more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (11/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 11, 2014, 08:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Liverpool: Important update

The following statement has been released this evening by Fulham Football Club.

"Following a number of enquiries regarding how the potential London Underground strike action may affect Wednesday evening's fixture against Liverpool, the club can confirm that it is currently proceeding on the basis that the game will go ahead.

"However, the club has concerns over the potential impact that the strike may have on the ability of its safety staff to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers to ensure that it is able to open the ground and effectively operate it, from the time that the gates are open to the public until the departure of all supporters.

"After consulting with the Local Authority and the Metropolitan Police, it has been decided that if the proposed action is still undetermined at 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday), and the club cannot guarantee enough staff are available to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers, then as a consequence the club would not be able to comply with the terms of its safety certificate and the fixture would be postponed and rescheduled for a future date.

"A further statement will be released at 3pm tomorrow to confirm whether the game will go ahead or be postponed."

A Liverpool Football Club spokesperson said: "We will inform supporters through our official channels as soon as more information becomes available regarding the fixture.

"The safety and well-being of supporters has to be the paramount concern of everyone involved in this process."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/155060-fulham-v-liverpool-important-update?

WhiteJC

Stoke linked with Fulham stopper

Stoke City could move for Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg in the summer if Asmir Begovic leaves the club, it has emerged.

The Dutch international only joined the Cottagers this season, but would be likely to be made available if his side suffer relegation from the Premier League.

SportsDirect News understands that this would spark interest from Stoke, who look unlikely to hold on to their own star player in Begovic, who has caught the eye of a number of bigger clubs with his displays over the last few seasons.

The Bosnian shot-stopper has previously been linked with the likes of Arsenal and Napoli, and will surely attract further interest in the upcoming summer transfer window.

Stekelenburg would be a good replacement in goal for the Potters, having impressed despite Fulham's poor results on the pitch this term.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/40147-stoke-linked-with-fulham-stopper.php#.Uvng8v0dObA

WhiteJC

Vale Extra Time: Jack Grimmer loving the harsh realities of life at Port Vale

Fulham's Jack Grimmer is loving life at Port Vale

FORGET Match of the Day and spectacular draws at Old Trafford, on-loan Fulham defender Jack Grimmer is loving life at Port Vale.

The 20-year-old watched his parent club snatch a 2-2 draw at Manchester United on Sunday but, while Fulham prepare for the visit of Liverpool on Wednesday, all Grimmer's thoughts are on Vale's League One battle at home to Colchester tomorrow night.

After impressing in his initial month's loan, the Scot is delighted the deal has been extended until the end of the season.

He caught Vale's eye playing for Fulham's under-21s, but prefers the larger crowds of first-team football in League One, and the battle for points.

He said: "I got things finally signed this morning before training, a bit later than I would have liked.

There were some issues that I am not involved in and I will happily stay clear of. I am just happy I have finally got it sorted until the end of the season.

"The fans are brilliant here, especially at home, but they were even in high spirits watching us at Gillingham with no roof.

"A big factor in me wanting to stay was getting a taste of playing every week in front of fans and in big games that matter.

"It is well noted that you play under-21s football to develop your own game, but when you come here there is only one thing that matters and that is picking up points.

"There is only one thing I play football for and that is to win. You need the three points at the end of the day because it keeps jobs and puts food on the table.

"The one thing I have loved since I came here is the grind to get results."

Vale hope to beat the weather tomorrow, just as they did on Saturday, although on that occasion Swindon made better use of a boggy pitch to win 3-2 in Burslem.

Grimmer said: "Hopefully the rain stays off and we can get a game quickly following Saturday's disappointment."

Vale are trying to end a run of three defeats to keep their play-off hopes alive. A Vale/Fulham win double this week would be perfect for Grimmer.

He said: "It's no secret Fulham need results and points. They went to Old Trafford and, I don't care how they played, they came away with a point.

"I think it shows the togetherness and trust in the manager they have."

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Vale-Extra-Time-Jack-Grimmer-loving-harsh/story-20598042-detail/story.html#ixzz2t07hWfBj

WhiteJC

Justifiably patronised by the manager of Fulham

HOW TO MAKE EVERYONE CROSS

The Fiver has seen the future. Sadly there were no Little Fivers running around but we always thought that might be the case, so WE'RE DEFINITELY NOT BOTHERED, OK, SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST GET OFF THE FIVER'S BACK AND LET IT GET ON WITH PLAYING WORLD OF WARCRAFT. There were also no jetpacks or a boy who could swim faster than a shark. All things told, the future wasn't much to write home about, but there was one surprising development and Liverpool fans aren't going to like it one bit. Sure, they end this season in fourth place, apparently qualifying for Big Cup for the first time since 2009. But wait! There's a twist! For while Manchester United finish 12th, 27 points behind Liverpool, David Moyes expertly leads them to Big Cup glory, the trophy proudly sitting alongside the Community Shield he won by beating Wigan Athletic. So, United fans, the situation might seem gloomy now, but happy days are on the horizon again. And this definitely had nothing to do with all that mouldy cheese The Fiver ate before bedtime.

