watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - is there a worse rail route?

Started by SP, February 06, 2014, 07:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Than the slow line from London Fenchurch St to Southend Central?  Got on the wrong train today & got a tour through east London, wow. Good for fans of high rise flats, scrapyards & bomb sites, it makes east Berlin seem glamourous.  Is there a worse line?

Burt

epsomraver

Quote from: Burt on February 06, 2014, 08:21:32 PM
The line through Dawlish isn't great...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26062712

When that route is running though it is one of the most scenic in the world , right next to the sea, done it many a time

Burt

I know, it is stunning. Absolutely tragic that Dawish, Megavissy and all these other places are getting so trashed.

cmg

I'm always rather taken by the line out of Liverpool Street towards White Hart Lane (a dump in itself); Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath, London Fields, Hackney Downs - sounds delightfully bucolic and countrified. The reality is somewhat different.

Burt

I remember taking the football special to Villa Park when we played our lovely neighbours there in the FAC semi final, and that went through some eyesore spots...

ScalleysDad

I was in Dawlish today. The storm and tide damage is phenomenal. Having walked the wall hundreds of times, brought the kids up the beaches and travelled the route when we have had visitors down it is really sad to see the area simply blown away. The houses along this stretch are doomed and that is a disaster for the owners. Several weeks says the man from the railways ......... not likely.
The River Exe has had a say as well and Topsham got royally trashed last night. I have lived here an age now but I have never seen the Levels as bad as they are, an awesome sight if it does not physically affect you, and the Dawlish wall will lead to a call for major changes like an inland rail route. Who ultimately gets the blame will be interesting.
The old Eurostar route threw up some surprises. Going into Gare de Nord was an eye opener. 

King_Crud

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 06, 2014, 10:03:41 PM
The old Eurostar route threw up some surprises. Going into Gare de Nord was an eye opener. 

still is

leonffc

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 06, 2014, 10:03:41 PM
I was in Dawlish today. The storm and tide damage is phenomenal. Having walked the wall hundreds of times, brought the kids up the beaches and travelled the route when we have had visitors down it is really sad to see the area simply blown away. The houses along this stretch are doomed and that is a disaster for the owners. Several weeks says the man from the railways ......... not likely.
The River Exe has had a say as well and Topsham got royally trashed last night. I have lived here an age now but I have never seen the Levels as bad as they are, an awesome sight if it does not physically affect you, and the Dawlish wall will lead to a call for major changes like an inland rail route. Who ultimately gets the blame will be interesting.

I was looking at some footage of Looe today, as well as other parts of the SW. Its shocking stuff!! Ive always wanted to spend some time in Polperro in the winter when the storms are hitting the harbour and the roaring fires in the pubs are keeping me warm, to give me a nostalgic feel of ye olde days. I'm glad I didn't choose this year, my romantasised views would have been shattered by the hardship that the locals have to endure

Holders

The best time to go to some of these coastal places is in the winter - Hope Cove or East Prawle for example. Lovely fire, glass of cider...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Alan

Quote from: SP on February 06, 2014, 07:54:04 PM
Than the slow line from London Fenchurch St to Southend Central?  Got on the wrong train today & got a tour through east London, wow. Good for fans of high rise flats, scrapyards & bomb sites, it makes east Berlin seem glamourous.  Is there a worse line?

We're not that bad. In fact, you can see my place of birth from that line, so somewhere useful. There are some worse...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

GloucesterWhite

I have family in Porthleven and one of the boats sunk belonged to my brother-in-law. Amazing sights and the force of the sea to break that harbour entrance must have been incredible. Winds of nearly 100 mph at nearby Culdrose.

westcliff white

Quote from: SP on February 06, 2014, 07:54:04 PM
Than the slow line from London Fenchurch St to Southend Central?  Got on the wrong train today & got a tour through east London, wow. Good for fans of high rise flats, scrapyards & bomb sites, it makes east Berlin seem glamorous.  Is there a worse line?
Going Fenchurch Street to Southend is not that bad, its only bad when you get to barking and go via the loop, then it isn't the best for scenic views. This maybe what you mean but that part really isn't east London so to speak. Barking to Pitsea via Purfleet is definitely Essex, some may say its East London (those living there I guess) but it truly inst.
Every day is a Fulham day