount of time the Gunners have on the ball.

Giroud has scored in his last two games for the Gunners, both being winners, and he will want to keep this form up tomorrow. It will be up to Hangeland to do his best to stop him.

While the 27-year old isn't Arsenal's only goal threat, if Hangeland can keep him quiet he will be helping his side get a result at the Emirates.

The winner of this battle will go a long way to deciding the game's result.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/three-key-battles-arsenal-vs-fulham/82587/?