https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Statsbomb (again) Battle of the Midfields – Barcelona Prime vs. Fulham 2013-14

Started by lamby, January 31, 2014, 11:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamby

Not pretty

Fulham
Okay, now because I wanted to compare extremes to test if total midfield shape overlays would be useful at that level, I have chosen the team who has one of the worst midfields in the Premier League this season.

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/01/battle-of-the-midfields-barcelona-prime-vs-fulham-2013-14/

God The Mechanic

I... don't get the point of it?  Pretty much any other midfield *ever* compared to Barca in their prime is gonna look like an abomination.

lamby

It shows that we get no offensive output from our midfielders. So signing William Kvist, a defensive midfielder is unlikely to have much impact on our team :-(

God The Mechanic

Quote from: lamby on January 31, 2014, 11:39:21 AM
It shows that we get no offensive output from our midfielders. So signing William Kvist, a defensive midfielder is unlikely to have much impact on our team :-(

Hardly need to be compared to Barca to see that out midfield is underperforming :p  signing Kvist will hopefully shore up the defensive side of things, and will (transfers permitting) allow for a shift in shape and/or composition of the midfield.

lamby

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 31, 2014, 11:37:57 AM
I... don't get the point of it?  Pretty much any other midfield *ever* compared to Barca in their prime is gonna look like an abomination.

Yep, ignore the stuff about Barcelona. But from our midfield we get nothing:

• No through balls
  • No key passes
  • (almost) no scoring contribution

God The Mechanic

Tbh, I didn't read any of it after I saw it was comparing us to Barca ;)

cmg

Having studied this carefully I think what is being shown here is that a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta would be better than one comprising Kasami, Parker and Sidwell. Extraordinary. Who'da thunk it?