watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (09/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 08, 2014, 07:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Manchester United - Fulham Preview: Meulensteen returns to Old Trafford with struggling Cottagers

The west Londoners have slipped to the bottom of the table, though can call on January recruit Konstantinos Mitroglou, while Nemanja Vidic returns from suspension for the hosts

Manchester United will attempt to reinvigorate their dwindling hopes of Champions League qualification when former coach Rene Meulensteen brings his struggling Fulham side to Old Trafford on Sunday.

The reigning champions lost their eighth game in the Premier League this term at Stoke City last Saturday, and will be looking to get back to winning ways against the west Londoners, who are rooted to the foot of the table.

David Moyes' men currently sit in seventh place and their latest setback leaves them trailing fourth-placed Liverpool by seven points with 14 top-flight matches remaining.

In the latest development of an eventful for season at helm for Moyes, Nemanja Vidic this week revealed he will leave the club at the end of the season.

Vidic returns from suspension this weekend as United strive to avoid a defeat that would equal the most games they have lost in a single Premier League campaign, and leave their hopes of qualifying for Europe's elite competition via league position in further doubt.

History suggests United will claim three points at Old Trafford. They have registered nine straight league victories over the Cottagers on home soil.

Indeed, the only time Fulham have left Old Trafford with a maximum haul in the Premier League came in a 3-1 triumph in October 2003, with Lee Clark, Steed Malbranque and Junichi Inamoto scoring on that occasion.

United forward Wayne Rooney has enjoyed playing Fulham in the past, with five goals in his last six games across all competitions against the Craven Cottage outfit.

Strike partner Robin van Persie will also be confident of scoring, the Dutchman has six goals in his last seven Premier League outings, including two from two since his return from a month-long lay-off with a groin injury.

United will be without Jonny Evans (calf), Marouane Fellaini (groin) and Nani (hamstring), but Phil Jones (concussion) could feature.

For Fulham head coach Meulensteen, meanwhile, the fixture represents a first return to Old Trafford after being axed as part of Moyes' backroom clear-out, with the Dutchman enjoying spells as part of Alex Ferguson's coaching staff.

But he returns to Manchester with his side in awful form that has seen the side slip to the foot of the Premier League.

Fulham have lost four consecutive top-flight matches including a comprehensive 3-0 setback to Southampton at Craven Cottage in their last league outing.

Morale was further hindered following a 1-0 defeat to Sheffield United in an FA Cup fourth-round replay on Tuesday, with Shaun Miller grabbing the winner in the last minute of extra time.

Club record signing Konstantinos Mitroglou could make his Fulham debut at Old Trafford after being ineligible to face Southampton and Sheffield United.

Defender John Heitinga is also in contention to make his bow following his move from Everton.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/109551/manchester-united-vs-fulham/preview

WhiteJC

Another record at the mercy of Moyes' United

The last seven days have been strange. United have lost against one of the worst teams in the league, they have seen the manager they didn't deem fit enough to take over from Fergie defeat City in their own backyard after an incredible unbeaten run and have witnessed their captain announcing that, well, he'll no longer feature in the team picture next summer.

And so the merry Premier League ride brings us to Fulham at home, a game that hardly gets the juices flowing but one we absolutely have to win, given the nature of the other weekend's fixtures, with Liverpool hosting Arsenal and Spurs welcoming Everton in what is, effectively, almost a Champions League playoff.

Luckily for United, Fulham are as obliging a team to visit Old Trafford as Moyes could ever hope for, and Betbright have accordingly boosted United's price to beat Fulham, up from 1/5 to Evens at https://www.betbright.com/lg/5900/444 – it's a bankable win even in this hellhole of a season.

With Jonny Evans missing after the injury he sustained at Stoke and Marouane Fellaini sidelined for a further week – will we ever get to see him playing again, I wonder – David Moyes' options are again largely limited, which may not mean much, given Moyes' affection for a good old 4-4-2.

Chris Smalling and one between Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand are expected to start at centre-back, with one having already declared that he'll leave the club in the summer, while the other was too busy on Twitter to realise that he might be called into action this weekend.

In the middle of the park, the usual tragedy is about to unfold, with Tom Cleverley likely to partner Michael Carrick to little avail, just as he did last week against Stoke.

Quite what Cleverley has to do to be dropped remains beyond anyone's understanding, but when the other options are a 40-year-old Ryan Giggs and a fit-again Darren Fletcher, Cleverley's selection says more about him than he does about his teammates.

With Fulham rooted at the bottom of the table one gets the feeling that if Moyes doesn't unleash Juan Mata, Adnan Januzaj, Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie tomorrow, he never will and yet it wouldn't be so surprising to see Antonio Valencia and/or Ashley Young starting.

