watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Has Mr Khan wasted his money

Started by Andy S, February 02, 2014, 08:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

This is not knocking any of the new players we have signed but buying players at this time rarely staves off relegation. we also pay over the top for average players this time of year. Only if we stay up can it be deemed value for money. At the moment that seems unlikely

Danitar

Have faith, it's hard but the team need backing

copthornemike

But there have been examples of a late buy making a difference, e.g. Tevez and West Ham. Even Hangeland in the Great Escape season.

An exceptional player like that can make difference - a fired up Holtby or Mitroglou on a hot streak could just make the difference for us.

With the benefit of that great gift called hindsight the great shame is that we did not have the existing squad of players & manager at the start of the season.

Over 38 matches I would have felt confident of a mid table finish - over 15 games who knows!

YankeeJim

Quote from: Danitar on February 02, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
Have faith, it's hard but the team need backing

Agreed. When the going becomes difficult, true fans stand up and be counted. I have to say I have more doubt in my sorry head now than I did during the great escape.  :016:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

FPT

We've not overpaid for any one. You do realise that sides like Dortmund, Arsenal and Roma had eyes on Mitroglou?

Heitinga was a free and the other two were loans.

If we hadn't of invested, we would have gone down. If Mitroglou can hit the ground running, we've got a huge chance of staying up.

Also, if we go down, we have parachute payments of £60m over 4 years which replaces the loss of TV revenue, attendance etc, etc.

Should we go straight back up, we still receive the parachute payments on top of the estimated £60m you get for promotion.

In short, no.

Julius Geezer

Of course it's not wasting money - we had to strengthen.

We also did well not to overspend.

While it's still mathematically possible to stay up, there's no way we can say Khan has wasted money.