Or does it? Maybe it does. Because United really are rather bad at football at the moment, yesterday's limp 2-2 draw with fellow relegation strugglers Fulham the latest embarrassment in an ever-expanding line. Even Darren Bent scored and Sandra Redknapp has more goals than him in the last three years. "Today was as bad as it gets," Moyes wept, though we're not so sure – there are definitely still some depths to plunge into and explore. "How we didn't win, I have no idea." Well, it might just have had something to do with the repetitive, grinding, soulless, predictable, tedious nature of United's attacks, Moyes deciding to chuck the law of averages rather than the kitchen sink at Fulham in order to break them down. They sent in 81 crosses in total, enough to make one wonder if Moyes sold United to Juan Mata by telling him that he just wanted him to hit the non-existent big man whenever he got the ball. This wasn't the Juan Mata we were promised, this was Juan Mata as Stewart Downing, Juan Mata without Andy Carroll.

All of which allowed René Meulensteen to pretend that he had masterminded a point for Fulham, when all they had done was sit on their six-yard box and head the ball clear. "When I saw Manchester United today I thought the game plan was quite straightforward – get it wide, get it in, whether it was from the full-back pushing on or the supporting wide man and midfielder," he self-congratulated. Poor Moyesie. It's really come to something when you can be justifiably patronised by the manager of Fulham. And to make matters worse, Lord Ferg was in the stands again, his presence making it impossible for Moyes to even contemplate winning a match, the presence of Mick Hucknall sitting beside him suggesting that United already have a new manager in mind if this goes on much longer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/10/the-fiver-fulham-manchester-united

WhiteJC

Fuchs - An Update!

Yesterday we mentioned, amongst a plethora of articles, Fulham are hot-on-the-heels of the Austrian international defender, Fuchs.

Well it would appear that Fulham almost signed the defender, who has nearly 60 Austrian caps, in the January transfer window.

However, it would appear that the 27 year-old will be signed this summer for a fee somewhere in the region of £2 million.

We`ll keep you posted if we hear any further news.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349190#ixzz2t08JjDwy

WhiteJC

Memorial Day

The Club will host its annual Memorial Day service at Craven Cottage at 3pm on Sunday February 23.

It provides a timely opportunity to pause and remember our supporters, players, staff members and local residents who have been taken from us. The event is open to all, and we would like to make a point of extending an invitation to anyone who has lost a loved one in the past year.

A short informal memorial service will be led by our Club Chaplain, Reverend Gary Piper, and will be followed by an opportunity to share your own memories with other members of our Fulham Family. A buffet lunch and optional stadium tour completes the day.

Please contact our Supporter Relations team, on 0843 208 1222 (option 4), or by emailing [email protected], for further information, or to be added to our guest list.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/10/memorial-day?

WhiteJC

Fulham Build Up: Meulensteen Building a Base, Holtby Looking for Survival and Bent Kicks On

That's a happy man

I've never been a person big on schadenfreude, but I have to admit that seeing Fulham heap even more pressure on Manchester United with a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford on Sunday was a beautiful thing.
On the back of Liverpool's 5-1 victory over then league leaders Arsenal, you'd think the weekend couldn't get much better, but then there was Sir Alex Ferguson's reaction from the stands after a late Darren Bent equalizer snatched an unlikely point for the Cottagers. Although the London side remain rooted to the bottom of the table, a mere three points adrift of safety, the morale boost that comes with getting a result at Old Trafford will serve them well in the weeks to come – though hopefully not against Liverpool on Wednesday.

With the Manchester side on a serious down slope, Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen – an integral part of the Old Trafford set-up under former manager Sir Alex Ferguson – saw an opportunity to keep last season's champions at bay. "When I saw Manchester United today I thought the game plan was quite straightforward – get it wide, get it in," he mused following the 2-2 draw. "If you're well organised and the goalkeeper is in good positions to come and collect the ball it can be easy." Words like "easy" and "straightforward" are sure to be missing from his vocabulary when Liverpool come knocking on Wednesday.

"We have got a massive one ahead of us. But hopefully this gives us a good base to kick on," said Meulensteen ahead of the midweek match with the Reds. "That's why these players want to play in the Premier League – for these sort of games." Relegation has become a real possibility for the London outfit with only 20-points accumulated to date, but the Dutchman will be able to take heart from the dogged determination his players showed on Sunday – especially on-loan Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Lewis Holtby.

The German born Everton fan – who has shown flashes of brilliance since moving to Craven Cottage for the remainder of the season – is relishing the opportunity to meet Liverpool and build on his good performance against United. "I am definitely looking forward to Wednesday, everyone is" said the 23-year old. "We are going to need the same focus because a team like Liverpool have the confidence to destroy you, as we saw against Arsenal." A 20-minute barrage in the opening exchanges saw Brendan Rodgers side put four goals past the Gunners, leaving them shellshocked and in disarray. Despite the impressive fire power on display, Holtby believes that the Cottagers will be able to cope with the in-form Reds. "We did our jobs against Manchester United though, and we have the confidence to survive against Liverpool too."

With the hosts leading 2-1 deep into injury time, Darren Bent headed home a Kieran Richardson shot to secure the points for Fulham – something he believes will help spur his side on. "It's a massive point, I'm speechless really" said the former Aston Villa man in the wake of scoring the equalizer. "We put a lot of effort in and rode our luck but came away with a point. It was hard. It's never easy coming here so hopefully we can kick on now for the rest of the season." There's a long, hard road ahead for Fulham and meeting Liverpool on Wednesday may not been the best side for them to come up against when they're looking to build their confidence.