Fulham, and let's get this straight, have been absolutely awful this season, losing five of their last six games in the Premier League and while the arrival of Kostas Mitroglou promises goals, the Greek striker might not be enough to keep the Cottagers in the top flight.

Fulham arrive at Old Trafford having lost seven of their last eight games away from home during which they have conceded at least two goals per game, while they have tasted defeat in six of their last games on the road, hardly a statistic to cling on to ahead of their trip up north.

United, meanwhile, have won all their last 11 games against Fulham, but if ever there was a season during which records were interrupted, this is it, therefore stick a fiver on Fulham winning 2-0 on Sunday, as we drop even further from fourth place.

Or maybe not, because United might even put on a decent performance and win on Sunday, just to get us all giddy yet again, ahead of Wednesday's trip to Arsenal.

- See more at: http://redrants.com/another-record-at-the-mercy-of-moyes-united/?#sthash.PgqjQT3a.dpuf

WhiteJC

Liverpool remain keen on Fulham star

Liverpool could still be interested in signing Greek striker Konstantinos Mitroglou this summer if Fulham are relegated, SportsDirect News understands.

The 25-year-old only just signed for the London outfit from Olympiacos, where his fine goalscoring form this season had seen him emerge as a target for a number of top European clubs.

In the end, however, he joined struggling Fulham in the January transfer window, and will be seen as a key part in helping Rene Meulensteen's side avoid the drop this season.

Still, with Fulham currently bottom of the Premier League, they remain among the favourites to go down, and it is thought that Liverpool will be ready to pounce for the Greece international if that happens.

The Reds were among his main suitors a few months back, and may be in need of additions upfront this summer if they fail to keep Luis Suarez from joining Real Madrid.

The Cottagers won't want to lose a key player so soon, but it seems unlikely that they will be able to keep Mitroglou and other big names if they drop down to the Championship.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/40012-liverpool-remain-keen-on-fulham-star.php#.UvaLS_0dObA

WhiteJC

Fulham free fall already looks like ending in relegation tears
And with their tough fixture lists, Norwich City and Cardiff City could be joining them

Fulham players stand dejected after Sheffield United scored what turned out to be a late winner in their FA Cup Fourth Round replay at Craven Cottage. Already out of both cups, the London side also look like prime candidates for Premier League relegation. Photograph: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

It was a personal reminder of the importance of doggedness in football. After 90 minutes of tedium from Craven Cottage, then some of the first half of extra-time, the channel was finally switched from ITV4 to BBC4 on Tuesday night. The subject matter changed from Fulham versus Sheffield United in a squalid FA Cup replay to the art of the Rococo period. The contrast was, as they say, stark.
If only the switch had been made earlier. If only Fulham had signed Rococo.

Seven signings
Perhaps they have – Fulham made seven signings in January – but none was available to score a goal against the team second-bottom in League One, the English third tier.
So Fulham are out of an FA Cup they have never won. They have never won the League Cup either and departed this season at Championship leaders Leicester City.
Along the way, having changed ownership last summer, Fulham swapped one Dutch manager, Martin Jol, for another, Rene Meulensteen.
The upturn has not been apparent. Solid members of the Premier League despite the absence of trophies – when they came seventh in 2009 under Roy Hodgson it was their highest-ever top-flight finish: Fulham's presence at the top table is now being edged away like a chair at a disappointing lunch.
The last six league games have brought three points. The run began with a 6-0 defeat at Hull. The one victory was against 10-man West Ham. Four consecutive losses later, Fulham have dropped to the bottom of the table.
Their next two games are Manchester United away (tomorrow) and Liverpool at home next Wednesday. You can see where this is going.
Lose both and Fulham will have 19 points from 26 matches. Last season Queens Park Rangers had 17 points from 26 matches. They too spent heavily in the January transfer window but although Loic Remy scored five goals in his first nine appearances, by season's end QPR were long-gone.
Should Fulham's biggest new signing, Kostas Mitroglou, from Olympiakos, score at Remy's rate of a year ago, he will probably think he's fulfilled part of his side of the deal. But will that be enough?
Lewis Holtby has also arrived, from Spurs, and Clint Dempsey is back from America for a short spell, but it would require an optimistic reading of the fixture list to see Fulham staying up. It's not just Manchester United and Liverpool, in their next eight matches they also face Chelsea, Manchester City, Everton and Newcastle.
This is a team that has conceded 53 goals already, 20 more than either West Ham or Crystal Palace.

Relegation puzzle
Yes, just six points separate the bottom half, but unless Meulensteen – or his possible replacement Alan Curbishley – are capable of enticing trickery, one third of the relegation puzzle looks solved.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/fulham-free-fall-already-looks-like-ending-in-relegation-tears-1.1683707

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen pledges to succeed

Rene Meulensteen has reiterated his desire to succeed at Fulham and silence the doubters ahead of an emotional return to Manchester United.

