watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Update and outlook

Started by Max Headroom, February 13, 2014, 12:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

A lot has changed since my last update....

1. We have conceded lots of goals
2. We have lost most of our matches
3. We still have problem holding possession

BUT

I do believe the tide has turned, although it may or may not be soon enough or fast enough to save us from the drop.

We have ushered out the dead wood from the squad.
1. Berbatov was bad for team morale, and Holtby is a much better option in his position.
2. Taraabt was flattering to deceive. Looked good, but never actually created anything.
3. Senderos was OK in my opinion, and unfairly vilified, but wasn't good on the ball and an accident waiting to happen (he did have some good games
4. Hughes. I don't want t say a bad word about the man, but was past his prime
5. I did want a new left back though ;(

The new players
1. Holtby is just pure class.
2. Kvist is the holding midfielder we were missing
3. Mitroglou remains to be seen, but exciting that Meulensteen thought we were lucky to get him.
4. Tunnicliffe looks solid.
5. they are all hard workers and put in a shift
6. Its good to see the youngsters getting game time.

The outlook.
1. From Utd and Liverpool we got 1 point more than we were expecting
2. The team are clearly together as a team which they were not when Jol was in charge.
3. I back Meulensteen even if we go down. He had a hell of a task to turn things around and he hasn't shirked making hard decisions (dropping Bede, Dempsey and Parker, and shipping the lazier players on).
4. WBA away is absolutely massive. if we lose that then we begin to be cut adrift.
5. Dembele is clearly injured and I would expect him on the bench soon.

What I would like us to improve on
1. I wish we could keep the ball better
2. I wish the left/right backs would make it harder for players to cross
3. I was shouting at the pitch when Coutinho was being allowed to run freely just outside the box. We have given so many goals away from shots outside the box like that.
4. Some of Rene's substitutions are a bit odd, but generally he is doing very well in my view

I still believe. We can stay up.

DUKE

Very good assessment. I think one of the  reasons Coutinho was being allowed to run so freely is the risk of giving away a free kick in that area and we all know how lethal  Suarez is from those positions. Imo they were instructed to either clean tackle or stay just a yard back to block the view. We limited them to very few shots from the edge of the box. I agree with you we have given so many goals from that area but that happens when you defend so deep and most of the goals have been deflected ones.

ltd-ffc

Quote from: Max Headroom on February 13, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
A lot has changed since my last update....

1. We have conceded lots of goals
2. We have lost most of our matches
3. We still have problem holding possession

BUT

I do believe the tide has turned, although it may or may not be soon enough or fast enough to save us from the drop.

We have ushered out the dead wood from the squad.
1. Berbatov was bad for team morale, and Holtby is a much better option in his position.
2. Taraabt was flattering to deceive. Looked good, but never actually created anything.
3. Senderos was OK in my opinion, and unfairly vilified, but wasn't good on the ball and an accident waiting to happen (he did have some good games
4. Hughes. I don't want t say a bad word about the man, but was past his prime
5. I did want a new left back though ;(

The new players
1. Holtby is just pure class.
2. Kvist is the holding midfielder we were missing
3. Mitroglou remains to be seen, but exciting that Meulensteen thought we were lucky to get him.
4. Tunnicliffe looks solid.
5. they are all hard workers and put in a shift
6. Its good to see the youngsters getting game time.

The outlook.
1. From Utd and Liverpool we got 1 point more than we were expecting
2. The team are clearly together as a team which they were not when Jol was in charge.
3. I back Meulensteen even if we go down. He had a hell of a task to turn things around and he hasn't shirked making hard decisions (dropping Bede, Dempsey and Parker, and shipping the lazier players on).
4. WBA away is absolutely massive. if we lose that then we begin to be cut adrift.
5. Dembele is clearly injured and I would expect him on the bench soon.

What I would like us to improve on
3. I was shouting at the pitch when Coutinho was being allowed to run freely just outside the box. We have given so many goals away from shots outside the box like that.
4. Some of Rene's substitutions are a bit odd, but generally he is doing very well in my view

I still believe. We can stay up.

always look forward to your summaries sir! very well put
"Happy that Middlesbrough didn't go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy" Ryan Tunnicliffe June 2015

callumc513

Probably the best summary of our position that I've seen, bravo!

Barrie

Excellent post, hard to disagree with much or any of it.  I was beginning to really believing again up to point of that winner last night, which felt like a kick in the guts.

Burt

Excellent post Mr Headroom sir. Sums it up very well.

JackyFulham90

I was very down after Southampton but with the new players I believe we can stay up I hope he doesn't make too many changes against West Brom. It's a massive game for us I hope he goes unchanged other than Mitraglou for Bent

Max Headroom

I would add that we have been a bit unlucky over the past two weeks with the other results tending to go against us....

RaySmith

Quote from: Max Headroom on February 13, 2014, 03:55:48 PM
I would add that we have been a bit unlucky over the past two weeks with the other results tending to go against us....

Perhaps our luck might turn....hopefully!

I liked your initial post - great stuff, thanks.

YoungsBitter

Great summary, I have many same feelings -

"What I would like us to improve on:-"
Agree but in fairness the last two teams we have played make it tough to keep the ball and with 9 across our own box and Bent marshaled by two defenders there was no real outlet. WBA will be easier for us to maintain possession, however I will expect them to press us hard so the outlet is critical, I am hoping we start Mitroglou as from his Greece experience and even the Villa U21s game he looks more of a handful than Bent.
Thats what you get with older more canny backs like Riise and Riether, Riise always stands off rather than gets skinned and Riether now seems to be doing the same. Crosses yesterday were not a problem it was backing off the midfield player breaking inside....
Me too, in fact been doing it all season watching Parker and Sidwell let them come across and take shots - Huddlestone, Holtby, Mutch to name a couple. Also with lots of bodies in the box unsurprisingly we have been hit by so many deflections it not funny, same again yday...
Yes and as someone mentioned yday Wilkins not on bench yday so the subs were not as stupid as in some earlier games. I think Richardson was taken off too early but Kaca didn't do that badly.
Quark, strangeness and charm