Not that you'll get any arguments from the travelling Kop. Despite their heroics at Old Trafford, the Cottagers look ripe for the picking; hopefully we'll be able to put our away day blues behind us and show United how to take out a team that's propping up the table. You know, just so they can see how it's supposed to be done.

-Steven

Be sure to pop in before the trip to Craven Cottage for a full match preview and the confirmed starting line-ups ahead of Wednesday's clash with Fulham.

http://paisleygates.com/?p=15649

WhiteJC

Burn Just Loved It!

During the siege of Old Trafford whereby Manchester United launched an aerial assault like no other into our box, one man stood head and shoulders above everyone else.

Twenty-one year old Dan Burn, recalled from a loan spell with Birmingham City recently, was a colossus at the heart of the defence managing to get his head to a huge 22 clearances as the Fulham rear-guard held firm.

Speaking about the onslaught afterwards, Burn had a few words for the media, remarking,

'We knew that was going to happen and I was happy for them to play like that.'

It`s just a crying shame we succumbed to those two goals in two minutes late on, otherwise we`d be celebrating a great, and hugely unexpected, win.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349198#ixzz2t09GzQqj

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey: USA looks forward to 'Group of Death' challenge

Clint Dempsey, 30, is acknowledged as one of the greatest field players produced by U.S. soccer and is in line to play in his third World Cup this June in Brazil. After playing in college at Furman, he began his professional career in 2004 with the New England Revolution and rapidly ascended to a position on the U.S. national team, which he joined for the 2006 World Cup in Germany and scored a goal in the team's final group game, against Ghana.

Later that year he was transferred to Fulham in the Barclays English Premier League and gradually became a regular for the club – he scored the goal against Liverpool in spring 2007 that prevented the team from being relegated – and eventually a star. His performances in the 2010 Europa League helped Fulham reach the final of that competition, and in 2012 he scored 23 goals in all competitions, including an American-record 17 in the Premier League. He transferred to Tottenham Hotspur and produced 12 goals in one season with Spurs, then was offered the opportunity to return to MLS and the Seattle Sounders for a contract that reportedly will pay him $8 million annually over the next three years.

With the U.S. national team in 2013, Dempsey scored six goals in 10 appearances to bring his career total to 36, second all-time behind teammate Landon Donovan. As part of a promotional campaign for Degree antiperspirant, Dempsey spoke with Sporting News by telephone from London, where he is completing a two-month loan to Fulham:

Q: When you came back to MLS in August, you had a stipulation in your contract to accept a loan spell in this winter window. Once you finished the Seattle season, what was the thought process on whether and where you would spend this time? And what did you hope to get out of it?

Dempsey: I wanted to go on loan during this window because I felt like I had a good amount of time off in the summer before starting the preseason with Tottenham, and during that preseason I ended up going back to MLS later on in their season. With not many games left, I ended up picking up an injury, and that kept me out for about three weeks.

I felt like I already had kind of a break. And then also when I was with the national team I had another injury with my calf, and I was out three to four weeks. So I felt like I'd had my time off. I wanted to get back to playing and get my body right because it seemed like I was breaking down. I don't know if it was from all the travel; I don't know if it was adjusting back to playing on turf again, but I just wanted to get my body right.

I wanted to come back to playing in Europe, and I think England is one of the best leagues in the world. I wanted to come back and be part of playing here and being around that competition and trying to get my body right again going into the World Cup year.

But it has been difficult here because in the month of January results haven't gone our way. I only have one month left on loan here and hopefully in that time can make more of a difference. But I'm feeling more fit, happy with the minutes and the games. It's just about producing more and being more effective as far as creating goal-scoring opportunities and scoring goals myself.

Q: Was it a little odd walking back into Craven Cottage after having left for Tottenham a year ago, then back to the States – now you're back to where the whole cycle started?

Dempsey: Yeah, as far as where my whole journey in Europe started. It's always kind of felt like home to me, London, and I did spend a lot of years at Fulham: 5½. Coming back here, it's kind of come full-circle. I'm actually staying in the first flat that I actually stayed in when I came over here the first time.

It's a great club. They were in a difficult situation when it was decided I was going to come on loan – being toward the bottom of the table. And I wanted to come and try to help out as much as I could.

Q: Fulham has had its troubles, and so has Sunderland, where your national teammate Jozy Altidore is struggling in front of goal. Do you have any close-up view, anything you're seeing or hearing that explains what he's doing wrong?

Dempsey: That's the process of being over here. It's a difficult league. You've got to figure out the system of play, how you can make an impact and fight for a spot and fight to make a difference. That's what I did for the 5½ years I was here and I was happy to be a part of helping Fulham avoid relegation in my first season I was here, and my first goal, getting the goal that kept them up. But also being a part of helping the team get the highest finish they've had in the Premier League, and also getting to the Europa League final. So there were some great things done here.

And also I'm happy with what was accomplished at Tottenham: getting 72 points in the season, which is one of the highest point totals they've had, just missing out on Champions League.

That's what it is. It's a grind. No matter where you're playing – in MLS or playing in Europe, you always have to keep working, make sure that you have a good season and you want to have a career. So you just have to figure out the new systems wherever you are and how you can impact games. That's always going to be a little tricky.

