watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Starting Heitenga on Sunday over Burn or Hangeland

Started by horse1031, February 07, 2014, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

I find myself troubled over who I would pick for starting center backs between Johnny, Brede, and Dan this Sunday against Manu.  Burn has played very well the last three weeks.  I think every game he has done better than I thought he would in regards to reading the game and looking comfortable on the ball.  He is young and is doing well with his first stint with the senior team.

Still, i think I would pick Johnny to play with Brede on Sunday against Manchester United.  I want to keep playing Burn but at the same time I think an international like Heitenga needs to get in the game with Brede because of the experience that they provide.  Brede has had some tough games but he is still a very good center back.

It is a good headache for Rene to have because I think whoever he plays is going to play better than we had when he had only Amorebieta, Hughes, and Senderos to pick from!

mullers

spikey norman

Quote from: mullers on February 07, 2014, 07:43:56 PM
Play 'em all, five at the back.
Interview in Mail on Thursday with Rene saying that all week the team were practising defensive tactics and may  not stick with his normal philosophy(?) of attacking football so we may end up having
                                   Stek

Riether.       Heitinga  Hangeland    Burn.       Richardson

Kvist

Parker.                          Sidwell
                                   Holtby.     

Bent/Kasami/?

DukeTyrion

.................. Stek ... Stockdale .................

........ Heitinga ... Hangeland ... Burn ...........
Reither .................................... Richardson

......... Parker ... Kvist ... Sidwell ................
Dejagah ............. Holtby ...................Kaka

..................Kasami.................................
...........................Mitaglou......................

Might be enough to get us a draw ...

PokerMatt

Three at the back would really suit us.

None of our full-backs are the best defensively. They all want to attack more than defend and it does make a lot of sense to solidify things by bringing another centre-back in.

Essentially we wouldn't lose much shape as we rarely put actual wingers on the flanks and Holtby would especially flourish with the extra space.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

K33NY

if we can keep a clean sheet, and get only 1 goal each match, screw the goal difference, but at least it gives us 3 points! I dont care if we dont score many goals but get the points we need

horse1031

Quote from: DukeTyrion on February 07, 2014, 08:13:07 PM
.................. Stek ... Stockdale .................

........ Heitinga ... Hangeland ... Burn ...........
Reither .................................... Richardson

......... Parker ... Kvist ... Sidwell ................
Dejagah ............. Holtby ...................Kaka

..................Kasami.................................
...........................Mitaglou......................

Might be enough to get us a draw ...

add 3 more we might have a shot...wouldnt score though

copthornemike

If defensive solidity from the start is the priority  Heitiinga replacing Reither might be worth considering!

VamosFFC

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 07, 2014, 08:16:51 PM

None of our full-backs are the best defensively. They all want to attack more than defend and it does make a lot of sense to solidify things by bringing another centre-back in.

Essentially we wouldn't lose much shape as we rarely put actual wingers on the flanks and Holtby would especially flourish with the extra space.

I really like three at the back and as you stated, our fullbacks are attack minded. I like both the 352 and 343 formations, but feel a 343 would suit us well. With three in the back, the wingers can recover to defend if needed and we still have the forward wingers up top sort of playing in between a forward and midfield role. I like it, but it probably won't ever happen.

horse1031

3-5-2

Stek

Heitenga      Hangeland     Burn

Dejegah       Parker     Kvist       Kasami       Richardson

Glue            Holtby

The Rock

Richardson. It's not even Hetingas position, but Richardson is so poor that even an out of position player should be a vast improvement.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: VamosFFC on February 07, 2014, 09:14:34 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on February 07, 2014, 08:16:51 PM

I really like three at the back and as you stated, our fullbacks are attack minded. I like both the 352 and 343 formations, but feel a 343 would suit us well. With three in the back, the wingers can recover to defend if needed and we still have the forward wingers up top sort of playing in between a forward and midfield role. I like it, but it probably won't ever happen.

Agree, against Manure with Rooney, Mata and RVP playing 3 at the back plus two wing backs in Reither and Richardson makes sense. Kvist and Parker cover in the middle and Karag in front of them, then Holtby off Bent. Cant sadly see Mitroglou starting. The risk is we are then narrow but Moyes can't play this three and Janazjai and two wingers so narrow could work.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Bassey the warrior

I actually don't think three at the back will make us defensive. Riether is very effective as a wing back and is the best crosser at the club and Richardson although lacking a decent cross is quick and will force Utd back. This would mean we don't have to play both Parker and Sidwell as well. I'd go with:

Stek
  Heitinga Hangeland Burn
Riether                        Richardson
             Kvist

Parker  Holtby    Kasami

Mitro (if fit to start, if not then whoever, they're all rubbish)

RaySmith

We need to be tight defensively with our recent record, and against Rooney, Van Persie and Mata.

But then if you don't attack you're under constant pressure, and we might even score of course!

Well, a draw would be a great result.

fulhamking

Heitinga is a deffensive midd. So, play him in front of the back four, a la Busquets.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: fulhamking on February 08, 2014, 12:12:21 AM
Heitinga is a deffensive midd. So, play him in front of the back four, a la Busquets.

What about Kvist? He looked good on his debut.

callumc513

Quote from: The Moose on February 08, 2014, 12:44:48 AM

What about Kvist? He looked good on his debut.

Looked our best player, Holtby a close second.

MickeyCowdroy

I agree with Fulhamking. Play Heitinga in David luiz's role against man city - him and matic were two defensive midds but Luiz would drop back into the back four when needed;

Stek
Reith   Hang     Burn    Rich
            Heit    Kvist
Dejag        Holtby         Demps
                Mitroglue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby2012

Heitinga is a defender and played mostly centre back or right back.