The Dutch manager spent 12 years at United under Sir Alex Ferguson, before moving on after the arrival of David Moyes and his own staff at Old Trafford, and is now trying his hand at management again after an unsuccessful spell at Danish side Brondby earlier in his career.

However, all has not gone to plan so far at Fulham, with the Cottagers rooted to the foot of the Premier League table, and having been dumped out of the FA Cup by League One side Sheffield United.

But the under-pressure boss is adamant he will turn things around in west London, and believes he has everything in place to do just that.

"I don't have sleepless nights. I stick my energy into things I can affect," Meulensteen told the Daily Telegraph.

"Why I am confident we will stay up is we are doing things right in training.

"There's energy, work with purpose at training."

Meulensteen also revealed he has had the support of some key figures back at Old Trafford, which will make Sunday's clash with United very emotional for him.

"He (Ferguson) has reassured me," Meulensteen added.

"He said: 'I know what you are capable of doing. You've got great qualities. Just stick to your beliefs and you'll turn things around'.

"It will be like coming home. I spent 12 years there and loved every minute."

The 49-year-old could have still been sitting in the United dugout if Moyes had not come in and decided to bring in his own men.

But Meulensteen bears no grudges, and is looking forward to shaking the United chieftain's hand.

"I wish David Moyes all the best, there's no animosity between us," he added.

"I have been in touch on numerous occasions, and he was the first to ring me and congratulate me on my job.

"Just the fact that people get into positions where maybe they are not so sure this will work. It doesn't mean there will be animosity, not at all."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9156083?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Man Utd v Fulham (16:00 GMT)

Manchester United have had some difficult times of late but Fulham are having an absolute nightmare of a season.

Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen took over a mess when he got the job at the start of December, and he has made it a bigger mess.

I know Meulensteen signed players at the end of January so you think he will be given a chance to play the likes of Konstantinos Mitroglou and Johnny Heitinga before a decision is made on his future, but the next few games really are the last throw of the dice for him.

Defensively, Manchester United are miles away from where they need to be. It is not a secret anymore because teams know they can get at them, and United know it too.

United's front four is great, whoever they play, but the problem is they are built on a crumbling foundation. They did not strengthen at the back during January so it is up to David Moyes to decide his strongest back four.

In the centre, I would always play Nemanja Vidic if he is fit because he is a warrior. I would play Jonny Evans alongside him, although I am not totally convinced by him, because I would put Phil Jones in midfield.

As far as full-backs go, anyone but Rafael at right-back because he is a liability. As for Patrice Evra, I would say to him that even if he leaves at the end of the season then he needs to put in some performances for his own sake as much as the team.

He is still a very good full-back, especially going forward, but part of the reason United are struggling at the back is because their full-backs are fine going forward but do not offer much protection to their centre-backs.

From their point of view, thank goodness goalkeeper David De Gea is having such a good season.

Lawro's prediction: 3-0
Josh's prediction: Again, I think there is a bit of an upset on the cards. United's form has been so hit and miss this season so far. 1-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26068846

WhiteJC

Some Doom and Gloom

Or don`t get your hopes up!

As Rene Meulensteen contemplates taking his Fulham side to Old Trafford, a ground he knows so well, we`ve a few hard facts for you to mull over, facts that show we`re in a terrible run of form and that the history books show Old Trafford isn`t a good place for us to visit.

• Our recent form has seen us lose 13 of the last 16 Premier League games.

• Our last three Premier League games have been 0-0 at half time but each of those three has seen us lose.

• Manchester United have won their last 9 Premier League home games against us.

• Only once in 51 years have we avoided defeat at Old Trafford and that was back in 2003 when we won 3-1

• In five of the last six league fixtures between us at Old Trafford we`ve failed to score.

• In the 11 games Rene Meulensteen has been in charge we`ve conceded 29 goals.

• We`ve not drawn for 20 Premier League games.

Anyone care to predict a Fulham win?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348912#ixzz2slLG3i9X

WhiteJC

William Kvist convinced Fulham can shine at Manchester United

William Kvist: Fulham midfielder insists Manchester United trip is not mission impossible

William Kvist is confident that Fulham can become the latest side to take points off Manchester United at Old Trafford.

The Cottagers prop up the Premier League table after a run of four straight defeats, but new midfielder Kvist believes his team-mates should be encouraged by United's poor home record this season.

The reigning champions have already lost four games at Old Trafford, and Denmark international Kvist insists Fulham have nothing to fear despite their perilous position.

"Teams have shown this season that it is possible to get points at Old Trafford," said Kvist, who made his Fulham debut in last week's 3-0 defeat to Southampton.