Q: Now that you're back in Europe after having spent a couple of months in MLS, are you feeling more or less secure about your decision to come back to the States to play?

Dempsey: I didn't make the decision lightly. There was a lot of thought that went into it. For me, I'd already been over here six years, something like that. I've got kids, and I knew I wanted to raise my kids in the States. After I was done playing, whenever that time was going to be, I was going to go back to the States and I was going to raise my kids.

With Tottenham, I only had one year guaranteed with a one-year option, and MLS came in, said they would move mountains to get me back. And they made me an offer I couldn't refuse to go back and continue the growth of the game in the States, to raise my kids in the States, be closer to my family. It's the league that gave me the start, to go pro in the first place – and they gave me a 3½-year deal. I have no regrets, I'm happy with the decisions I've made in my career. They've made me who I am.

Q: I've suggested in a column that what's been announced as your MLS salary and what's been announced as Michael Bradley's in his transfer back could convince more talented young athletes there's real money in soccer and to pursue that sport if it suits them. Do you see your returns as maybe having that impact?

Dempsey: Yeah, I think it is good that players from America, that spent time in the league, are getting good deals. Because growing up, it seemed like international players – foreign players, I should say – were getting the better deals. With more American players getting good deals in the domestic league, it's good for it. And like you say, kids can see it as an opportunity to do something that they love and take care of their family in a good way.

I think still kids will figure out what they want to do: whether they want to stay in MLS or go to Europe. You've got to follow what you want to do. That's something I've always done. I followed my own path, didn't follow anybody else's lead. I just wanted to do my own thing, make the most of where I went. And I'm happy with the career I've had so far.

Q: Watching the World Cup draw a couple of months back, a lot of Americans were taken aback to see the U.S. played in the "Group of Death." What was your reaction? What are your thoughts about what the U.S. can accomplish this summer?

Dempsey: Yeah, I think it's a difficult group. My initial thought was like what you said: It was "Wow." But at the same time, when you're playing in the World Cup, you're playing against the best teams in the world. If you want to go far in that competition, you're going to have to play against good teams.

It's exciting. You get an opportunity to play against Germany, Portugal and play against Ghana again. We're looking forward to the challenge. We're coming off one of our most successful seasons, 2013, and hopefully we can carry that forward in 2014. I think if we play our best ball we have the quality that we can get out of the group.

Q: You scored a goal against Ghana in 2006 and have played them twice now in the World Cup. What are your thoughts now about what you have to do as a team to get this year's Cup started off right?

Dempsey: That was a dream come true to score the goal against Ghana in the World Cup. It's what I dreamed about as a kid, being able to play in the World Cup and score a goal. And the other game we had, being able to be a part of causing the goal, getting fouled for the penalty that led to us to drawing the game up, allowed us to go into overtime – yeah, there were some good memories, but also we ended up losing those games. Hopefully this third time, we'll end up getting a little bit of luck. I think we're due.

Q: There were a lot of core national team players that were in this year's January camp and the friendly against South Korea. Is that an indication that MLS is continuing to advance?

Dempsey: There've always been players from MLS that have done well and gotten into the national side and have played in World Cups. I don't see that changing. I think the most important thing that you're playing good soccer, that you're playing at a high level, that you're confident and you're producing consistently.

That allows you to get into the national team, and doing well on that stage allows you to keep growing and progressing. Whether you're in the domestic league or whether you're in Europe or wherever you may be, the most important thing is playing consistently and playing well and confident. And yes, the league had continued to grow and produce good talent, and that's promising.

Q: What can you tell us about the campaign you're working on?

Dempsey: I'm with the Degree campaign, Degree deodorant, and the new product Motionsense technology – where the more you move the more it protects you. But the cool thing about it is they're involved in soccer. If you go to http://www.degreesoccer.com/ fans can have a chance to win a trip to Brazil and join us down there for the World Cup.

It's good to be with a company that is pushing the game in the States and getting behind soccer. So I'm excited.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2014-02-10/clint-dempsey-world-cup-2014-fulham-seattle-sounders-transfer?

WhiteJC

A reminder that Lewis Holtby is great

Michael Regan
Tottenham Hotspur loaned Lewis Holtby instead of selling him. That was a good decision.

During the January transfer window, there were all kinds of rumors that Tottenham Hotspur were going to sell Lewis Holtby. Borussia Dortmund apparently declined to pay €6m and Schalke presumably could have got him for the same price if he truly was offered to Dortmund for that amount. A couple of reports stated that his move to Fulham would be permanent, not a loan.

Eventually, Holtby was sent on loan. That's probably a good thing. He gave everyone a reminder of the skill he has with the ball during Fulham's 2-2 draw with Manchester United on Sunday. Here's his assist on Steve Sidwell's goal.

It's worth noting that Holtby played large portions of this game on the left wing, a position he hasn't played much for Spurs, but that he did play quite a bit of in the Bundesliga. He likes to come deep to find the ball and he's very adept at playing long diagonals, two skills that were useful for his role in this game.

Lewis is still awesome. I'm hoping he comes back and finds a role next year.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/2/10/5398432/lewis-holtby-fulham-manchester-united?

