Main Menu

Old News But Still Good News

Started by White Noise, May 20, 2010, 04:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

A Glowing Report

Thursday 20th May 2010

Fulham FC News

Damien Duff's playing career was reignited at Fulham last season following a frustrating spell with Newcastle United.

Manager Roy Hodgson, having previously worked with Duff at Blackburn Rovers, had certainly not lost faith in the winger's abilities, and has been rewarded handsomely in his decision to bring Duff to SW6 last summer.

"He's [Duff] been outstanding and he's a very, very good player," Hodgson explained. "I'm sure when the annals of Irish football history are written, and there have been some good players over the years, Damien's going to be right up there with them.

"He'd have his 100 caps already if it were not for one or two quite serious injuries that kept him out for maybe one or two years. For us he's been the Damien I got to know as a young boy at Blackburn Rovers and I've been following him ever since.

"He was a much younger, somewhat shyer person because he was just starting his career. He was making his early steps, establishing himself in the Blackburn First Team.

"When I brought him back here he had a Premier League championship medal from his time at Chelsea and has had big money moves from Blackburn to Chelsea and Chelsea to Newcastle.

"He was always very clever and intelligent in his play but ten years of experience haven't done him any harm either. He's done very, very well for us. Several people tried to persuade me that he's a totally different player, but I'm pleased to say those people have been wrong and I was right, because if anything, he's a better player today."

Hodgson was also keen to highlight the character of Duff, a person that Hodgson describes as 'a football man,' and a player who clearly puts his performances on the pitch above and beyond any other factors that come with playing top flight football.

"Damien Duff didn't come to Fulham for money that's for sure," said Hodgson. "If he wanted serious money he'd of stayed at Newcastle and seen his contract out. He came here to play football and that's what he's done.

"Knowing the person, knowing his character and knowing his reasons for wanting to leave Newcastle and come here – to play football. It was, quite frankly, 'I'll come to Fulham and earn less, because that's where I want to play my football.'

"That is very, very rare in football terms and it's the mark of the man and his character. He has an unbelievable desire to play football. Damien will always play football, god willing that his legs keep going. I can imagine Damien playing at the age of 50, just for the fun of it, because he's a football man."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/HodgsonPraiseForDuff.aspx#ixzz0oTzrcxws

Tom

Fulham for life!