watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is harder to find? Striker or central midfielder

Started by aFFCn_Fan, January 22, 2014, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aFFCn_Fan

With today's 'rumour' http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/01/21/tottenham-ponder-fulham-player-swap-offer/ that we'd be looking to swap Berba for Gylffi Sigurdsson, is it harder to find a good midfielder than a striker? Long was Jol moaning the lack of replacements for D&D, but arguably the player we've missed most is Murphy, with Dembele doing a good (albeit fleeting) job of replacing him. For two seasons then we've been crying out for a good creative player in the middle of the park, and so far come up with Scotty P. I'm going to make the brave statement that Parker and Sidwell are Fulham's version of the Gerrard/Fat Frank condundrum and something needs to change there if we want to avoid relegation.

Then there's Dimi, his attitude ranges from enthused team player congratulating goalscorers to cancerous whinger huffing his arms in the air. His brilliance of touch amazes people (well certainly me). And he's a proven goal scorer. But he's obviously disheartened by the level of player around him...despite getting first team action all the time.

If Berbs left we would have Darren Bent (massively underwhelming), Rodders (not PL standard) and the young Mousa as striking options.

Assuming we swap Berbs for Sigurdsson, we would then need to find a good, proven striker. So, I ask, is it easier to find a striker than a midfielder, bearing in mind our budget and current league position?
@hincharoo

JBH

I think it depends how good they are at playing Hide & Seek  :Get Coat gif:

RaySmith

Well both positions are very important, and both hard to fill with quality.

Much criticism in the media and from Fulham fans of Berba, the latest being from ex- Gooner Perry Groves on Talksport about his attitude to team mates, but I think he has been good since Rene took over, and he still seems someone who can score crucial goals.

According to Groves Berba's attitude must lead to poor morale amongst the rest of the team, but they keep coming out and saying on the Fulham website how important a player he is to us. OK, so the club makes these interviews up, but presumably the player has to say it's all right to put his name  to a piece. I think the players put up with Berba because they know he can help the team.

So I hope we keep Berba and get a creative midfielder in, though I disagree with you about Sidwell and Parker.

Danitar

Midfielder is harder as now a days you play with more midfielders so teams are overloading on them, where as most teams play with just one striker so it's easier to pick up

filham

They are both hard to find especially when you are close to the relegation zone and have a limited budget.
It is essential not to lose what you already have before you are sure a better option can be obtained.

JackyFulham90

Both, January is a very tough market, very hard to truly strengthen your squad as noone wants to lose there best players mid season

valdeingruo

I would agree with Grandad and say it is very circumstantial in this January market. Regarding this particular story, I would be happy for a Siggurdson-Berbatov swap, as Siggurdson is a player I have rated for awhile.

We have Bent, who given more match time should theoritcally should put his chances away, along with Rodellega and Dembele we should be covered as our midfield seems to be scoring more anyways.

However is this a risk we should be taking so close to the drop? This is really where we find the value of Berbatov, is it worth letting him go. Does his attitude aversely affect the way we play, particularly when he has an attitude.

Now if Defour were to happen I would be less likely to be happy to allow this swap.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

epsomraver

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on January 22, 2014, 10:43:57 AM
Both, January is a very tough market, very hard to truly strengthen your squad as noone wants to lose there best players mid season

This is a good time to get in players! with world cup year so many players are wanting to get first team football so they can enhance their chances of a national call up, There are at the big clubs numerous players who cannot get first team football that would really help us, Lescott for example

jarv

They are easy to find, just too bloody expensive.  Chelsea have Mata sitting. Anyone got 40 mill to buy him???

FFC1987

Oh wow. I'd snap there hands off with that swap deal. I very much doubt this is the case but good age, versatile, can score goals and is 24 (according to wiki) so maybe wrong. Absolute no brainer.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on January 22, 2014, 12:59:13 PM

This is a good time to get in players! with world cup year so many players are wanting to get first team football so they can enhance their chances of a national call up, There are at the big clubs numerous players who cannot get first team football that would really help us, Lescott for example

This is true, go after players that are in world cup thoughts.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

KP_FFC

id say swap with dembele or leave it

and it's harder to find a striker that will make an immediate impact

BarryP

The general rule of thumb seems to be the position that is most difficult to fill is the position you need to fill the most.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

mccscratch

Quote from: epsomraver on January 22, 2014, 12:59:13 PM

Spot on Epsomraver
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

hovewhite

Keep berba,up until rene taking over I would have said get rid,but since rene has come in he's looking better than last season also he would be on the bench most weeks.
Also we have more chance staying up with berba.
So awnser to thread .Striker

epsomraver

Quote from: hovewhite on January 22, 2014, 07:45:31 PM
Keep berba,up until rene taking over I would have said get rid,but since rene has come in he's looking better than last season also he would be on the bench most weeks.
Also we have more chance staying up with berba.
So awnser to thread .Striker

looking better? he scored 15 last season and has scored 4 this, how is that an improvement?