WhiteJC

Can this Fulham striker help to keep his side up?

Darren Bent's late leveller in the 2-2 draw at Manchester United could act as a springboard for an upturn in fortunes for both player and club.

Harry Redknapp once famously described a Darren Bent miss as one his "missus could have scored" during the striker's ill-fated spell at Tottenham.

His blunder, which came in the final minute of a frustrating 1-1 draw at home to Portsmouth, effectively brought down the curtains on his time at White Hart Lane so it was fitting that he was jolly on the spot from similarly close range yesterday to steal a point for his Fulham side in a pulsating 2-2 stalemate at Manchester United.

It was his first goal since October for the bottom-of-the-table Cottagers and, as such, was celebrated wildly by a man who has played second fiddle throughout his time at the club and even experienced the humiliation of being left on the bench as boss Rene Meulensteen opted for relative unknown Muamer Tankovic for the trip to Old Trafford.

A visit to David Moyes' side is not quite as daunting as it perhaps once was but in preferring the Swede, it underlined the standing of Bent in the Dutchman's thoughts at present.

The 30-year-old emerged for the second half to replace Tankovic, who offered precious little threat and, in truth, so did Bent but that perhaps owed to the fact his side defended so deep and allowed United onto them, inevitably resulting in goals from Robin Van Persie and Michael Carrick to cancel out Steve Sidwell's shock opener.

Fulham squandered the chance to make it two just before the interval as Kieran Richardson blazed over but Bent would have been forgiven for thinking he could have made a more telling contribution, he soon would.

His only chance of the game was one he refused to snatch at, memories of Redknapp's outburst will have been pulsing through his veins as he stooped to head home the most dramatic of equalisers when Richardson's shot was parried by De Gea.

But has a man who has most commonly been associated with playing a poacher type than anything else got enough goals in him to help stave off the threat of relegation.

Given he has scored a paltry three goals all season, with his equaliser at Old Trafford his only on the road, Fulham certainly need more from a striker who is more than capable despite his advancing years.

The club-record signing of Konstantinos Mitroglou presents another obstacle to his path to the first team but now is the time to stake a claim, particularly considering the Greek is still feeling his way to full fitness.

The stats make for grim reading, however. Bent has only failed to feature in six of Fulham's 25 games this season yet has posted just 0.79 attempts per game this season, with an alarming 0.47 of those finding the target.

More concerning for increasingly worried Fulham fans is his ability to squander the sort of gilt-edged chances that do come his way, despite them evidently being few and far between.

0.32 of big chances he gets, he misses which becomes all the more intriguing given it represents nigh-on 40% of the openings that come his way.

The majority of his opportunities - 0.74 - are from open play, with 0.11 one-on-ones and precisely nothing from set pieces meaning there is pressure on the Cottagers' new creator-in-chief Lewis Holtby to provide the sort of service he displayed for Sidwell's goal at the weekend.

Bent must take this opportunity to save his stock and Fulham's status as a Premier League club while he's at it.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/10/tmb-can-this-fulham-striker-help-to-keep-his-side-up/?

WhiteJC

Tube strike puts Fulham game against Liverpool in doubt

Fulham have announced that Wednesday's Premier League game against Liverpool at Craven Cottage could be postponed because of the proposed London Underground strike.

The club has concerns over the potential impact that the strike may have on the ability of its safety staff to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers to comply with the terms of its safety certificate.

Fulham have held talks with the Local Authority and the Metropolitan Police and have decided that they will make a final decision at 3pm on Tuesday.

A statement on the club's website said: "Following a number of enquiries regarding how the potential London Underground strike action may affect Wednesday evening's fixture against Liverpool, the Club can confirm that it is currently proceeding on the basis that the game will go ahead.

"However, the Club has concerns over the potential impact that the strike may have on the ability of its safety staff to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers to ensure that it is able to open the ground and effectively operate it, from the time that the gates are open to the public until the departure of all supporters.

"After consulting with the Local Authority and the Metropolitan Police, it has been decided that if the proposed action is still undetermined at 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday), and the Club cannot guarantee enough staff are available to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers, then as a consequence the Club would not be able to comply with the terms of its safety certificate and the fixture would be postponed and rescheduled for a future date.

"A further statement will be released at 3pm on Tuesday to confirm whether the game will go ahead or be postponed."

Tube staff are mounting a 48-hour strike over redundancies for the second week running.

Arsenal have confirmed they expect their match with Manchester United on Wednesday to go ahead as planned but have offered travel advice on their official website, encouraging fans to use rail services and walk to and from the Emirates .

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9160600/?

WhiteJC

Lewis Holtby focused on Fulham

Lewis Holtby: Has impressed with Fulham

Lewis Holtby insists he is not thinking about his future, and instead is concentrating on helping Fulham stay up.

The on-loan Tottenham midfielder has impressed for the Cottagers since his deadline day switch to Craven Cottage.

It remains to be seen if Holtby - who joined Spurs in January 2013 - has a long-term future at White Hart Lane.

But the German star insists he is only thinking about Fulham until the end of the season.

"First of all I just think about Fulham and I just want to stay up," he told GetWestLondon.

"I want to have a really good 13 games left and I want to show what I can do.

"On Sunday with the assist [for Steve Sidwell's opener at Old Trafford]. I am very happy to show the Premier League what my abilities are and I am really happy that I am connecting.

