watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Birmingham bid for Konch rejected

Started by NorthernWhite, May 19, 2010, 10:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernWhite

1.5 million, they're having a laugh! If they offer close to 3 million, I've a feeling he may be off as he seeks one last contract and signing on fee.

Birmingham Mail report below:-

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/2010/05/19/birmingham-city-continue-to-make-waves-in-the-transfer-market-97319-26473760/

Birmingham City have fired an opening shot in their battle to sign Fulham's Paul Konchesky.

A bid believed to be around £1.5 million has been rejected for the left-back, who has a year remaining on his Craven Cottage contract.

But Blues could well get their man as sources in London have indicated that Konchesky is unlikely to sign a contract extension.

The 29-year-old has been admired for some time by Alex McLeish and, ironically, was first targeted by his predecessor Steve Bruce in the summer of 2007.

Blues thought they had him in the bag from West Ham United, but Fulham came from nowhere and wrapped up a deal quickly.

Bruce turned to Fulham's Franck Queudrue instead.

Now with Queudrue and Gregory Vignal having both been freed, Blues only have David Murphy as a recognised left-back.

He has recovered from a broken kneecap that kept him out for most of this season and will spend the summer undergoing an intensive fitness regime to ensure he is in tip-top shape when Blues report back.

Huge

who in their right mind would want to trade in the Leafy suburbs of London to go to Birmingham!! sod that
The Dude abides

AlFayedsChequebook

I would prefer he stayed unless we got a ridiculous offer (£5m+) which isn't going to happen. I guess it boils down to how much Konch wants to leave in order to get that one last payday. However, I do doubt that Birmingham would offer much more in the way of wages than Fulham.

finnster01

I think the Brummies are gambling on us picking up Shorey and thinks they can get Konch for a song and a pack of fags
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

KCat

If it is a choice between Permo-Tan and Shorty(!) .................. well there is no choice

The price should be £4m as we need to re-coup the million he cost us against Stoke !!!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

3.5 mil and he's gone,as long as Nick signs I think that will be that
I like Konch,but money talks and we must improve the team when we get the chance :clap_hands:

KCat

Shorey is better than Konch ?????...........................no way !!!
.............. we need better or keep him

Shorey should be sent back ..........

White Noise

Quote from: KCat on May 19, 2010, 11:56:30 AM

KCat in 'I'm a secret Konch fan' shocker! :dft012:

Lighthouse

I have yet to be convinced about Shorey. Yet to prove he is an improvement on Konk. Or have reached the point where we are replacing like for like.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dugliss

Don`t think there`s too much between them, Shorey probably better defender and Konch better going forward. How old is Shorey?

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Dugliss on May 19, 2010, 01:11:38 PM
Don`t think there`s too much between them, Shorey probably better defender and Konch better going forward.
That's how I see it,and called me old fashiond but I like my defenders to defend,the hint is in the name :dft012: :59:

HatterDon

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on May 19, 2010, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: Dugliss on May 19, 2010, 01:11:38 PM
Don`t think there`s too much between them, Shorey probably better defender and Konch better going forward.
That's how I see it,and called me old fashiond but I like my defenders to defend,the hint is in the name :dft012: :59:

and you like your midfielders to, uh, midfield?  :018:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cebu

I don't see either one being better than the other. We need both. We have no other cover for left back, so if we sold Konch and got Shorey, we'd be screwed when he was injured, just as we were screwed when Konch was injured.

If FFC is serious about moving forward as a force in the EPL, we need this kind of competition for places in all the playing positions.

Dugliss

Quote from: cebu on May 19, 2010, 03:59:14 PM
I don't see either one being better than the other. We need both. We have no other cover for left back, so if we sold Konch and got Shorey, we'd be screwed when he was injured, just as we were screwed when Konch was injured.

If FFC is serious about moving forward as a force in the EPL, we need this kind of competition for places in all the playing positions.

You`re right but as both players are good enough to be starters I don`t see how we could keep them both happy especially with Roys way of not changing the team unless forced to. I guess that`s what the manager`s paid for though

cebu

Quote from: Dugliss on May 19, 2010, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: cebu on May 19, 2010, 03:59:14 PM

You`re right but as both players are good enough to be starters I don`t see how we could keep them both happy especially with Roys way of not changing the team unless forced to. I guess that`s what the manager`s paid for though
When Konch came back from injury, Roy made it clear on the Offal that Shorey knew he was coming in behind Konch in the pecking order. But Shorey was clearly up for that challenge. At Villa he'd slipped to 3rd choice and that's why he was keen to move.

RidgeRider

Quote from: KCat on May 19, 2010, 11:56:30 AM

OMG, Kcat is backing the alien. This is a first folks!!!!  :045:

bigalffc

keep konch! shorey is good for cover and competition only
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Burt

Konch would be a loss. Hope he stays put.

ron

At least this thread confirms that Konch has been recognised at last as a valuable asset. The fact is that his overlapping and attacking skills are needed in our style of play.

NorthernWhite

Interesting watching the goals of the season, how many were set up by Konch. I liked Shorey when he came in and we didn't ship many goals in that stretch but since his return from injury, he's been in excellent form. He does have his lapses but unless we were going to spend big money, best to keep him if he's willing to sign a contract extension. If he's not willing to sign a new contract, we need to get the best price and sign up Shorey.