"Of course that will give us a little bit of confidence but we will have to focus on ourselves. At the moment we can't look at anybody else, we need to have all of our concepts clear. It is not a great situation at the moment and I think everybody is aware of that."

Kvist moved to Fulham on a loan deal from Stuttgart late in the January transfer window and was joined by Johnny Heitinga, Lewis Holtby and Kostas

Mitroglu on deadline day.

Now the 28-year-old is confident that, with a little hard work, Fulham's squad now has the ability to achieve Premier League survival.

"There is actually a lot of quality in the team and then bringing in new people as well will get the energy started again, and the belief that we can do this," he added.

"We need to work hard as well as compete and we just have to take one step at a time. It can't get any worse at the moment and we have 14 games left in the Premier League and that's a lot of points ahead of us.

"There are a lot of possibilities and we have to be very focused in every game. Getting our new guys into the team, I think we'll make good performances in the next couple of months."

The trip to Old Trafford sees head coach Rene Meulensteen return to the club he worked at for 12 years during two spells under Sir Alex Ferguson, and he refuses to bow to the pressure with Fulham four points from safety.

"People keep saying there's pressure," he said. "I don't see it as pressure - it is a challenge, that is what it is.

"Life throws challenges at you and that is what you need to deal with, you need to accept the challenge and rise up to the challenge. That is what we do.

"For us it's another game against a very strong opponent where we've prepared very well. We need to get our act together and hopefully we can get something out of it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9156225?

WhiteJC

Port Vale extend Fulham defender Jack Grimmer's loan until end of season

PORT Vale have extended the loan of Fulham defender Jack Grimmer until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old's initial month's loan was due to expire after this afternoon's home game with Swindon.

But Vale were keen to get an extended deal because the Premier League youngster has been hugely impressive in his four games for the Valiants so far, playing both at right back and in central defence.

Grimmer had also made clear he wanted to stay at Vale Park until the end of the campaign.

Vale manager Micky Adams said: "It is great news for the club and for the player too as he will continue to get first team games under his belt.

"We must thank Fulham for allowing Jack to stay."

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-extend-Fulham-defender-Jack-Grimmer-s/story-20589931-detail/story.html#ixzz2slM1rroq

WhiteJC

The Tipster: Juan Mata can send Manchester United to an easy win against feeble Fulham

Manchester United are 10,000/1 to be relegated this season but opposition fans will be splashing out of cheeky bets if they can't beat Fulham at Old Trafford.

The defending Premier League have been more like candidates for a place in the bottom three since the turn of the year and have struggled despite the return to fitness of Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, losing at Stoke last weekend.

That rot surely has to stop against a Fulham side which is bottom of the table and lacking any shred of confidence after being knocked out of the FA Cup by League One Sheffield United in midweek.

They have new recruits to replace some of the deadwood in the side but United should beat them comfortably to put an end to the jibes sweeping twitter about this being a relegation six-pointer and lengthen those 10,000/1 relegation odds posted by Ladbrokes.

United are 8/11 with Bet365 to lead at half-time and full-time and Juan Mata is 9/5 with the SpreadEx sports book to score his first goal since his big money move from Chelsea.

Tottenham and Everton open the Sunday soccer with an interesting clash at White Hart Lane and the draw looks a good price at 5/2 with several firms. Spurs striker Emmanuel Adebayor is 2/1 with Bet365 to get on the scoresheet at some point.

Greyhounds: Fear Emoski enjoyed a stunning campaign last season but and leads the market to win the Ladbrokes Golden Jacket, which starts tonight at Crayford,at 4/1 with the sponsors.

But no favourite has ever won the highly rated competition and the inside draw does not favour runners who favour tearing it up along the rails at the Kent track.

So we will be cheering on the mark Wallis trained Hometwon Honey when the action is screened on RPGTV on Sky channel 212 this evening and backing the wide runner at 7/1 with Ladbrokes to be the best dog in the competition when the dust settles.

Laughing Sam is 33/1 across the board and Jaytee Monroe 50/1 almost everywhere and these two wide runners are worth each-way bets.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/08/the-tipster-juan-mata-can-send-manchester-united-to-an-easy-win-against-feeble-fulham-4295827/?

WhiteJC

Tottenham's Lewis Holtby hopes Fulham loan will prove Tim Sherwood was wrong not to pick him

"I'm still looking for that answer why I didn't get the run-out. I'm happy to get this opportunity to play week in, week out and show what I can do"

Ian Walton
Cottage industry: Holtby's straight into the Fulham side after being on the fringes at Spurs

Lewis Holtby insists he can keep rock-bottom Fulham in the Premier League – and prove Tottenham wrong.

Spurs rushed though Holtby's signing from Schalke last January to stave off interest from Arsenal and Liverpool – but he was left confused at the way he was treated by the north Londoners.