"I am looking forward to the next games."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9160616?

WhiteJC

How many managers does Meulensteen need?

Rene Meulensteen admitted he received advice from Sir Alex Ferguson prior to Fulham's surprise 2-2 draw at Manchester United, but the Dutchman's return to Old Trafford – where he served as a coach under Ferguson – indicated the Cottagers boss can be his own man.

Admittedly defending from the front wasn't the most original plan given David Moyes' men delivered more crossing than an Isle of Wight ferry firm, while Nemanja Vidic began his Red Devils retirement three months early for Darren Bent's dramatic equalizer.

But the resolute way in which Fulham withheld United's pressure, epitomised by Maarten Stekelenburg's saves and the clearances of Dan Burn, was a stark contrast to the FA Cup surrender against Sheffield United and gives them renewed hope of Premier League survival.

Even so, four consecutive defeats before their night at the Theatre of Dreams means the point gained on Sunday still leaves the West London club holding the wooden spoon; four points and 18 goals worse off than fourth-bottom Sunderland.

That nightmare scenario could get worse considering free scoring Liverpool and local thoroughbreds Chelsea are the next visitors to Craven Cottage, even if those two ties are either side of a winnable match with West Bromwich Albion.

Leadership

However, to succeed at the Hawthorns and against other relegation rivals, Meulensteen must continue to show the leadership he did at Old Trafford, for the Whites could easily be sponsored by Championship Manager.

After taking over from Martin Jol, the 49-year-old was joined by first team technical director Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins as assistant head coach.

Curbishley spent 15 years in charge of Charlton Athletic followed by a two-year spell as West Ham United boss and, during his time as a television pundit, never gave the impression of wanting the back seat, director of football role he currently occupies.

Wilkins, despite working as a number two since stints as Queens Park Rangers and Fulham boss in the 1990s, isn't low-profile either judging by frequent appearances across the media and in 2012 was linked – via the Daily Mail – with the West Brom job given to Steve Clarke.

Surround

Being surrounded by other bosses isn't new. Harry Redknapp's backroom team at QPR includes former managers Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan, while ex-England coach Steve McClaren also worked under the 66-year-old at Loftus Road.

Yet Redknapp is a dominant personality able to present himself as the man in charge; the same cannot be said of Meulensteen after his long career behind the scenes at Manchester United plus aborted attempts at management with Brondby and Anzhi.

If the late Prime Minister Edward Heath once asked "who governs Britain?" then, when players see Wilkins talking in Meulensteen's ear or Curbishley watching from the stands in a club tracksuit, they could be forgiven for asking "who governs Fulham?"

It was a similar situation when the current manager was brought in on November 13th to assist Jol and got given the "head coach" title often used overseas (and increasingly in English football) to describe the man in control.

Impression

Fulham's squad were therefore given the impression Jol was on borrowed time and not worth listening to – the team promptly lost their next three matches to seal the Dutchman's fate.

After two more managers were recruited to assist Jol's successor there were crucial wins over Norwich City and West Ham as well as the draw at United, but the other five league fixtures since Christmas Eve ended in defeat.

That suggests a lack of incentive to perform for Meulensteen, with the players knowing Curbishley or Wilkins are both plausible replacements; especially the former who kept Charlton afloat for years and saved the Hammers from demotion in 2007.

The present manager already showed his ruthless streak by fielding a younger line-up at Old Trafford and removing luxury items like Dimitar Berbatov and Adel Taarabt, but that needs to continue if there aren't to be more chiefs than Indians at the Cottage.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/many-managers-meulensteen-need/85270/?

WhiteJC

Grimmer signs

Defender finally puts pen to paper on extended deal.

Jack Grimmer put pen to paper this morning on the deal to keep him here after his parent club Fulham gave permission for Vale to keep him until the end of the season.

It was announced before Saturday's home game against Swindon Town that a deal with the Premier League outfit had been agreed, but it wasn't finalised until earlier today.

The young defender has impressed in his short time here at Vale Park and he is looking forward to extending his stay and improving his game at the same time.

He said: "I got things finally signed this morning before training. It was a bit later than I would have liked because there were some issued I was not involved in and I will happily stay clear of, but I am just happy it is finally sorted until the end of the season.

"I have got plenty of game time since I came here, but it is not just the game time that has been beneficial to me, it is being around the players that I am with and the manager himself.

"Everything that they tell you is always going to improve your game, it is never going to set you back in any way, but especially playing in the games and getting a good run under my belt is what I came here to do and I am thankful that the manager has given me the chance.

Read more at http://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/article/20140210-grimmer-signs-1351574.aspx?#W8q4Py8xBdhXliHk.99

WhiteJC

Manchester United's 'Conference-style' game leaves players at a loss to explain poor recent performances
Fulham defender Dan Burn voices surprise at United tactics while Michael Carrick talks of 'setback after setback'.

Manchester United have been accused of deploying Conference-style football against Fulham during the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford that forced midfielder Michael Carrick to claim the club are suffering "setback after setback".

With defender Phil Jones waiting to discover whether he faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines because of a hip injury suffered in training last week, United go into Wednesday's Premier League clash with Arsenal at the Emirates lurching into crisis having fallen nine points adrift of Champions League qualification.

