watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Two top professionals left our club tonight

Started by Pluto, February 01, 2014, 03:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluto

Amongst all the excitement and euphoria of a spectacular deadline day I don't want anyone to forget that two absolutely first class professionals left the club today. Two players who, whilst not being the most talented footballers out there, never once gave anything less than 100% for the club. We might not get the best players at Fulham but by god do we get the triers and Aaron Hughes and Phil Senderos were the epitome of that.

I want everyone to see the below tweet from Senderos after he was sold to Valencia tonight:

That symbolises everything that Fulham FC is about. This guy took so much stick, often from people who didn't even attend games and just saw him on TV, or even worse just listened to Gentleman Jim's pathetically biased commentary; but the whole time he never stopped giving 110% for our club and never uttered so much of a word of discontent or retort. In many ways he is the anti-Berbatov- he may not have the most class in terms of footballing ability, but boy was his attitude class. Played his heart out on the pitch, never moaned, gave it all for the fans and behaved like a true professional.

Aaron Hughes is a legend of the current era. He has been an absolute stalwart for the last seven seasons, featuring in that magical night in Hamburg and in some amazing victories. He trained like a professional, oozed class, always had time for the fans and had a wonderful ability to bring out the best in players around him. He might be showing signs of age recently, but his attitude on the field and off has remained as good as ever.

In Phil and Aaron Hughes, our club has lost two absolute pros in an era when such traits are a rarity. I for one would rather have them at our club then a hundred Berbatovs and I really hope our new players will bring a similar attitude. So give them your best and wish them well at their new clubs. I for one will welcome them back at the cottage any time.

049:gif

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fullofham

I've cursed and laughed at Senderos, but you cannot say he did not care, or that he did not try and put out his best. Classy goodbye.

Count Berbatov

He's a great guy and would probably make a great friend. I wish him all the best in a league where defense is not a priority. He has plenty for them
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Slaphead in Qatar

Nice guy and tried but an absolute car crash of a defender. Glad he is leaving.

Holders

Well said, Pluto.

It was interesting to hear Rene say that work ethic was a selection criterion for the new recruits.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Max Headroom

I'd rather senderos stayed than berbatov. He actually played some really good games for us this season

SG

Well said Pluto, a very fitting tribute. However from a playing point of view, although I see no need for some people to insult him, I am delighted to see Senderos go. I was never comfortable with him at the back even on his better days. It was a shame Aaron had to go but at this level time catches up with players very quickly.

Riverside

Pluto . I agree both gave 100% every time they played .

If everyone gave 100% as they did we would NOT be in the bottom 3 .

They have left because are more more talented alternatives now - I pray these alternatives give the same effort.

I wish both the best .

Snibbo

Berserker

I've always liked Phil and am sad to see him go. He nearly went in the summer so I suppose it was always going to happen sometime
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

Good post Pluto.

Hughes has been a rock for so long now, and whilst Senderos was solid rather than spectacular he gave a toss, his heart was in the right place, and he never deserved the abuse he got in certain quarters.

ScalleysDad

Well said. I suspect there will be some sabotage along the way but it is a shame this thread cannot be packaged and sent to them. Like many players they leave without a round of applause which both deserved.

JBH

Never doubted his efforts and passion for FFC just his actual ability to perform wekk in week out
I wish him an Aaron Hughes all the best at their new clubs 065.gif

mullers

When Senderos came into the side it seemed to take him a few games to get into his stride, then he seemed to grow in confidence and look more solid. In fairness centre back must be a tough position to play if a player's out after a few games, but at best he always seemed to be third choice. Good luck in Spain.

epsomraver

Quote from: mullers on February 01, 2014, 09:59:01 AM
When Senderos came into the side it seemed to take him a few games to get into his stride, then he seemed to grow in confidence and look more solid. In fairness centre back must be a tough position to play if a player's out after a few games, but at best he always seemed to be third choice. Good luck in Spain.

Sorry nice bloke and all that but he never looked confident, never got in his stride never looked remotely solid, Renee has got it right, the fans got it right a long time ago, he is not a Prem quality player, Wenger saw that years ago.

Sgt Fulham

Senderos was not a great defender in my eyes but I will miss his great attitude despite the stick he got. I hope he does well in Spain and hopefully enjoys the sun. Aaron will always be a legend in my eyes for his solid participation in the Europa run which gave us so many precious memories. Good post, I will miss both of them.

the nutflush

Could never cut it and should have been shipped out two seasons ago.  Maybe our goal difference wouldn't be so awful if we had addressed our deficiencies there earlier.  He might be a nice bloke and big hearted trier, I don't know Ive never met him.  But I do know that he's not up to premier league standard.  

Furby

Sad to see Hughes go as he's been such a great servant to this club. One plus side to him leaving though is we haven't got to hear the worst song we sing anymore Aaron Hughes Aaron Hughhhesss.

With Senderos I really do wish him well in Valencia, but I'm very happy he has moved on.

His agent has to be the best in the world. We're the smallest club he's played for since is first club.

Andy S

Good luck Phillipe. You were not the most naturaly gifted but you cared. Enjoy Spain.
Aaron you were brought in by Laurie Sanchez. For a few seasons your pairing with Breda looked to be the best in the league. Unfortunately you are now at the wrong end of your career and we need to replace with younger blood. Good luck at the rangers and we hope to play against you next year