Ahead of the Cottagers' Sunday trip to Manchester United, the 23-year-old said: "I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is (at Spurs). In the summer we bought seven players, we had a lot of players of high quality in the team and it's always difficult if you have to rotate.

"I'm still figuring out why it didn't work out, because me and Jermain Defoe always linked up pretty well when we played in the Europa League.

"You want to be in the first eleven every week then suddenly you're not and then the gaffer's changed as well and there's a change of system and you're still not in the first eleven.

"I'm still looking for that answer why I didn't get the run-out. Thankfully I'm happy to get the opportunity at Fulham to play at the highest level week in, week out and to show what I can do."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-lewis-holtby-hopes-fulham-3124464#ixzz2snZK3g8P
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Manchester United's David Moyes looks for comfortable win over Fulham
• Manager readies himself for another defining spell
• René Meulensteen makes return to Old Trafford

David Moyes must be beginning to feel every week is a defining period in the newly turbulent history of Manchester United, though the next few days really might be. Fulham were so wretched against Sheffield United in the FA Cup in midweek that anything other than a comfortable home win at Old Trafford on Sundaywould bring a fresh set of crisis headlines.

Very few of United's wins this season could be described as comfortable, though the one that gave Moyes most hope was the victory over Arsenal in November. That remains United's only success against a top-six side all season, and if any hope of a fourth place finish is to be entertained United need to repeat it at the Emirates on Wednesday.

Moyes's side already needs both Merseyside clubs and Tottenham to falter to allow even a glimpse of a Champions League placing, but the question to be asked should the result at Arsenal go against them is whether a team with nine defeats to its name by mid-February has any business playing in the Champions League anyway.

"All we can do is try to win the next match," Moyes said. "To get to the position we want to be in, teams above us will have to slip up. We accept that, but we have to be ready to take the chance if offered. We have always felt ourselves capable of moving up the table."

"We would take any win. Our form at Old Trafford hasn't given us that (right). I never thought we looked like losing against Cardiff but actually, truthfully, I thought we were better at Stoke. We can improve a lot on both performances.

"We've got a big game coming up on Wednesday as well, so I've got to take that into consideration. I thought we showed some good signs at Stoke."

Fulham's visit brings René Meulensteen back to Old Trafford for the first time since leaving United's coaching staff when Moyes took over. Now that the London club are bottom of the table and seemingly ill-equipped for a relegation struggle there has been slightly less talk of Moyes making a mistake in letting him go, and in any case the United manager says it was the Dutchman's own decision. "René helped me when I first came here, I would have liked him to stay at the time but he wanted to go and that was fine," Moyes said.

"You always have a difficult decision to make about coaching staff when you move to a new club. I have been criticised for letting René go but I could turn it round and say the same thing. René didn't keep any of his staff on at Fulham, he did just the same as I did. I actually think René made the right decision last summer, and I believe I made the right decision as well. It was the right time for everybody and I appreciated René being so honest. I knew it was going to be a big job to take on and it's not proved to be anything different."

Moyes has something else to thank Meulensteen for too. It remains to be seen whether £12m striker Konstantinos Mitroglou will help in Fulham's fight for survival or justify the club's faith in parting with a record transfer fee, but Moyes feels Olympiakos, United's next opponents when the Champions League resumes, are bound to miss him. "I've seen a bit of him on tapes and he looks quite good," Moyes said. "He can finish with both feet, he's got a decent record and they think highly of him in Greece. René might have done us a favour there."

Nemanja Vidic will be back from suspension for the Fulham game, and will remain United captain until his departure at the end of the season, when Moyes sees no immediate need to enter the market for a new centre-half. "We've got three at the club who are all young yet all quite experienced,"Moyes explained.

"After the World Cup I think England will probably be looking at Chris Smalling and Phil Jones as their next centre-halves, and we have them here at Manchester United and Jonny Evans as well. The big thing we will miss with Vida going is his leadership, his warrior qualities. I do think that Evans, Jones and Smalling have been pushing through for their place though, and that's the way you want it.

"Every club needs pressure on the top places. Between now and the end of the season I will be making my mind up about a new captain. The person who takes over as captain of this club has to understand the responsibility it carries, what's required of you. But I think we've got a lot of leaders in the squad. They will all get their chance to stake their claim."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/08/manchester-united-david-moyes-fulham?

WhiteJC

Dark days down by the riverside for Fulham

West London club's slide from mid-table comfort to relegation danger poses huge challenge as they travel to Old Trafford

Rene Meulensteen eventually took the call from Florida on Wednesday. Despite all the talk of managerial change after the previous night's 1-0 FA Cup defeat by Sheffield United, though, the message from Shahid Khan remained the same: "Stay focused, stay optimistic, we'll clear this situation".

