watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"Fulham have quality to survive without new transfers" says Mulunsteen

Started by howitis, January 17, 2014, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

oh dear - we really are worse off then I thought. At least the clubs around us admit they need reinforcements to survive. Can the manager really believe this or is he being told to say this by the people holding the purse strings.

What amazes me about our club is that we go seasons without the right personnel in certain positions. How we don't have a left back is completely beyond me.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_have_quality_to_survive_without_new_transfers_says_meulensteen_1_3214193

Ordar

If we dont address the weaknesses in our team during this window, I think we'll go down

TonyGilroy

The opposite to that is to say that we're desperate to sign new players which simply inflates prices and demotivates the existing players.

I wouldn't take anything that's said about transfers seriously.

We don't know who we're after (if anyone) or what money is available. Each of us can choose our own levels of optimism or pessimism on that. Time will tell.

Andy S

Ordar, That may be the case but panic buying or being held to ransom is not the way to survival as QPR and Portsmouth have shown in the past. So if muelensteen was to say the opposite who is it helping?

JBH

It doesn't matter what he says it's about what the club actually do, the worst thing is to appear desperate during the Jan window.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Rene also says "I am not going to make any comments (on transfers) because it will get me in trouble"

Seems he may have been told to be more cautious in what he says about any new targets - rather than us not looking to sign any?

He offers encouragement to our younger players, good news & something we have been wanting to happen

Ruiz has gone, giving scope for paying for a replacement - or two or three?

Rene won't want to let the current players to lose focus just ahead of the Arsenal game, especially if one or two will be replace before the end of January

All part of the master plan & end game?

I b####y well hope so!

nose

i agree we are strong enough as we are BUT new players will help.
unlike many other our problem wasn't lack of investment, it was maintainng jol for far too long!
i am sure if the right players come along rene will try and get them.

RaySmith

The club have had offers for  three players turned down  so far - these are the ones reported.

So they are trying to buy players.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: RaySmith on January 17, 2014, 10:49:28 AM
The club have had offers for  three players turned down  so far - these are the ones reported.

So they are trying to buy players.

Not if the offers are too low to stand a chance of being successful. That's wasting everyone's time.

I prefer to assume that anything we're told about possible signings is literally nonsense.

Ordar

While I agree throwing money at the problem like QPR did isnt the way forward, but this squad is in desperate need of investment, and has been for multiple seasons.

If nothing else a creative central midfielder and a left back is an absolute must. If we cant get Berbatov and Bent, two proven premiership goalscorers to score goals then we'll be in trouble regardless.

For me our best 11 is

-----------Stekelenberg--------
Reither--Hangeland---Burn----???
--------Sidwell------Parker------
Dejagah--------???---------Kacaniklic
-------------Berbatov------------

The two question mark areas need to be added. Otherwise Taarabt and Riise is the best we have at the moment. Personally I'd give up on Kaca and sort the left side out aswell, but thats just me.

The offers we put in for Moore and Morrison were never going to be accepted. Putting the derisory offers in only altered other clubs that we were after those players making it unlikely for us to get them

God The Mechanic

It'd be a real morale booster if he had come out and said "we're screwed unless we spend big" wouldn't it?

epsomraver

Quote from: howitis on January 17, 2014, 10:10:29 AM
oh dear - we really are worse off then I thought. At least the clubs around us admit they need reinforcements to survive. Can the manager really believe this or is he being told to say this by the people holding the purse strings.

What amazes me about our club is that we go seasons without the right personnel in certain positions. How we don't have a left back is completely beyond me.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_have_quality_to_survive_without_new_transfers_says_meulensteen_1_3214193

Perhaps you should read it properly and not do a press grab a piece out of context?

Manager Rene Meulensteen maintains Fulham already have enough quality in their squad to secure Premier League survival, even if they are not able to bring in any of their transfer targets - but will not be making any more comments over potential new recruits like he did with West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison.

epsomraver

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 17, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
It'd be a real morale booster if he had come out and said "we're screwed unless we spend big" wouldn't it?
:plus one:

Beat me to it, just what i was going to say

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 17, 2014, 10:17:46 AM

The opposite to that is to say that we're desperate to sign new players which simply inflates prices and demotivates the existing players.

I wouldn't take anything that's said about transfers seriously.

We don't know who we're after (if anyone) or what money is available. Each of us can choose our own levels of optimism or pessimism on that. Time will tell.
Spot on.

Burt

Every transfer window is the same... Hype, gossip, being linked with everyone under the sun (or rain, in our case), raised (then dashed) expectations, etc.

I keep promising myself not to get so sucked in by a system that is not fit for purpose... But I always end up getting sucked in  :dft011:

St Eve

Quote from: Ordar on January 17, 2014, 11:05:35 AM
While I agree throwing money at the problem like QPR did isnt the way forward, but this squad is in desperate need of investment, and has been for multiple seasons.

If nothing else a creative central midfielder and a left back is an absolute must. If we cant get Berbatov and Bent, two proven premiership goalscorers to score goals then we'll be in trouble regardless.

For me our best 11 is

-----------Stekelenberg--------
Reither--Hangeland---Burn----???
--------Sidwell------Parker------
Dejagah--------???---------Kacaniklic
-------------Berbatov------------

The two question mark areas need to be added. Otherwise Taarabt and Riise is the best we have at the moment. Personally I'd give up on Kaca and sort the left side out aswell, but thats just me.

The offers we put in for Moore and Morrison were never going to be accepted. Putting the derisory offers in only altered other clubs that we were after those players making it unlikely for us to get them
Kasami has to be in that team

Holders

Quote from: epsomraver on January 17, 2014, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 17, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
:plus one:

Beat me to it, just what i was going to say

Precisely, hardly the way to motivate players. Time will tell and I expect to see some new faces.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Admin

RM is talking out of his big Dutch back end. If we do not add to that squad, in a positive way, and improve certain 'car crash' area's, we will go down. 

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Admin on January 17, 2014, 01:11:21 PM
RM is talking out of his big Dutch back end. If we do not add to that squad, in a positive way, and improve certain 'car crash' area's, we will go down. 

Would you rather he have said otherwise though?  "We're screwed, we need a left back a centre back and a striker, else we're doomed.".  Prices would rise instantly, and an already fragile squad would be crushed.

Unless you mean "we know you're lying, but as long as you have plans in place then we're cool".  Then I agree :P

Admin

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 17, 2014, 01:16:52 PM
Quote from: Admin on January 17, 2014, 01:11:21 PM

Would you rather he have said otherwise though?  "We're screwed, we need a left back a centre back and a striker, else we're doomed.".  Prices would rise instantly, and an already fragile squad would be crushed.

Unless you mean "we know you're lying, but as long as you have plans in place then we're cool".  Then I agree :P

Sorry, I meant to say I know he's telling fibs, otherwise, we really are screwed. We won't limp over the finish line with that current squad.