watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Dennis Turner

Started by Peabody, January 24, 2014, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

They are saying on TFI that Dennis Turner has passed away. If true, RIP Dennis, so many Fulham books are a good legacy.

TonyGilroy

RIP indeed.

Someone for whom a minute's silence or applause at the next home match really would be appropriate.

grandad

Very sad. I always have his books close to hand. RIP Dennis.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Burt

Oh my... Sad news indeed. His books are amongst my most frequently thumbed...

RIP

copthornemike

Am I right in thinking that Mo appointed him as a non-executive director - in which case I think a mention on the club web site and a minutes applause before the next home match starts might be a nice touch.

Scrumpy

I think nearly every Fulham book I have has been co-written by Dennis Turner. Knew his stuff!
RIP
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Andy S

Like everyone else very sad news. Rest in peace Dennis Turner

copthornemike

Nice tribute has just been placed on the club website.

RIP

ealex40

What sad news and so young.

I corresponded with Dennis back in the mid-eighties and met him on one of my trips back to the UK in 1984. We were able to exchange information about the club as I'd also done a lot of research in the 1960's. My wife is forever reminding me of how I dragged her, whilst on honeymoon in London in 1969, to the Fulham Chronicle to go through their archives, searching for articles about our results during the war.

One of the dedicated good guys will be missed.

win-dup

Met Dennis at an awards ceremony at Motspur Park  couple of years ago and he was thoroughly charming and made time to talk to everyone there. He played a major part in our survival during the dark Clay/Bulstrode years producing books which kept our name alive and gave hope to the few supporters we had then that someone cared. A sad loss for us.

Jamie88

RIP Dennis. Read pretty much most of his material that he wrote about the club :(

Burt

Fulham Football Club is deeply saddened to hear of the death of former Director and Club Historian Dennis Turner at the age of 67.

Born in May 1946, Dennis' love affair with Fulham began at the age of six when he attended his first game in October 1952. His support for the Club remained unflinching for six decades.

After graduating from St Mary's University College in Twickenham, he first became involved with the Whites in the late 1970s when he helped produce a history of the Club. Within a few years he became programme editor on a voluntary basis and then performed in various roles in his spare time, becoming a very recognisable face at Craven Cottage.

In his professional life he had previously been Chief Economist for HSBC and in May 2009, he was named non-Executive Director of Fulham, a position he filled until last summer.

Regarded as the definitive authority on the history of Fulham, he has written numerous books on the Club. He continued to contribute to the official matchday programme and Fultime magazine until his death.

The thoughts of everyone at Fulham Football Club are with Dennis' family.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/january/24/dennis-turner

bog

Really sorry to hear this. If you ever need to know any facts on the club that we love any publication that Dennis brought to print would inform you. I never met Dennis but he was in the inner sanctum of lovers of Fulham.

RIP   

Fernhurst

What a magnificent Fan Fulham FC has lost.
His volume of work will remain as a wonderful reference for all future Fulham supporters. 

Deepest condolences to his family.

Maestro look after him.

RIP Dennis
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

LBNo11

...n Memory of Dennis Turner, who was the author and co-author of many Fulham books, and wrote with the greats Alex White and Ken Coton. His contributions will be treasured and his talents missed. Thank you for many hours of pleasure and shared knowledge. No doubt he will share a few anecdotes with Peter Thomson and Alex "The Traveller" Ferguson...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Fulham Tup North

Very sad news.  RIP Dennis.
Thoughts are with his family and many friends.  :(
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Pluto

This is really sad news. A true Fulham man through and through.

RIP and my sincere condolences to his family & all who knew him.

MOR :

Only just found out about the passing away of Denis...very sad news...Top Fulham Supporter and Fulham historian...

Rest in peace Denis...

Burt

Alex White posted this on the FOF facebook page:

I have been friends with Dennis since the late 1970s. We have written many books together on Fulham FC. It is a great shock to hear about his death. I was only speaking to him on the phone about 3 weeks ago. He had a deep love for Fulham FC and played a very significant role in keeping the club alive during the dark days of 1987 when the club nearly folded. He helped the club out in many ways including offering financial advice from his experience as the head economist at HSBC Bank. He was very proud to be a non executive director of the club and continued to play a significant role at Fulham. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him and especially by myself. RIP Dennis