The Fulham owner cannot be accused of inconsistency. His comments to Meulensteen fit with the mantra reportedly being spread around Craven Cottage over the past few weeks: relegation is "unthinkable".

The problem with that point of view is that if they do slip into the Championship, it may require a genuine realignment of how the club think about themselves, the future and the way they have handled the very recent past. This season's struggles, after over a decade of mostly mid-table and middle-class comfort, come at a particularly unfortunate time.

With QPR back looking to learn from the mistakes of 2012-13, and Brentford already acting on hugely ambition plans ahead of the construction of a new stadium, Fulham's place in west London's football hierarchy suddenly looks precarious.

There can be little disputing the club's unique status over the past decade. As former player Alan Mullery puts it: "There's something special about Craven Cottage, to go there and watch Premier League football." Even Jose Mourinho expressed his warmth back in August: "I like Fulham a lot, they are my neighbours."

Ideally placed by the Thames to attract the tourist who fancies top-level football but can't get a one-off ticket for the likes of Chelsea, the club initially took full advantage on returning to Craven Cottage in 2004. The application for a "neutral end" licence was a masterstroke, giving them both an extra revenue stream and a somewhat envious status.

The first few months of last season could even have been regarded as an optimum for a mid-table club, given how Fulham initially used the freedom from pressure to play free-scoring football.

The key question now is why it has all evaporated so suddenly; there is now poor football, few goals except those going into the Fulham net, and an awful lot of pressure. David Lloyd, the editor of the fanzine There's Only One F in Fulham, argues that the decline is actually not sudden at all. Far from building on their position, the club are paying for long-term complacency about it.

"We're rubbing our eyes in disbelief at what's going on, given the previous stable nature of the club – the fact it's just been allowed to drift with a sort of 'Oh well, we'll get it right next week then' mentality," Lloyd says. "Up to now, next week hasn't arrived. Lack of investment has played a big part."

The last day of the latest transfer window emphasised this. After five consecutive windows in which the former manager Martin Jol spent no more than £4 million net, Fulham brought in six players, including the £12.5m Kostas Mitroglou. They were all the kind of purchases people had been saying for three years that the side needed.

Meulensteen has already talked about how Lewis Holtby has "lifted the whole place with his energy", adding youth and spark that was previously lacking. It remains to be seen whether it is enough to lift them out of the relegation zone.

The situation appears an attempt to press any button in the hope of one working. Fulham have made a number of quick-fix purchases for an inexperienced manager with a long-term approach, aided by the old-fashioned knowhow of the first-team technical director, Alan Curbishley.

In the two months since taking charge, Meulensteen has overseen the worst points return of all 20 Premier League clubs, and Fulham currently have the third worst defensive record in the top flight over the past 40 years.

Given their perilous situation, they could do with the clarity and structure demonstrated by Tony Pulis's Crystal Palace. Yet Holtby believes that will arrive.

"I don't think [the approach] is too open," he says. "All week we've trained to keep our shape. It's not easy for a gaffer coming in the middle of the season, in the relegation battle, to bring his system in. Very short time, a lot of games, no pre-season, so he's trying to do it now and we all believe in it, every player."

Meulensteen says that is why Khan's comments were so important, "to make sure you keep believing in the right things". Ahead of the Fulham manager's return to Manchester United for the first time since departing his role as assistant manager in the summer, he revealed that Alex Ferguson said much the same to him, warning that: "[If] you lose your focus, you might start to do things that don't help the team."

Fulham must hope that the club as a whole have not started to realise that too late.

Manchester United v Fulham is live on Sky Sports 1 today, kick-off 4pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/dark-days-down-by-the-riverside-for-fulham-9117123.html

WhiteJC

Lewis Holtby targets World Cup place with Germany

Midfielder Lewis Holtby hopes that a string of impressive performances for Fulham will help him to earn a place in Germany's World Cup squad.

The 23-year-old left Tottenham Hotspur last month to join Rene Meulensteen's Cottagers on loan until the end of the season.

"I'm hungry for games, especially in the Premier League, that's what I came here for," explained Holtby.

"It is a great opportunity for me now at Fulham to get these games and get the full trust of the gaffer, Mr Meulensteen, and show my abilities and what I can do and maybe slot in to the Germany side too, somehow, to get my confidence running.

"I want to show the Premier League and all the pundits what I can do week in, week out on the pitch. To stay in London was perfect, everything felt right from the start. I will try and show people what I can do and hopefully the German national team as well."

Holtby has been capped three times by Germany at senior international level, having earned his first full cap in November 2010.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/world-cup/news/lewis-holtby-targets-world-cup-place_136419.html

WhiteJC

William Kvist targets Manchester United scalp

William Kvist is hopeful that Fulham can become the latest team to inflict a home defeat on Manchester United this season ahead of this afternoon's clash at Old Trafford.

