watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Hately RIP

Started by Fernhurst, February 01, 2014, 11:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Died today, condolences to his friends and family.

Only us old sods will remember him but some will remember his Son Mark playing for Rangers and now his Grandson plays for Motherwell!

Good old fashioned Centre Forward.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

A fantastic header of the ball.
RIP

Andy S

I remember him when he visited the cottage with Liverpool after his record transfer. Seemed like a nice guy had a smile for the crowd who were giving him stick, as usual. Condolences to his family

Lighthouse

I real football dynasty. Despite him playing for (them) I do remember him well. Can't believe he was 72. For some reason brings to mind comics, school and endless days picking teams and naming squads at break.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on February 01, 2014, 11:51:22 PM
A fantastic header of the ball.
RIP

Quite right Capt Mannering.
The story was.... ( an Old Sod will always have a story!!) whilst at Chel@@@ their manager Tommy Docherty found  an old Army rucksack, filled it with bricks and made Hately wear it while standing in a sandpit. Tommy would then make him jump for balls he threw in from the side.
Tony said years later... " when I took to pitch on a Saturday and went for a headed chance... I thought I could fly"

Made a bit a fortune moving from club to club for about a million each time.

Only Me

Think the spelling is wrong. He once scored 4 against us at home i  think we lost 6-1 or 6-2, R I P. great header of the ball remember him well, Thought he played for Villa? am i wrong?

grimmynz

Fernhurst

Hateley started his career with Notts County before moving to Villa Park in 1963, scoring 68 times in 127 league appearances.
After his big-money move to Chelsea, Liverpool paid £96,000 to take him to Anfield and at the time of his retirement in 1974 his combined transfer fees were a record in English football.

Bradstow

Good honest player. Played too well at Chelsea. God bless.
Don't speak wisdom into the ears of fools.

HillingdonFFC

My old man reckons he was the best header of a ball he's ever seen. Remember him telling me years ago how he swears Hateley was about two foot higher than the crossbar at the Hammersmith end as he attacked a cross

Snibbo

I think I saw him make his debut for Che**ki at the Cottage. If not, one of his early games for them.

Yes, one of the best ever headers of the ball. Big, strong, classic centre forward. Oh for someone like him. Closest we've had is probably McBride.

HatterDon

I remember him well. He was brilliant in the air -- not the best I've seen, Wyn Davies was better IMHO -- and put himself about, but was limited on the deck. From all sources, he was a decent man, and I was pleased to see that his son also was an international.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Banstead White

RIP Tony Hateley.
Roysie