watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scoring Goals

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, January 28, 2014, 11:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brede Butter Pudding

In my opinion, a massive part of our problem is scoring goals. We just don't get our noses in front enough. Rene has mentioned it a lot, mentioning it again in his post-match interview, that we are always going to struggle when we find ourselves a goal behind and chasing the match. In the last two games, we have had pretty solid first halves, but have capitulated after about 15 minutes of the second half.

We really need to make the most of the chances we create. So far, we are doing completely the opposite. Off the top of my head, last week at Arsenal Kaca had a great chance through on goal in the first half but took a heavy touch and squandered the chance, and at a similar time in the match today Hangeland missed what has to be considered a straightforward header from a freekick. Had we taken those chances, both matches would have been completely different.

With Burn and Brede at the back I feel we have enough to hold onto games if we take the lead. But that's the point, we don't take the lead. Instead, we waste chances, we have largely ineffective strikers who lack pace and penetration, and instead sit back and allow ourselves to be dominated when we really should match our opponents and take the game to them.

I've lacked confidence in our goalscoring abilities for quite a while now - I think Berbatov is a hinderance to the team, Bent isn't fit enough, and Rodellaga simply isn't good enough. Should we sign Mitroglou, which is anything but likely at this stage considering our inability to tie players down, I will have more confidence in our goalscoring abilities, but at the moment it looks bleak.

If we are to stand any hope of staying in this division, which is becoming increasingly unlikely, we really have to start taking our chances and becoming ruthless in front of goal. The quality of this division means that if we don't take our chances, we will be punished. I honestly believe that if we find ourselves a goal or two in front against teams like Swansea, Cardiff, West Ham, Sunderland etc., we have the quality to keep hold of those leads. We have a lot of experience (whatever that counts for) and if we get our noses in front we have enough about us to hold onto wins. But at the moment, we aren't giving ourselves a hope in hell because we aren't taking our chances in front of goal.

Get a striker in pronto, one with a bit of pace and physicality. Drop Berbatov and let's get some fight back into this stagnating squad.

Brede Butter Pudding

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9139092/meulensteen's-missed-opportunity

This says it all... Reporter asks, 'What are you lacking?' and Rene replies, 'Goals, obviously'.

Sort it out - get a real striker in with some pace and urgency.

Humbled

"Goals obviously"

Playing Berbatov and hoping for a penalty will not get you goals.... so why not try something different? and i don't mean playing Bent or Rodders with 10 youth team players!!!

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: Humbled on January 28, 2014, 11:31:32 PM
"Goals obviously"

Playing Berbatov and hoping for a penalty will not get you goals.... so why not try something different? and i don't mean playing Bent or Rodders with 10 youth team players!!!

I agree - if the problem is so 'obvious', and has been for a while, then why not do something different/drastic? Drop Berba? Start Rodders and Bent? Put two natural strikers up top rather than one? We are far too predictable and without taking our (rare) chances we're going to get nothing.

MiltonBurrows

It seems we have sorted out the CB problem with Burn and Hangers. LB is still an issue, and most definately like this thread and Rene have said, strikers is a big problem. The worrying thing is the only real striker we have been linked with in January is Ings, and thats gone quiet, so not sure where Rene is expecting goals to come from if we dont sign anyone. Because its definately not going to come with the strikers we have at the moment...
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

the nutflush

Putting all our eggs in the Berbatov basket has brought us undone.   Its been terrible to watch all season.  We never score first and if you don't score first you open yourself up to bad luck/deflections off the defender etc.  If we go down it wont be due to bad luck that's for sure.  It will be due to the fact that we cant find a decent avenue to goal with a poor midfield and a slow focal point up front...... DISASTER.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on January 28, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
It seems we have sorted out the CB problem with Burn and Hangers. LB is still an issue, and most definately like this thread and Rene have said, strikers is a big problem. The worrying thing is the only real striker we have been linked with in January is Ings, and thats gone quiet, so not sure where Rene is expecting them come from if we dont sign anyone. Because its definately not going to come with the strikers we have at the moment...

Strongly linked with Mitroglou of Olympiacos as of this evening. A class striker in the form of his life who has the pace/strength/finishing to really help us out in the final third. Reports suggest Olympiacos are holding out for £15m which would make him our record signing, but if he could produce the goods to keep us up then the financial cost would certainly be worth it. Apparently nothing is agreed yet but discussions will continue tomorrow. I'm not getting my hopes up though - so many times we've been left disappointed by not wanting to match clubs' fee demands, so time will tell. But if we miss out on Mitroglou I'm not sure how many quality strikers are feasibly out there to bring in this window - if we're stuck with Bent, Berba and Rodellega on Feb 1st I really think we're doomed. They just don't have enough about them to bag us the goals we so desperately need.

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on January 28, 2014, 11:38:37 PM
Quote from: MiltonBurrows on January 28, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
It seems we have sorted out the CB problem with Burn and Hangers. LB is still an issue, and most definately like this thread and Rene have said, strikers is a big problem. The worrying thing is the only real striker we have been linked with in January is Ings, and thats gone quiet, so not sure where Rene is expecting them come from if we dont sign anyone. Because its definately not going to come with the strikers we have at the moment...

Strongly linked with Mitroglou of Olympiacos as of this evening. A class striker in the form of his life who has the pace/strength/finishing to really help us out in the final third. Reports suggest Olympiacos are holding out for £15m which would make him our record signing, but if he could produce the goods to keep us up then the financial cost would certainly be worth it. Apparently nothing is agreed yet but discussions will continue tomorrow. I'm not getting my hopes up though - so many times we've been left disappointed by not wanting to match clubs' fee demands, so time will tell. But if we miss out on Mitroglou I'm not sure how many quality strikers are feasibly out there to bring in this window - if we're stuck with Bent, Berba and Rodellega on Feb 1st I really think we're doomed. They just don't have enough about them to bag us the goals we so desperately need.

Completely agree. The thing is, we are in this mess now, and the only chance to get out of it is taking a gamble and signing some quality IMO. I can understand why the board would be reluctant to spend money, but if we dont and go down, our financial problems will be much worse. Just look at Boltons recent figures..
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"