United have slumped to four home losses in the Premier League this term - five in all competitions - with West Bromwich Albion, Newcastle United and Swansea City among those to have come away with victories from the Theatre of Dreams.

He told the Cottagers' official website: "Teams have shown this season that it is possible to get points at Old Trafford and, of course, that will give us a little bit of confidence but we will have to focus on ourselves."

Today's clash in the North West is scheduled to kick off at 4pm.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/kvist-targets-united-scalp_136449.html

WhiteJC

'We would take any win' – Moyes desperate for Manchester United victory over Fulham

The Scot has urged his side to improve on recent performances against Rene Meulensteen's men and wants players to stake their claim to be the club's new captain

Manchester United manager David Moyes says his side "would take any win" as they prepare to face Fulham on Sunday.

The reigning Premier League champions face the division's bottom side at Old Trafford hoping to bounce back from defeat to Stoke City last time out.

United have already lost eight times in the league this season and Moyes admits three points are crucial for his side on Sunday.

"We would take any win," he told reporters. "Our form at Old Trafford hasn't given us that

"I never thought we looked like losing against Cardiff but actually, truthfully, I thought we were better at Stoke. We can improve a lot on both performances.

"All we can do is try to win the next match, To get to the position we want to be in, teams above us will have to slip up. We accept that, but we have to be ready to take the chance if offered. We have always felt ourselves capable of moving up the table."

Following the news that Nemanja Vidic is to leave the club at the end of the season, Moyes admits he is now trying to decide who will take over the armband at Old Trafford.

"Every club needs pressure on the top places. Between now and the end of the season I will be making my mind up about a new captain," he added.

"The person who takes over as captain of this club has to understand the responsibility it carries, what's required of you. But I think we've got a lot of leaders in the squad. They will all get their chance to stake their claim."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/02/09/4605747/-?

WhiteJC

Manchester United v Fulham: Champions set to thrash hapless Cottagers

Mike Norman previews Super Sunday's live kick-off between Manchester United and Fulham, and our man believes the home side can record a big win against the team at the foot of the table...

Manchester United v Fulham
Sunday, 16:00
Live on Sky Sports 1

Manchester United

Time is running out for the defending Premier League champions who now find themselves 16 points behind league leaders Chelsea and, perhaps more importantly, 10 points behind fourth-placed Liverpool after Saturday's results.

Qualifying for next season's Champions League is now the only realistic aim for David Moyes and to do that they'll probably need to win at least 12 of their remaining 14 league fixtures, starting with Fulham at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon.

Nemanja Vidic, who has announced that he will leave the club at the end of the season, is available to play after serving a suspension and he could replace Jonny Evans who has a calf strain. Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney, and Juan Mata are all expected to play from the outset.

Fulham

The Cottagers go from bad to worse under Rene Meulensteen and now sit rock bottom of the table, five points adrift of safety, and with a much worse goal difference than all the clubs around them. They've lost four consecutive league games and on Tuesday night suffered the embarrassment of losing at home to League One outfit Sheffield United in the FA Cup.

Club-record signing Kostas Mitroglou is set to make his debut at Old Trafford while Johnny Heitinga, also signed in the January Transfer Window, could also make his debut as Meulensteen tries to find a solution to his side's defensive woes.

Match Odds

Even allowing for United being way below their best this season they'll never get a better opportunity to record a confidence-boosting victory than the one presented to them on Sunday afternoon.

The defending champions are available to back at just 1.22 for the win and even that looks like buying money given the current form of Fulham. The Draw can be backed at 7.6, while the Cottagers are available to back at 18.5 if you can see them inflicting a fifth league home loss on United.

If odds of 1.22 aren't your cup of tea then backing Man Utd/Man Utd in the Half Time/Full Time market at around 1.74 will perhaps appeal more. United have scored seven first half goals in their last six victories and will surely come out of the blocks running as they go in search of a big win.

An interesting statistic is that Fulham have played 13 games against teams in the top half of the table; they've lost all 13, scored just seven goals, and conceded an alarming 34.

Over/Under 3.5 Goals

There's two ways you can play the 'Goals' markets if, like me, you think we'll see plenty of chances converted at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon.

If you believe United will run out easy winners in a high-scoring game then perhaps look at the Correct Score market instead (see below), however if you're of the opinion that Fulham might get on the scoresheet themselves and push United closer than expected then backing Over 3.5 Goals at 2.3 might appeal.

Or you could be thinking the complete opposite to me and fancy a low-scoring game. Under 3.5 Goals is available to back at 1.76, while Under 2.5 Goals can be backed at 2.94.

Correct Score

I first looked at this match on Wednesday, and my gut feeling then was that Fulham could be in for a heavy defeat. Nothing has changed my mind since and Any Unquoted Score at 3.4 is the recommended bet.

