watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lots of huff & puff but no quality !

Started by howitis, February 12, 2014, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Can't fault the effort but the quality on the ball is severely lacking. Unable to retain any meaningful possession to alleviate the pressure and no real attacking threat.

You can't stay in the Premiership on effort alone.

Positives :-

Holtby - great player, superb technique. Was shattered the last 30 mins and had nobody on his wavelength.

Richardson - best game in a Fulham shirt
Heitinger - assured

Transfer activity incompetence over the last 2 years will probably see us relegated. Watching Riise tonight was proof in itself.

Will keep supporting and hoping that there is better to come.

itombomb

There is actually some truth to that.

Mitroglou being good is vital, as is getting more out of one of the wingers. We can play one to have a more defensive/counter role, not both. Given Richardson's pace as well as need to protect Riise a bit more, that means we need to get more out of the right winger.

Humbled

Quote from: itombomb on February 12, 2014, 10:34:11 PM
There is actually some truth to that.

Mitroglou being good is vital, as is getting more out of one of the wingers. We can play one to have a more defensive/counter role, not both. Given Richardson's pace as well as need to protect Riise a bit more, that means we need to get more out of the right winger.

Thought 1st half going forward we were very good. Bent and Holtby linked up very very well. We need to stop trying to over do it in defence. Ample times we lost the ball trying to pass it around the back 4.

millsy

Agree with the initial post. Great effort but not sufficient quality to retain possession and carry the ball upfield. The ball kept coming back all evening. Burn was great again but the midfielders should be taking the ball from him, rather than giving him the responsibility for setting up the play from deep midfield.

Oh for a target man! Let's hope the new man is it. Even if he is, it may be too late to get enough goals and wins.

callumc513

Holtby and Richardson seem to have a great understanding on the counter.

Humbled

Quote from: callumc513 on February 12, 2014, 11:59:19 PM

Agreed. Forgot Richardson.
Richardson, Bent and Holtby linked up well 1st half.
A lot of holding  the ball up and bringing each other into play. Was good to watch but always knew deep down 1 ahead wouldn't be enough.
The new lads bring some added quality we needed.

The Rock

I was really impressed with our performance. We have spent 25m on players in the last 4 years and L'pool has spent 10x that and paid twice that for Andy Carroll.

We need to start spending something next year if our Yank owner is interested in his championship team getting promoted.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: howitis on February 12, 2014, 10:27:17 PM
Can't fault the effort but the quality on the ball is severely lacking. Unable to retain any meaningful possession to alleviate the pressure and no real attacking threat.

Holtby - great player, superb technique. Was shattered the last 30 mins and had nobody on his wavelength.

Heitinger - assured

Transfer activity incompetence over the last 2 years will probably see us relegated. Watching Riise tonight was proof in itself.

Do give it a rest,  were you even at the game
(Rhetorical question there )

Pluto

Quote from: callumc513 on February 12, 2014, 11:59:19 PM

I thought the same! Great to see them already working well together.

Peabody

If he had been at the game, he would have seen how disappointed our players were, particularly Sascha who was devastated.  Great effort by our team

Putney

For people who went, how did Tunnicliffe play? I had a bad stream and didn't notice him all game.

itombomb

Quote from: Putney on February 13, 2014, 12:29:38 AM
For people who went, how did Tunnicliffe play? I had a bad stream and didn't notice him all game.
He's a worker, covered loads of ground and never switched off.

But he definitely isn't an actual winger, and not sure he's that talented.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: itombomb on February 13, 2014, 12:35:01 AM
He's a worker, covered loads of ground and never switched off.

But he definitely isn't an actual winger, and not sure he's that talented.

He's definitely not a winger, he's a more central midfielder doing a job on the wing because he is young, pacey and full of energy.

He is also definitely talented - often regarded as more talented that Pogba and Morrison when coming out of the United academy but not really having much of a chance at first team level.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

What the other said, also we thought the big occasion  got to him in the 2nd half  (he got a bit star struck with Swarez ) he was excellent but probably would have been subbed but for Stekelenburg going off ....and Rene was saving a sub ???

HatterDon

Well, he got our first shot on goal 35 seconds in, and he kept attacks going from time to time. When Jol was in charge I used to keep track of how long it took one of our players to actually touch the ball in the opponent's penalty area. Generally it was around 25-30 minutes in -- even at home. I"m liking the change.

Of course, if he doesn't score every time he touches the ball, or if Suarez gives him the slip, then he's garbage and should never play again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

St Eve

I thought that we looked good. Effort, passion and yes class. Arsenal got thumped by them 4 days ago, Everton before that and Spurs. We deserved a point

VamosFFC

Heitinger - assured

I actually thought Riise played great these past two games. He made important tackles and clearances when needed. Also, we now clearly know Richardson's better position is midfield, which was already thought I'm guessing.

Judging by Mitroglou's performance with the U21s, he should be able to make an immediate impact I'm hoping.

Kvist has been a surprise in midfield and I hope he keeps it up. His sliding block on Mata's shot was amazing! Unlucky on the where the block went, but his effort is really great to watch.

No need to say anything about Holtby, he's been great to watch in a Fulham shirt. Brings much needed energy to the team.

Can't say enough good things about Burn. He has a great future ahead of him and I just hope we can hold on to him.

Yes, we did a lot of huffing and puffing these last two games, but we showed we have fight and resilience. The quality will come.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: VamosFFC on February 13, 2014, 04:48:08 AM

Heitinger - assured

I actually thought Riise played great these past two games. He made important tackles and clearances when needed. Also, we now clearly know Richardson's better position is midfield, which was already thought I'm guessing.

Judging by Mitroglou's performance with the U21s, he should be able to make an immediate impact I'm hoping.

Kvist has been a surprise in midfield and I hope he keeps it up. His sliding block on Mata's shot was amazing! Unlucky on the where the block went, but his effort is really great to watch.

No need to say anything about Holtby, he's been great to watch in a Fulham shirt. Brings much needed energy to the team.

Can't say enough good things about Burn. He has a great future ahead of him and I just hope we can hold on to him.

Yes, we did a lot of huffing and puffing these last two games, but we showed we have fight and resilience. The quality will come.
Agree with this, I believe one of the reasons Richardson performances have been off the chart compared to previous games is that he has Riisse is behind him. The only failing we have is that we haven't addressed the tendency to fall back and draw teams onto us in the last 15-20 minutes, though its difficult to judge last night as Liverpool looked like a team that could win the league, always pressing and probing with Sturridge and Suarez trying to pull the defence every which way.
Great performance proud of the team last night, they all looked as gutted as we felt after the penalty. Hres hoping for 3 points at WBA and start of a run that pulls us away.

Zu-Meister

wish dejagah plays instead of tunnicliffe.

Skatzoffc

Heitinger - assured

I thought Richardson against Utd was the best he has played.
But watching last night, he was even better. Very pacey too.

Excellent week for him and I hope he keeps it going.

COYW!
049:gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !