watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Bert Williams

Started by Peabody, January 19, 2014, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

He was the best English keeper in the fifties, played for Wolves but in those days, it did not matter who he played for, he was the England Goalkeeper. His nearest rival was the Birmingham keeper Gil Merrick but to me, Bert was the number 1

Rip Bert and just heard, Chris Chataway, one of our better athletes.

win-dup

Yes a wonderful player. Saw him playing for Wolves at Stamford Bridge on a hot Easter Saturday in 1955 when Chelsea beat Wolves 1-0 to more or less clinch the old first division championship. He was beaten only by a penalty that day in front of around 69000 people - mostly standing!

Chris Chataway gave us a memorable evening around the same time at the White City in a televised race when he beat Emile Zatopek in the 5000(?) metres by a whisker.

That's it, I'm overcome with nostalgia now and shall dream in black and white (of course) tonight of Robson Jezzard and Haynes.

CorkedHat

I remember that match very well win-dup. As I recall it Billy Wright punched a goal bound shot in the goal mouth. Because both he and Bert Williams were fair haired, the ref thought that it was Bert who had punched the ball, and ordered play on. For some obscure reason he did not notice the linesman with his flag raised to indicate the handball, so he was manhandled by the Chelsea players who more or less dragged him to consult the linesman. Today his red card would be waving about like a one armed juggler, but Chelsea's persistence paid off that day – and you are right. Mr P – in his day Bert Williams was supreme. May he Rest in Peace 092.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us