News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Change of Formation (slightly long-winded and wordy...)

Started by God The Mechanic, February 06, 2014, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

I think it's pretty obvious to most fans that our current tactics just aren't working.  No defensive cover, no attacking intent and no width.

Defensively we're often let down by the two full backs both pushing on leaving two fairly immobile centrebacks having to cover effectively the full width of the defensive 1/3, leading to goals like the ones conceded against Southampton.  Do you think we have the squad structure to change the current variations of 4-4-2/4-5-1/4-3-3 to 3-5-2/5-3-2 or variations thereof?

Having three centrebacks would both remove the (apparent) burden of Brede being the right sided centreback, and also result in there *always* (theoretically) being three players or more at the back.  Heitinga can play right full back, albeit not naturally, so he could cover the right centre and Burn and Hangeland can cover the central and left sided centreback positions depending on where they feel more comfortable (Burn seems to be more left-sided than Brede so...).  The two full backs could then become wing backs, Reither and Richardson are probably the two best at the moment, and offer attacking width (as well as defence).  Both seem to like attacking more than defence anyway...

In midfield we could have Kvist as a holding player, providing some cover for the three centrebacks.  If that doesn't solidify us then I'm really not sure what will!  I'd start Karagounis as often as possible, he's the only one (Holtby excluded) who can actually pass the ball.  Then the other midfield position is really up for grabs - if Holtby thinks it's his best position then he, Kasami, Parker and Sidwell can all fight for it.

Up front I'd prefer one central striker and someone just behind him.  The striker has to be Mitroglou - you don't spend that sort of money and don't start him.  Behind him it would probably be a toss up between Holtby and Kasami.  Maybe Kaca as he often offers no width and likes to "drift" centrally for large portions of the game.  Dempsey while he's here could offer competition for the role too, and if need be either Rodallega or Bent could join Mitroglou up top if/when a goal is needed/we're on top.

There's no factual evidence to back up this theory, or to show that it would be successful, but it may be worth a punt.  The current tactics sure aren't working...

FPT

I actually did a post a little under a month ago about a switch to a 3 man defence: http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=35414.0

I'm not talking 442, or 433 and not even 4411. I'm looking at a continental formation, one briefly used by Pep Guardiola's Barcelona side, and seen worked well by a certain Spaniard with a team famous for their pies. This formation was also used by Guus Hiddink as his South Korea side finished 4th in the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

I am of course talking about the 343.

The 343 provides defensive solidity, more aggressive passing channels and the ability to press high up the field penning the opponent into their half. The 343 requires energetic full backs and solid all round central midfielders, this is the bread and butter of the formation, if you have this, it can work.

The striker is typically a "big man," someone that can bring others into play and be the pivot of attack, the figurehead, we have that. The wingers need to be aggressive, with an eagerness to attack the full backs and press up the pitch.

When defending, the formation can become a 541, giving the opposition great difficulty in breaking down that sheer amount of players, but the shape of the 343 provides every player with more than one passing option, they can either go inside, outside or backwards, or in a central midfielders case, they have the option to play into the central striker.

If we were to ploy this system at Fulham:

Stekelenburg
                                             Heitinga                        Hangeland                             Burn

Riether                                                         Holtby                        Parker                                            Richardson

Dejagah                                                                        Mitroglou                                                         Kacaniklic

Bare in mind this was before we signed anybody, I have changed it around, obviously.

Jack Fulham

Considering how awful we're playing, it would be worth the risk but not sure RM, Wilkins or Curbishley have any history of playing this so I can't see them doing it. I think only Martinez and Bruce play this now, I think Mancini tried it a few times last season as well.

I'd prefer to see -

Stek

Heitinga Hangeland Burn

Riether Kvist Parker Richardson

Holtby

Mitroglou

It would provide Riether with some vital cover when he goes forward though. Two goals against Soton came last week because he was playing right wing by himself with no winger in front of him. I think it would suit him better to have someone covering him. Obviously give Holtby a free role.