Out of both domestic cups and with the Champions League now offering United their only hope of a trophy this season, manager David Moyes will take his squad to Dubai following the Arsenal game for a training break aimed at re-energising his players for a late-season assault on the top four.

But with United having failed to defeat Fulham despite delivering 81 crosses into the penalty area on Sunday, Moyes's tactical approach, dismissed as "straightforward" and amounting to no more than "get it wide, get it in", by Fulham manager René Meulensteen, has now been derided as similar to the football played in the Conference.

"I was just saying to the lads that I've never headed that many balls since the Conference," said Fulham defender Dan Burn, who played at that level with Darlington

"But at the end of the day I'm happy for them to play like that. We knew that was going to happen.

"Once we were dropping further back, we were going to get more compact and make them play around us because we thought we had the strength in numbers.
"I'm 6ft 7in. It helps when dealing with them sort of balls. They had plenty of crosses, loads of chances and stuff but the second goal was quite lucky. I always felt we had something left.

"It's the first time I've played against Man U. It's still a massive club and with the players they've got there, they know that they should be doing better."

While Burn later took to Fulham's official website to insist he had not intended to be "disrespectful" towards United, his observations echoed those of Meulensteen, Sir Alex Ferguson's former assistant at Old Trafford.

United's inability to beat opponents they would ordinarily be expected to overcome – they have lost to Stoke and drawn at home against Fulham and Sunderland in the last month – has contributed to the downbeat atmosphere enveloping the club.

And Carrick admits that the players are at a loss as to why results and performances have been so disappointing in recent weeks.

"I can't really explain how we have ended up with that result," Carrick said. "We thought it was going to turn. We have thought that all season, we still believe it will and we still believe results will come for us. But it seems like setback after setback at the moment.

"We will pick ourselves up because we have a big game on Wednesday now. The only way to deal with it is to move on.

"There are a lot of positives to take from the Fulham game, it is just tough to explain how we have not won it."

With recent signing Juan Mata claiming Fulham's injury-time equaliser was "cruel" on United, Carrick insisted that Moyes's players are suffering more than anybody as a result of the team's slump.

"Of course the players care," Carrick said. "It is the pride we have in ourselves and each other.

"No one wants to go through a spell when people are questioning you and things are going wrong, but we have had enough success over the years that we retain a belief in ourselves even when things are not going so well.

"It isn't for the want of trying. It is not a case of not caring. We care just as much, if not more, than anybody else. We have had success over the years and it comes easy when you have success, but you have to deal with the down times as well.
"But we will pick ourselves up. That is the business we are in."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10629343/Manchester-Uniteds-Conference-style-game-leaves-players-at-a-loss-to-explain-poor-recent-performances.html

WhiteJC

Time almost up for Clint Dempsey to make Fulham impact

From a personal, bigger picture perspective, Clint Dempsey's loan to Fulham may turn out to be just what the doctor ordered.

He will come into camp for Seattle Sounders fit, presumably sharp and ready to make the impact that he failed to make as a celebrated, prodigal son a year ago. Clearly, as MLS matters go, Dempsey needs to make some hay, or this thing will be a buffet portion of "bust."

Let's assume for now the guy is going to score some goals, set up a few more, and fulfill some of those big expectations.

But the man surely would have liked to have done a little more during his two-month stay back at Craven Cottage, a place near and dear to the Deuce heart. Dempsey talked recently about the ins and out, ups and downs of this thing recently.

The only way all this could be bad personally for the Texas native: if his time in West London comes and goes without helping Fulham escape the relegation mire, it could provide more ammunition to the doubters who said all along his move back into MLS was a flawed strategy. (It wasn't; a lot of things go into these choices, as we've talked about before.)

The raw numbers so far from his Fulham stay look like this:

5 starts (all but on in Premier League)
1 appearance off the bench
0 goals
There is still time to turn this loaner frown upside down – but not much. He has two matches remaining in which to make an impact, to do something that would potentially launch an escape run for the small budget side that has managed to remain up recently, never mind the stacked odds of doing so over a long run.

Dempsey has played, more or less, every other match for Rene Meulensteen. As he didn't make the lineup in Saturday's helpful, perhaps even historic draw at Manchester United, look for Dempsey to feature Wednesday as Liverpool visits West London. (There's a mid-week round of Premier League matches ... ye fantasy players have been warned.)

After that, a match at West Brom is it. Then it's back to the United States for the last few days of preseason work with Seattle.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/time-almost-up-for-clint-dempsey-to-make-fulham-impact/?

WhiteJC

Henderson To Face Fulham With Broken Wrist

Quietly and without any fanfare, Jordan Henderson played through the Arsenal match with a broken wrist, but it shouldn't prevent him from facing off against Fulham midweek.

Jordan Henderson is not a complainer. Jordan Henderson has certainly had good reason to complain over the years — saddled with a transfer fee that was most certainly not his fault, consistently played out of position, nearly sold to the now relegation-bound Fulham — but through all this the young Englishman has doubled down his efforts and kept any negativity to himself.

So it's unsurprising to learn that in Sunday's demolishing of Arsenal, the midfielder managed to break his wrist, according to the Mirror. There were no details as to how the injury was sustained — some might have expected an injury of another sort when Henderson went over the boards and into the camera bay at the Kop end — but suffice it to say the fact that he wasn't substituted to tend to said injury is characteristic of Henderson playing through things that just haven't gone his way.

