watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scrumpy travels well.

Started by Scrumpy, May 16, 2010, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Well, that was THE highlight of following Fulham for me! Too young for 1975, I was just glad to see the lads at a major final. They all gave 110% and I want them to know that we are very, very proud of them all. Love 'em  :sir_roy: :sir_roy: :sir_roy:.

I was fortunate enough to get 3 days away for this trip. Me, my wife and her Fulham-mad mate rolled up at Premier Inn Folkstone at about 8pm Monday night. No sign of Fulham fans at this stage, but a nice relaxing meal was had with a few sherberts to help get a good nights sleep. After breakfast the following morning, we drove into the Channel Tunnel with scarves out of the windows. Immediately saw two or three other Fulham cars and Mini Buses. So the great migration had begun! I'm guessing that every train under the channel from that time onwards, until maybe midday on Wednesday, had dozens of Fulham cars on it.

We'd made the same way to the semi-final in Hamburg, so were really 'old hats' at this. No queues at Antwerp this time, and just one stop on the way to Hamburg. Despite being subjected to several 'Jackie' CDs on the drive through (and Pink Floyd CDs banned following an unfortunate 'permanent replay' situation at the Semi) we found ourselves cruising into Hamburg at about 5pm on Tuesday. We stuck on the Andy Williams song 'Too good to be true' as we cruised into Hamburg, windows open and confidence high. We checked into our Hotel, which was opposite the main Railway station in Hamburg and then went nextdoor for a quick meal. It really hit me then just how big this game was. Here we were, hundreds of miles from home, and there were a dozen Atletico fans in there and maybe 5 or 6 Fulham shirts on show. Later, we travelled down to the Reeperbahn to meet up with Barney Travers and his crowd from Motspur Park. A great bunch. We drank in a St Pauli pub (very Heavy Metal/Biker style) and I met the guy who was later shown on Channel Five in his inflatable Europa Trophy get-up. Alec, I salute you mate.

Next morning we did the 'tourist' thing and went around the city on a tour bus for 90 minutes. I know it's a bit naff, but it gave us a great overall picture of the town and a birds-eye view of many celebrating fans from both Spain and the UK. The place was filling up fast!!

After lunch we made our way to the Reeperbahn again, and the place was rammed. Met up with some friends who had travelled by coach and we made our way to the 'Fulham Square' What a sight! There must have been 2 or 3 thousand fans crammed in there, singing away, climbing statues, drinking, chanting, dancing, cheering. The feeling of togetherness will never leave me. Anyone with a Fulham top on was a friend to hug, take photos with, jump up and down with. There were faces there who have been to the likes of Rochdale, Luton, Torquay, Mansfield etc and we just knowingly nodded at each other. They deserved this moment, and they knew that I deserved it too, Nuff said! Saw Barney again, as well as American Mike (trying to be a fan for once, rather than an employee). Special mention to the various lads and lasses that climbed the statue to lead the singing!! :beer:

We left the Square at 6.30 to make sure that we got to the Stadium in time. As it happened, we seemed to be one of the first lot to leave and the tube platform was absolutely packed. We were singing Atletico songs and they were singing our songs. My feet barely touched the ground as we surged onto the train. The volume was unbelievable! They were really friendly and so were we. But jeez, it was mad. So loud and passionate! We were bussed to the ground from the station, with each set of fans taking it in turns to knick the driver's tannoy and lead the singing. Brilliant!

After a quick slash in the woods, (me, not the girls) we made it into the stadium for this Club's biggest game in it's history. I hung up the flag, sang a bit and just watched in wonderment as the opening ceremony unfurled. It was great to see 60-odd flags at the start, and then just 2 flags remaining at the end. Really put it into perspective.  What an achievement.

You've all seen the match. We gave everything in my view, but it was not to be. It was an amazing night though, when maybe the rest of Europe got a glimpse of just what makes this Club so special. Great singing, great sportsmanship, we applauded our gallant losers and applauded the winners too.

Back to bus, back to tube, back to main station, back to hotel. A quiet night-cap in my hotel room just to take it all in. Truly an historic night. And we were there!!

The drive back the following day was a little subdued, but we left Hamburg with the same song from Andy Williams that announced our arrival 2 days earlier. It seemed that the A1 (Germany) was a constant stream of English number plates and Fulham flags, scarves and stickers. The train back to blighty on Thursday afternoon must have been 50 percent Fulham fans. All disappointed, but all mighty proud too. Europe has seen us now. Before long, they will all want a bit of this great Club of ours. Just you wait and see.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

finnster01

Nice write up Mr Scrumpy. At least you had time to do something other than the game...I wasn't that lucky.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BarneyTravers

Terrific stuff Scrumpy as always.