F(f)CUK

One of the main problems with our team at the moment is that it keeps changing.  The latest being an ultra-conservative defensive set up against Southampton.  Therefore I just want to see a little tweak to our team rather than a change in form (for our next home game).  Uncertain whether this applies to Man U, as for all their problems, a defensive line-up may be better.

Stek

Riether  Hangland  Burn/Heitinga  Richardson/Riise

Kvist/Sidwell  Parker

Kaca  Holtby  Dejagah

Mitroglou

(I might have left sided players on the right and vice versa - but you get my drift)

westcliff white

Quote from: Jack Fulham on February 06, 2014, 11:24:47 AM
Considering how awful we're playing, it would be worth the risk but not sure RM, Wilkins or Curbishley have any history of playing this so I can't see them doing it. I think only Martinez and Bruce play this now, I think Mancini tried it a few times last season as well.

I'd prefer to see -

Stek

Heitinga Hangeland Burn

Riether Kvist Parker Richardson

Holtby

Mitroglou

It would provide Riether with some vital cover when he goes forward though. Two goals against Soton came last week because he was playing right wing by himself with no winger in front of him. I think it would suit him better to have someone covering him. Obviously give Holtby a free role.

I think thats only ten players, we have enough trouble with 11 lol ;)
Every day is a Fulham day

VamosFFC

I've always liked the 352 and 343 formations, but I doubt Rene would actually employ one. The first two posts explained the formations really well and I agree these two formations could really help.

I'd play something like this:

Stek
                   Heitinga     Hangeland      Burn

Kvist                         
   Reither           Karagounis     Tunnicliffe?       Richardson

Holtby

Mitroglou

jmh

I don't think you'd need the full backs to provide all the attacking width (resulting in them getting caught out so often as you mentioned above) if the wide attacking players were actually wide attacking players (e.g. Dejagah, Kacaniklic) rather than central players played out of position on the wings (Holtby, Kasami).  In other words, the problem isn't that we're playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1/whatever you want to call it, the problem is that we're playing that formation with the wrong combination of players.

VamosFFC

Quote from: jmh on February 06, 2014, 05:14:39 PM
I don't think you'd need the full backs to provide all the attacking width (resulting in them getting caught out so often as you mentioned above) if the wide attacking players were actually wide attacking players (e.g. Dejagah, Kacaniklic) rather than central players played out of position on the wings (Holtby, Kasami).  In other words, the problem isn't that we're playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1/whatever you want to call it, the problem is that we're playing that formation with the wrong combination of players.

I see what you're saying. It's so hard picking a team when you don't have the right players for the right positions. Or when the position they are played in isn't their strong suit.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: jmh on February 06, 2014, 05:14:39 PM

The only problem with that is I was genuinely struggling to remember when the wingers we do have offered any real threat.  The central players we have are the ones that score the goals, make the passes and beat the men so I'd like to use as many of them as possible.  If both wing backs bombed forwards there would still be three at the back, which is the equivalent of only one fullback attacking in a 4-4-2, with some more protection from Kvist.

I really don't rate the wingers that we do have at the moment.

Herbie

I agree with JMH, it's not so much the system that is utilised but more about the combinations. Formations change as the game goes on depending if attacking or defending. 

At the moment, I think our best XI are

Stek
Reither
Burn
Hangeland (although I'd like to see what Heitinga can offer)
Richardson
Dejagah
Holtby
Kvist
Kasami
Kaca
Mitroglou (even though we haven't seen him play yet)

Kvist would obviously sit in front of the back 4 allowing Holtby and Kasami to drive the ball forward through the middle. Throw in some natural width with Dejagah and Kaca and that should create some openings for Mitroglou to feed on.

In my mind, the main change we need is to swap Parker and Sidwell for Kasami and Holtby, as they tend to look to create something rather than turn and pass sideways.