News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Big Question, what actually are our tactics!?

Started by samv10, February 02, 2014, 03:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samv10

The last  year or so we don't seem to have had any real tactic going into a match, apart from of course jol's famous, pass it too the glorified corner taker who will then wait for the entire defense to get back into position to try and give them as much chance to stop his 'killer pass'. Under rene there still doesn't seem to be much clue, positioning is woeful generally it's like watching Sunday league sometimes. I don't believe Rene knows much about tactics he seems to be a great coach but on the actual pitch were looking vulnerable to every attack.
fire away haters

bobby01

For the majority of our goals conceded the full backs are AWOL, never more so than yesterday, if we can't cover them when they go forward, then perhaps they should stay put, simples.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Still believe

Lack of decent tactics seems to be crucial to me, for which you can only blame the manager (either not designing decent tactics or an inability to convey them and/or instil player's belief in the tactics).... we have worrying gaps/spaces & our players are never pushing up together as a solid unit, leaving a few stray defenders without any protection & attacks which are easily overcome for any opposition... so I'd not blame the defenders myself...

Baszab

completely lost our shape yesterday - especially after conceding - I would rather bring Karagounis on for the last half hour when Parker and Sidwell tire - can't seem to unite the midfield with the defence - yesterday they were too deep and then as soon as we concede, shape goes again

ross_bamping

Quote from: bobby01 on February 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM
For the majority of our goals conceded the full backs are AWOL, never more so than yesterday, if we can't cover them when they go forward, then perhaps they should stay put, simples.

The reason for that is that we don't have any wingers. Duff, well the less said about him the better, and Holtby we're too central. When we play with actual wingers, the FBs don't need to bomb forward, and they can be there on the counter. Saying that, Riether is so good on the attack, just leave one of Parker or Sidwell covering his position when he is up the field with Dejagah.
Yes, what I say may be seen as 'overdone' or 'harsh', and to be honest I don't care. Please, feel free to argue your case, but remember, I won't back down.

BedsFFC

Our tactics do seem to have changed since Wilkins got involved. We seem to be sitting deeper.

Having lived through the time he was manager, when I was so frustrated. We had the best players in the division but played many games like we wanted a draw. He was sacked just when we made the play offs as his team selection and tactics were so negative.

I'm a coach and get loads of drills through membership things on the net. I've been nicking loads of Rene's stuff for years and its brilliant. On reflection, most of his stuff is in the midfield and the attacking 3rd.
I think, instead of Wilkins, we should have a defensive coach.

I actually think, our only hope is that the new striker changes our dynamics and lifts the whole team. It's asking a lot.

What I would also say is. Pick a bloody team to win games and stick with it. All this chopping and changing gives us no cohesion.

When Wilkins was with us, his first remit would have been...Get us to the Championship. Just hope in May, he doesn't turn round and say...."Bloody told you I could do it".

alfie

I have to say it was what 15 years ago when wilkins was here, this is the same wilkins that was so highly respected by players and team management at Chelsea.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jmh

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 02, 2014, 07:35:12 PM
Our tactics do seem to have changed since Wilkins got involved. We seem to be sitting deeper.
We do?  It seems like most of the time when we concede it's because we get caught with too many players upfield. 

I think the tactics do play a role here.  Yesterday we had 4 central midfielders (counting Holtby, nominally played wide according to the formation shown on the club website but not a wide player), Duff and Bent.  Width came from the full backs.  Two of the goals came with Hangeland defending out wide because he was covering for Riether who'd made an attacking run.  And because there were so many central players, they got in each other's way.  When Roy was in charge, it was all about organization, with every player knowing where he was supposed to be on defense, and I think at the moment we have the opposite.  I think you're right to say that we need to pick a team and stick with it so that players learn their roles.

Julius Geezer

Quote from: Baszab on February 02, 2014, 04:33:15 PM
completely lost our shape yesterday - especially after conceding

Precisely.

We have a habit of missing good chances, falling behind to a sloppy goal, chasing the game and getting thumped.

We need to find a medium, where if we do go behind - we can find a solution without commiting too many bodies forward.

Holders

I think I can summarise our tactics as "work hard to keep a clean sheet for the whole 60 minutes".

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

Three defensive midfielders, players on the wings whose best attribute is as defensive cover and a guy up front who when playing well wants to play on the shoulder of the last defender.

Our tactics were obvious. The only problem being that it conceded the initiative to the away side from the off. It was as though we had set ourselves up to play Man City and not Southampton.

RaySmith

Quote from: bobby01 on February 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM

Yes, but it's because we've gone down, and have to chase the game, and this always leaves us exposed at the back.

Our full backs are also  meant to act as wingers, giving us width in attack, but  we obviously should have players taking their place in defence when they go forward. But we are an anxious side, who falls apart when we go down, and everyone  surges forward desperate for a goal.

I think one thing Rene has done to combat this is bringing in younger, harder working players, who will be willing and able do a shift defensively.

BedsFFC

Quote from: jmh on February 02, 2014, 09:15:12 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on February 02, 2014, 07:35:12 PM
We do?  It seems like most of the time when we concede it's because we get caught with too many players upfield. 

I think the tactics do play a role here.  Yesterday we had 4 central midfielders (counting Holtby, nominally played wide according to the formation shown on the club website but not a wide player), Duff and Bent.  Width came from the full backs.  Two of the goals came with Hangeland defending out wide because he was covering for Riether who'd made an attacking run.  And because there were so many central players, they got in each other's way.  When Roy was in charge, it was all about organization, with every player knowing where he was supposed to be on defense, and I think at the moment we have the opposite.  I think you're right to say that we need to pick a team and stick with it so that players learn their roles.

You are spot on about yesterday. Just compare the Villa, Spurs and Wham game against everything that has come after

callumc513

Quote from: Holders on February 03, 2014, 06:33:37 AM
I think I can summarise our tactics as "work hard to keep a clean sheet for the whole 60 minutes".

Made me laugh, but it's spot on!

filham

Our tactics change not only from match to match but often during the match, I am confused and I suspect the players are as well.

Perhaps Rene, Wilkins and Curbs each have a turn at setting tactics.