As I've already mentioned, the Cottagers have a dreadful record against teams in the top half of the table and on top of that they have the worst defensive record in the Premier League, conceding 53 goals in total.

Meulensteen's men have already conceded four in a game against the likes of Everton, Manchester City, and Liverpool this season, while since Christmas they've shipped six against Hull and four against Sunderland.

United have a fantastic record against Fulham, winning their last nine Premier League home games against Sunday's opponents. In addition, Rooney also has a great record against the Cottagers, scoring in five of the last six meetings.

Everything considered - Fulham's form and poor defence, United's record against the Cottagers, Rooney's record, United's need to get back to winning ways etc - I'm finding it impossible not to envisage a very comfortable home win and will wager accordingly.

Of course, with Arsenal to come in midweek there's always a chance that Moyes might instruct his team to take their foot off the gas should they go a few goals up, but that's just a small concern and there's always the Cash Out facility if that looks like being the case.

But I'm happy to ignore that and bank on United scoring at least four goals here.

Recommended Bet

Back Any Unquoted Score @ 3.4
Back Man Utd HT/Man Utd FT @ 1.74

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/manchester-united-v-fulham-champions-set-to-thrash-hapless-cottagers-080214-200.html?

WhiteJC

Youngster Watched By Spanish Giants

There`s no doubting that Fulham Football Club has a talented group of youngsters who, hopefully, will come through the ranks and serve us well.

Unfortunately when you`re bringing talented youngsters through the ranks there is always the possibility that 'bigger` clubs could snatch the off of you.

That appears to be the case with regards to one youngster who has just started his professional career - Patrick Roberts

Newspaper speculation, this morning, infers that Roberts, who only signed his first professional contract last week, is being watched by the Spanish giants of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

It remains to be seen whether Fulham can persuade him to resist such exciting overtures!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349042#ixzz2spZlD6Gz

WhiteJC

Fuchs Heading to Craven Cottage?

Although the transfer window, for now, is well and truly shut, it hasn`t stopped one piece of speculation making the Sunday tabloids.

Although the appointment of Rene Meulensteen appeared to stave off any immediate departure of our Norwegian defender, John Arne Riise, it would appear that he will be heading for the Craven Cottage exit this summer.

To that effect Fulham will, it seems, be looking to bring in the Schalke left-back Christian Fuchs, a 27 year-old Austrian who is a dependable operative.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349043#ixzz2spZy3dzO

WhiteJC

Fulham pray for a miracle at Old Trafford

Here we are ahead of a trip to Old Trafford, where Fulham have not taken a point since a famous victory in October 2003. The West London side take on Manchester United with expectations rock bottom.

The Whites are on a terrible run of form and prop up the division. David Moyes may be feeling the heat at Old Trafford currently and Wayne Rooney has publicly written off any chance the Reds have of retaining the title, but there's still way too much in their locker.

It's only a question of how many United want to score. Will they be happy with two, like Arsenal a month ago? Pressed for a prediction this week on BBC Radio Manchester, I said 4-0 to Moyes' boys. However, I sense Rene Meulensteen may go ultra conservative for this one and look to shore up some confidence by at least not wanting morale further eroded with another cricket score.

Might he be tempted to play John Heitinga among three centre-backs, put Scott Parker deeper and effectively have a five-man screen across midfield with no recognised striker? We have certainly been way too open in our play all season. It is imperative Meulensteen cuts out the buccaneering style and restores defensive discipline. Lose this game perhaps, but the Whites simply must come away showing some semblance of credibility for the relegation fight ahead.

Rightly critical of our pitiful display on Tuesday night in the Cup replay, the most honest of all pundits Steve Claridge felt Fulham were just playing "off the cuff" football, hoping for something to happen, but devoid of any plan or commitment.

Fulham's season has gone from bad to worse, and it is a familiar feeling. For your reading pleasure, I reproduce notes from this blog a year ago following our last visit to Old Trafford. My views at the time, though not universally popular with Fulham folk, proved bang on the money. If only the board had been paying attention then.

"An entirely predictable result at Old Trafford saw Fulham exit the FA Cup in spineless fashion. Just as predictable with the team selected was another pitiful performance from a side devoid of self-belief that has completely lost its way.

"The bald truth is that currently there is no Plan B. Our 25-man first team squad is the weakest it has been since 2008.

"The body language on Saturday said it all. It is not their fault. To a man they look haunted and out of their depth. They have been asked to adopt a style and form of football they simply cannot meet. It is not what they have been brought up on at Fulham and the current players are not good enough."

The copy from that game also noted United's goalkeeper on the day did not have a save to make. Will we be filing something similar postmatch?

Enjoy Sunday if you can. It is still only 22 men and one ball after all... So do you believe in miracles?

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1854?&cc=5739