watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It Doesn't Matter That Sidwell Is Top Scorer

Started by jmh, February 01, 2014, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmh

Seems that anytime someone suggests a lineup without Sidwell, someone else responds BUT HE'S OUR TOP SCORER!!!  And that's great and all, and he's done really well in the first half of the season, but does anyone really expect that to continue?  Do you genuinely expect another five league goals out of him?  You can't pick the team based on what players have done in the past (whether it's picking Duff because he was a dynamic attacking winger five years ago or picking Sidwell because he scored a bunch of goals in the earlier part of the season), you have to pick the team based on what you can reasonably expect them to do in the future.  Sidwell is not scoring five more goals, and even if on the odd chance he does, he's also going to give the ball away a lot, run around and get himself out of position, and revert to form and get booked a bunch.  I love the guy and how hard he tries but he's got to go on the bench because we have better players who are more likely to keep us up.

YoungsBitter

Quark, strangeness and charm

Fernhurst

Very difficult for Sid and Parker today. It was easy to see how hard they tried but neither could match how Southampton were performing in midfield and the match up's did not reflect well on them.
Generally fuming inside over our overall 2nd half display but could not help admiring the confident fit and fast Southampton team.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lighthouse

Clearly playing Parker and Sidwell has never been great. But why pick Parker? He makes a good pass? Well Sidwell works harder, has a better engine and pops up and scores goals.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

DUKE

Quote from: jmh on February 01, 2014, 11:14:32 PM
Seems that anytime someone suggests a lineup without Sidwell, someone else responds BUT HE'S OUR TOP SCORER!!!  And that's great and all, and he's done really well in the first half of the season, but does anyone really expect that to continue?  Do you genuinely expect another five league goals out of him?  You can't pick the team based on what players have done in the past (whether it's picking Duff because he was a dynamic attacking winger five years ago or picking Sidwell because he scored a bunch of goals in the earlier part of the season), you have to pick the team based on what you can reasonably expect them to do in the future.  Sidwell is not scoring five more goals, and even if on the odd chance he does, he's also going to give the ball away a lot, run around and get himself out of position, and revert to form and get booked a bunch.  I love the guy and how hard he tries but he's got to go on the bench because we have better players who are more likely to keep us up.

sidwell is not the problem and he puts in a shift most of the times. maybe not today because of the kvist addition and he was playing a bit more forward  also your gif. makes my head hurt.

WayneKerrins

Some knob in the JH a block away from me was digging sidwell out all day. The same tool had nothing to say to Reither who was at fault for 2 and arguably 3 of their goals nor said a word to the non descript Kvits who looks like another in a long line of unremarkable FFC DM. Neither sidwell nor Parker were perfect today but along with Holtby they did the most good on the day.

Fernhurst

UNREMARKABLE ..... Willing to give the lad a chance but that is a good description of his debut.

YoungsBitter

In defense of Kvist I want to point out he has not played a game in 2 months due Budesliga winter break and our fearless leader and his brain trust decided to throw him in rather than Kaca, Dejegah, Kara or Boateng so what do you expect. I actually thot he did what was asked of him well, tackled passed and didnt pick up stupid cards.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Fernhurst

Yes good point,lets see how he settles down.
Holtby was impressive in patches, we all would like to see our new signings make an immediate impact, although Spartacus looked bloody miserable watching the game.
Aghhhh what have I done .....

jmh

But, look, here's the thing, since this seems to have (like practically every message board post ever) gotten off-topic.  If you think Sidwell is a better defensive midfielder than Parker and/or Kvist, because of his work rate or his "winning mentality" (which I think is garbage, but if we were to accept it as a valid thing, what has Sidwell ever won?) or his better ability in the air, or whatever else, that's one thing.  I disagree with it, but I think it's a plausible debate.  Heck, if you really think Sidwell is going to score a lot of goals in the 14 league matches we have left (despite the fact that he doesn't have any kind of goal scoring track record to support this belief), more power to you.  But the fact that he's scored 5 league goals thus far this season, and that this is the team lead because nobody else on the team is scoring that many goals, is a curiosity and not a consequential fact that the team should be selected based on.

aaronmcguigan

The thing is No one is scoring ANY goals! Berba was allowed to leave, bent and kasami will not get as much game time now with the new signings so who will play that can score? Apart from Mitroglou who is unproven..