watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Next Two Matches

Started by filham, January 19, 2014, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

We are travelling up to Sheffield for the cup match on Sunday then to Swansea for a premiership match on Tuesday, have I got this right?

To stand a chance of getting anything from the Swansea game we must field a complete reserve side in the cup.

K33NY

Same lineup as against arsenal, play offensive, and not going deep, we can get 3 points, I would have this as cup line up:

-------------Stockdale------------
Zverotic-Senderos-Amorebieta-Riise
------------Kara-Christensen-----
Plumain-------Dempsey--------Duff
--------------Dembele-------------

bmasar

Quote from: K33NY on January 19, 2014, 04:55:54 PM
Same lineup as against arsenal, play offensive, and not going deep, we can get 3 points, I would have this as cup line up:

-------------Stockdale------------
Zverotic-Senderos-Amorebieta-Riise
------------Kara-Christensen-----
Plumain-------Dempsey--------Duff
--------------Dembele-------------

I'd like to see this. And Kasami for Dempsey in Swansea I'm guessing?

alfie

Quote from: filham on January 19, 2014, 04:39:52 PM
We are travelling up to Sheffield for the cup match on Sunday then to Swansea for a premiership match on Tuesday, have I got this right?

To stand a chance of getting anything from the Swansea game we must field a complete reserve side in the cup.

disagree, we need the team to gel, that won't happen if keeps getting changed, play the same team as the last 2 games, 1 win and 1 reasonable display away at the top of the league.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

hovewhite

k33 id be happy with that side.

Arthur

Quote from: alfie on January 19, 2014, 06:00:01 PM
disagree, we need the team to gel, that won't happen if keeps getting changed, play the same team as the last 2 games, 1 win and 1 reasonable display away at the top of the league.

If the Swansea game were the following weekend, this might have my backing, but not when we play them a little over 48 hours later.

Changing the personnel for next Sunday won't affect the players; after all, had we been knocked out, we wouldn't have had a game at all. In those circumstances, would you be happy for the starting XI play a needless friendly match on Sunday - just so they can try to 'gel'? I wouldn't be.

copthornemike

We really could do with developing of developing a 'winning habit' and constant chopping and changing of the starting 11 surely does not help.

Personally I think that we should start with our strongest possible team for the Cup - leaving out anyone who is not 100% fit - and aim to finish off the match as soon as possible - and introducing 3 subs as soon as posible to reduce the playing time for 3 of the regulars (probably Parker, Reither and Sidwell).

My biggest concern would be injuries.   

Max Headroom

Quote from: copthornemike on January 19, 2014, 10:22:11 PM
We really could do with developing of developing a 'winning habit' and constant chopping and changing of the starting 11 surely does not help.

Personally I think that we should start with our strongest possible team for the Cup - leaving out anyone who is not 100% fit - and aim to finish off the match as soon as possible - and introducing 3 subs as soon as posible to reduce the playing time for 3 of the regulars (probably Parker, Reither and Sidwell).

My biggest concern would be injuries.   

I disagree. There are a few players who need to be protected. Parker, Riether, Hangeland for example. We can't afford for these players to get injured, and two games in 3 days for the over 30s is too much.

Sheff Utd are low down in league 1, so our reserves should be enough. Look who didn't play on Saturday.... Karagounis, Duff, Taraabt, Senderos, Amorebietta, Riise, Stockdale, and Kasami and Bent got a few minutes only

beijing ben

We must go with a reserve side for the game with Sheffield United. It really doesn't matter. For me, if we want to beat Swansea, and we don't sign anyone before the game, Karagounis is essential..

Stockdale
Zverotic  Hughes  Amorebieta  Riise
             David  Boateng
      Duff  Taraabt  Kacaniklic
                Rodellega

Subs: Joronen, Sidwell, Senderos, Christensen, Plumain, Dembele, Tankovic

Id have Sidwell on the bench because id want to start Karagounis against Swansea and if we were struggling against Sheffield United he could come on. Not sure what is going on with Boateng but if he is available i think he would suit a game like that. Also, not sure what is going on with Taraabt but i wouldnt start him against Swansea anyway so if he is available he should play. Kacaniklic is a squad player at best. This would be a chance for him to prove that he does have something to offer.

Team for Swansea:

Stekelenberg
Reither  Burn  Hangeland  Richardson
          Parker  Karagounis
    Dejagah  Kasami  Dempsey
              Berbatov

Subs: Stockdale, Bent, Sidwell, Hughes, Amorebieta, Taraabt, Christensen

The team against Sheffield United should be good enough. It gives those players a chance to prove that they can contribute something before the window closes... The priority must be the Swansea game...

Walsh

Quote from: beijing ben on January 20, 2014, 04:03:15 AM
We must go with a reserve side for the game with Sheffield United. It really doesn't matter. For me, if we want to beat Swansea, and we don't sign anyone before the game, Karagounis is essential..

