watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

EIGHT of our academy have made debuts this season

Started by Jamie88, January 26, 2014, 09:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgreenio

Roberts indeed hasn't travelled with England under 17's, wanted for the Youth Cup possibly?

Honestly thought David and Passley were the lesser of those that played yesterday. Passley did ok, but for me he looked a bit nervy and certainly didn't unleash his full range of attacking ability.
touch my camera through the fence

SG

Arthurworrey and Grimmer have apparently slotted in at Tranmere and Port Vale without a problem. Both young lads are getting very good reviews from the home fans and it is great experience for them at their age.

ltd-ffc

exciting times and burn looks a cert for starting berth from now
"Happy that Middlesbrough didn't go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy" Ryan Tunnicliffe June 2015

MasterHaynes

Quote from: grandad on January 27, 2014, 08:55:03 AM
The key is not to just keep them but to keep them as a unit. This is what Barcelona do with their Academy.
Good point, they have a great team ethos and expectation of winning, both U21 and U18 have won games or drawn level in the dying minutes of a game. They all have such self belief and expectation that they will win.

Has anyone picked up on the fixture pile up for the academy teams, U18 played on saturday and a number of them may have to play again tonight for the U21 against Southampton as Tankovic, Plumain, David and Passeley played yesterday and with 4 players out on loan and a few injuries the squad is looking small. Then the U18's have a big cup game on thursday against Spurs and another on saturday.
I hope it doesn't impact either teams chase for their respective championships, winning or getting to the final would really be a feather in their caps and something for them to remember.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: MJG on January 27, 2014, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: MasterHaynes on January 27, 2014, 08:39:18 AM
Quote from: JackyFulham90 on January 26, 2014, 10:11:31 PM
The ones I'm most impressed with are Tankovic & David but Dembele & Passley definitely have bright futures for us
Just wait until you see Richards, Kavanagh from the U21 one(Richards as Kavanagh is injured) of these might get a shot in the replay at left back and from the U18 Donnelly, Roberts, Williams even possibly Sambou who I think we get a shot at first team at some point. There are several others as well, I know I sound like a broken record and statistically it sounds ridiculous but watching these kids I think we have a very good chance of getting 5-6 of these kids into the first team if we can keep hold of them. I can understand why Kit and Hugh Jenkins getting frustrated with Jol for not giving them a chance they know they could do a job.
PS I would like to see Passeley given a shot playing in the centre in the Hughes role, he excelled at this in his last season in the U18 to add pace to be able to cover quick breaks and a someone that can bring the ball out from the centre of defence is something we really need in the future
i agree that we could have a bit of a freak situation where a whole batch make there way through to the team, if we handle them well.
I watch the U21/U18's as well and watching yesterdays game did you notice the movement of the younger lads seemed better than the seniors. It was noticable for me that when Tankovic had the ball that David/Puliman/Passley were all making the moves for the passes and the senior guys were fairly static. I know they play with each other more but I thought it was one of the main things that stood out for me.
I agree , I think that was one of the reasons Plumain came off as the seniors were not picking up his movement off the ball so he was wasted in the 2nd half.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 26, 2014, 11:19:48 PM
Rene deserves credit for this.

And some of the fans need to show some patience with the youngsters. It can take 2 or 3 years for them to make the transition.

Great point.

It's worth remembering this when people give Kaca so much stick.

This is only is 2nd full season with us.. Yes he needs to give more, but it's early days and he already has shown massive strides in his development. He is almost a nailed on fixture in the national side.

Give the boy some encouragement for gods sake.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: SG on January 27, 2014, 11:41:37 AM
Arthurworrey and Grimmer have apparently slotted in at Tranmere and Port Vale without a problem. Both young lads are getting very good reviews from the home fans and it is great experience for them at their age.

I saw Grimmer in a preseason game a while back.
Imo he looked very promising too.

COYW!

049:gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

leonffc

Quote from: MJG on January 27, 2014, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: MasterHaynes on January 27, 2014, 08:39:18 AM
The ones I'm most impressed with are Tankovic & David but Dembele & Passley definitely have bright futures for us
Just wait until you see Richards, Kavanagh from the U21 one(Richards as Kavanagh is injured) of these might get a shot in the replay at left back and from the U18 Donnelly, Roberts, Williams even possibly Sambou who I think we get a shot at first team at some point. There are several others as well, I know I sound like a broken record and statistically it sounds ridiculous but watching these kids I think we have a very good chance of getting 5-6 of these kids into the first team if we can keep hold of them. I can understand why Kit and Hugh Jenkins getting frustrated with Jol for not giving them a chance they know they could do a job.
PS I would like to see Passeley given a shot playing in the centre in the Hughes role, he excelled at this in his last season in the U18 to add pace to be able to cover quick breaks and a someone that can bring the ball out from the centre of defence is something we really need in the future
i agree that we could have a bit of a freak situation where a whole batch make there way through to the team, if we handle them well.
I watch the U21/U18's as well and watching yesterdays game did you notice the movement of the younger lads seemed better than the seniors. It was noticable for me that when Tankovic had the ball that David/Puliman/Passley were all making the moves for the passes and the senior guys were fairly static. I know they play with each other more but I thought it was one of the main things that stood out for me.

Yeah i noticed that. Some of the movement was fantastic. Also, they were trying to knock little balls into feet and 'round the corner' to each other rather than worrying and playing a safe ball square ot backwards

cmg

Quote from: elgreenio on January 27, 2014, 11:41:16 AM
Roberts indeed hasn't travelled with England under 17's, wanted for the Youth Cup possibly?

That's probably it. I'd forgotten about the Youth Cup. It seems to me a bit off to favour a domestic competition over an international, but then I'm old-fashioned.

Despite the first-team promotions and the loans we can still put together pretty good u21 and u18 teams (a bit stretched up front, perhaps). I think it's intended policy to promote certain u18s to the u21s after Christmas (although they may slide back in for the play-offs!).

epsomraver

Quote from: MasterHaynes on January 27, 2014, 12:21:59 PM
The key is not to just keep them but to keep them as a unit. This is what Barcelona do with their Academy.
Good point, they have a great team ethos and expectation of winning, both U21 and U18 have won games or drawn level in the dying minutes of a game. They all have such self belief and expectation that they will win.

Has anyone picked up on the fixture pile up for the academy teams, U18 played on saturday and a number of them may have to play again tonight for the U21 against Southampton as Tankovic, Plumain, David and Passeley played yesterday and with 4 players out on loan and a few injuries the squad is looking small. Then the U18's have a big cup game on thursday against Spurs and another on saturday.
I hope it doesn't impact either teams chase for their respective championships, winning or getting to the final would really be a feather in their caps and something for them to remember.

Southampton game is next Monday 4th Feb away

BishopsParkFantastic

add Grimmer, without a doubt and Burn has already arrived!

alfie

Quote from: andersons11 on January 26, 2014, 11:39:01 PM
Quote from: farfouille on January 26, 2014, 11:31:51 PM
Jol also deserves credit for some of them, like Chris David, Plumain...

For bringing them in yes, but how many did we have before that didnt get a look in?

Surely it is about whether they were good enough and not just because they are young.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MasterHaynes

Quote from: epsomraver on January 27, 2014, 01:58:02 PM
Quote from: MasterHaynes on January 27, 2014, 12:21:59 PM

Southampton game is next Monday 4th Feb away
Thats a relief, put it down to age, lost track of what month it was,

SKSW6

I think this is a positive for if we go down this season as well, as the youth will see that we are prepared to give them a chance, and so will be more inclined to stay.