This isn't to say players should always play through the pain or hide injuries from their managers, of course, just that Henderson doesn't seem to sweat the things beyond his control. He's been given a cast to wear on Wednesday should the match against Fulham go ahead as scheduled, and so any potential midfield crisis for Liverpool looks to be averted.

With two years left on his contract and playing an integral part for his club, Henderson has been the subject of rumours regarding a contract extension. That the player has been unequivocal about wanting to achieve things at Anfield the entire time he's been on Merseyside should make an extension likely for his part, and his manager Brendan Rodgers thinks Henderson's future is red.

"He will certainly be one, the way he is working, who we would want to secure his services," Rodgers said. "I'm sure it is in the interests of the club to tie him down."

There's still lots of time to negotiate and neither Henderson nor the club seem to be in any great hurry to lock something down. In a World Cup year a great tournament can bring on new suitors for a successful player, and if Henderson's form gives Roy Hodgson no choice but to select him for the squad bound for Brazil, securing Henderson's signature sooner rather than later would go a long way to solidifying one piece of Liverpool's midfield before the summer.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2014/2/11/5399376/henderson-to-face-fulham-with-broken-wrist?

WhiteJC

Jordan Henderson wary of a "fighting" Fulham side

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has warned his teammates to be wary of a "fighting" Fulham side when the Reds visit Craven Cottage on Wednesday.

Brendan Rodgers's team hammered Arsenal 5-1 on Saturday, and the England international wants to see his teammates continue their good form in London.

Henderson told the club's official website: "Fulham are next and it will be a very difficult game. They are fighting, so I'm sure that it will be very difficult. But we've got to take this performance and this confidence down to Craven Cottage and hopefully we can do that.

"It was a fantastic performance, especially against Arsenal, who were top of the league. I'm sure they would have wanted to win the game. But our performance was fantastic and it was one of the best so far.

"When we're on it and we're playing really well, I think we can beat anyone, I've said that before. So we've got to make sure that we're consistent with that and we do that every single week and you never know where we can finish."

The Reds are currently fourth in the Premier League.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/henderson-wary-of-a-fighting-fulham-side_136964.html

WhiteJC

After thumping Arsenal, Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers sets sights on Fulham
Brendan Rodgers says that every single game is important for Liverpool despite the reputation of the opposition and their standings in the English Premier League table.

Liverpool: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has challenged his players to match the intensity they showed against Arsenal when they travel to bottom of the Premier League Fulham on Wednesday.

The Reds are on course to end their five-season exile from the top four and the Champions League and underlined their claim on fourth place with a 5-1 win over then leaders Arsenal at the weekend. (Also read: Rodgers cools title talk after Liverpool destroy Arsenal)

Southampton and Manchester United are the only sides presently in the top-half of the table that Liverpool, now unbeaten in eight matches, still have to visit in the league this season.

But Rodgers believes the Cottagers will provide a stern test after drawing 2-2 at Manchester United on Sunday.

"Every game is critical for us whether it's a top team or a team at the bottom. Fulham showed against Manchester United that they've got some very good players, they showed great resilience in the game and took the lead.

"There are some brilliant professionals there and Rene (Meulensteen) will look to introduce one or two younger players.

"It will be a difficult game and away from home in the Premier League is difficult but we have a belief and a confidence in our play and hopefully we can take that into Wednesday's game and get another good three points," the Northern Irishman added.

Liverpool moved within six points of the top of the Premier League with Saturday's win but Rodgers maintains that finishing in the top four is his priority for a club that has not won the league title since 1990.

"The momentum has been building and building, but I just think it's unprecedented to go from being where we were last year in seventh position (to first).

"I'm very much full of optimism for this football club and the development of the team, but I also have to be realistic as well and I think it (winning the title) is something that might be too much for us this season."

Defender Glen Johnson is still out with an ankle injury and Daniel Agger, Mamdou Sakho, Lucas and Jose Enrique are also sidelined.

Meanwhile Fulham centre-back Dan Burn believes the draw with United can provide a springboard for Fulham as they attempt to climb out of the bottom three.

"It's going to be really tough on Wednesday night. Liverpool are flying at the moment and that victory against Arsenal on Saturday was immense for them. But the point at Old Trafford felt like a win to us.

"I thought we showed great character to come back and getting a point felt like a win."

For Lewis Holtby, Fulham's relegation battle also presents an opportunity for the midfielder to demonstrate he is good enough to play in the Premier League after being allowed to leave Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the transfer window.

Holtby has already made an impact at his new club, setting up Steve Sidwell for the Cottagers' opening goal at Old Trafford.

"First of all, I'm just thinking about Fulham and I just want to stay up. I want to have a really good 13 games that are left this season and I want to show what I can do," said Holtby.

Wednesday's fixture has been called into doubt by threatened industrial action on the London Underground which Fulham said left them concerned about whether its safetry staff could get to their Craven Cottage ground in west London in time.

Fulham said they would announce at 1500GMT Tuesday whether or not the match would be postponed.

http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/220755-after-thumping-arsenal-liverpools-brendan-rodgers-sets-sights-on-fulham