Stockdale
             David  Boateng
                Rodellega

Id have Sidwell on the bench because id want to start Karagounis against Swansea and if we were struggling against Sheffield United he could come on. Not sure what is going on with Boateng but if he is available i think he would suit a game like that. Also, not sure what is going on with Taraabt but i wouldnt start him against Swansea anyway so if he is available he should play. Kacaniklic is a squad player at best. This would be a chance for him to prove that he does have something to offer.

Team for Swansea:

Stekelenberg
          Parker  Karagounis
    Dejagah  Kasami  Dempsey
              Berbatov

The team against Sheffield United should be good enough. It gives those players a chance to prove that they can contribute something before the window closes... The priority must be the Swansea game...

Spot on apart from Berbatov starting against Swansea, I am done with him. He did 1 good pass against Arsenal, other than that he was no existent, if we want to stay up he has to go.

alfie

I bow down to your opinions, and if we should get knocked out by fielding a weaker reserve team i don't expect to see too many complaints.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Deanothefulhamfan

I am in the reserve team camp.... our first team should rest, and enjoy the day off.... our squad players should be more than capable of beating a lowly league one side. Even with the magic of he cup and us being away.

I would play players, like Bent , Taarabt, Dempsey and Kaca..... all to try and gain some confidence.

i do understand the views of us keeping the same team, so we can gel etc but it is asking too much of the players to play twice in 48 hours away from home.... it is not only the 180 minutes they will have to play it is all the travelling that comes with it.

Danitar

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on January 20, 2014, 08:47:58 AM
I am in the reserve team camp.... our first team should rest, and enjoy the day off.... our squad players should be more than capable of beating a lowly league one side. Even with the magic of he cup and us being away.

I would play players, like Bent , Taarabt, Dempsey and Kaca..... all to try and gain some confidence.

i do understand the views of us keeping the same team, so we can gel etc but it is asking too much of the players to play twice in 48 hours away from home.... it is not only the 180 minutes they will have to play it is all the travelling that comes with it.

Last time we rested the first team we had Sunderland at the weekend and look how that turned out.

Deanothefulhamfan

That's a good point Danitar, but did we not beat west ham after resting players in the away cup game at Norwich?

Danitar

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on January 20, 2014, 10:16:41 AM
That's a good point Danitar, but did we not beat west ham after resting players in the away cup game at Norwich?

True but this was a west ham that had a man sent off, no proper central defenders and like every west ham supporter mentions no Andy Carroll to save the day. I know we're poor but not that poor to beat a 10 man west ham

beijing ben

Quote from: Danitar on January 20, 2014, 10:20:49 AM
Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on January 20, 2014, 10:16:41 AM

True but this was a west ham that had a man sent off, no proper central defenders and like every west ham supporter mentions no Andy Carroll to save the day. I know we're poor but not that poor to beat a 10 man west ham

I think we are that poor. We are the worst team in the premiership (not by points but in reality) despite improving over the last few weeks. We were lucky to beat 10 man West Ham who are arguably the second worst team. I honestly think the only way we can get a result at Swansea is by concentrating on that game, make sure we don't go into it with injuries to important players or with the players suffering from tiredness. As you have pointed out, we have been rubbish despite resting players but thats because we are rubbish not because we have rested players. If we try and play the same team for both games we will get hammered by possession loving Swansea...

beijing ben

Quote from: Walsh on January 20, 2014, 04:58:06 AM
Quote from: beijing ben on January 20, 2014, 04:03:15 AM

Stockdale
             David  Boateng
                Rodellega

Team for Swansea:

Stekelenberg
          Parker  Karagounis
    Dejagah  Kasami  Dempsey
              Berbatov

Spot on apart from Berbatov starting against Swansea, I am done with him. He did 1 good pass against Arsenal, other than that he was no existent, if we want to stay up he has to go.

I agree in general about Berbatov but have to say i thought he was excellent against Arsenal. I know the general consensus was that we did well against Arsenal but i found it extremely frustrating and we had lots of opportunities to create a goal but none of the fault lies with Berbatov. That pass you are talking about, and the control that preceded it, was outstanding. He also played his part in a number of good moves that we had. If the ball did find its way to him, he did something good with it. If we could get a decent creative midfielder that could link up with Berbatov i think we will see more consistency in his play but i do understand your overrall frustration. As it stands though, he definitely has to start against Swansea for me..

Robbie

I have changed my mind on this ... we should go for a morale boosting win for our MAIN team - get them to gel, get Berba playing some football. Forget Dempsey!

David Allen Crankshaw

I think we had nine changes for the Norwich replay and still managed to field a fairly strong team. We shouldn't underestimate Sheffield United remembering that they did beat Aston Villa away in the previous round. I'll be going to the game expecting us to play a team strong enough to win without the need for a replay. However I would be delighted if Berbatov isn't in the squad and I wouldn't expect him to be involved.

Barrie

I couldn't care less if we played the full under 21 team in the cup.  The Swansea game is massive and neither our preparations, focus or playing squad should be compromised by Sunday's game.