more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Tom Finney...

Started by LBNo11, February 14, 2014, 09:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...the passing of a generation.

A true legend, a true gentleman and a loyal team man.

RIP Tom

Sir Tom Finney Tribute

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Macedo

After Tony Macedo my Dads fav player..

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 14, 2014, 09:41:22 PM
...the passing of a generation.

A true legend, a true gentleman and a loyal team man.

RIP Tom

Sir Tom Finney Tribute

Couldn't of put it better LB

Sad day, English legend

Rest in peace Sir Tom

Northern Cottager

Absolute legend up here in Preston.

Travers Barney

My Dad said he was the best player he ever saw as did Billy Liddell many moons ago.

coyw
We are the whites

cmg

One of the great English footballers and a fine sportsman.

A genuine winger (could play either flank) not as artistic as Matthews but a much more potent goal threat. Often played as a centre-forward.
Never earned enough as a footballer to give up his day job, what would a player like him be worth today?

Before he could start all this stuff he had to fight a war. He went off at age 20 to drive a tank for the 8th Army and fought through successful campaigns in North Africa and up through Sicily and Italy. Once this was done he could get back to playing football.

100% class as a player and a man.

CorkedHat

As I have often said, Tom Finney was the star player in the very first match I saw in 1951 when Preston played Fulham. Unlike today, he was a player who was underpaid without any hint of an ego. If I had to name the top five players I have had the privilege of seeing they would be Haynes,  Finney, Greaves, Best and Law. I'm sorry I was never a fan of Sir Stanley – sacrilege I know, but that's just me. Perhaps I am biased because he kept Arthur Stevens from getting an England cap which he fully deserved
RIP Tom
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

It's a shame that his grandest wish was never fulfilled. He wanted to live to see Preston back in the top flight. He came close a few seasons back, but they never got there.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamborn and proud

amen to all the posts on this great man,RIP

Fernhurst

RIP Tom a man revered the length and breadth of The United Kingdom at the height of his career.

Wonderfully talented, coupled with humility a trait very rarely seen these days.

God bless Tom, from a whole generation of Old Sods who were lucky enough to be around when you were.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

RIP Sir Tom. As others had said, never earns what he should have like JH was a one club man.

SG

A great player and a true gent from a different era. Just comparing him and his record to the unseemly mess at our club just now shows how football has degenerated over the years.

bog

Excellent posting Les. If ever there was a player who deserved to be knighted it was Tom. He could play in any forward position when they played with 5 forwards. Apparently when Johan Cryff was inducted into the Ajax Hall of Fame EVERY top player from around the world was there but Johan lamented the fact that Tom Finney was not able to attend because of his age. He was also a plumber during his playing days being called The Preston Plumber. On top of this he was a true gentleman, one of those who no one has a bad word to say about. Really got to me when I heard of his passing.
RIP.   

092.gif

grandad

I am proud to have seen Finney, Haynes & Matthews play. The 3 greatest legends of English football. RIP Tom.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Northern Cottager

Just driven past he ground. Absolutely heavingNd fully f tributes to a true legend. Will be on the game later to pay my respects and will try post some pictures. Apparently the whole team will wear Finney 7 on their shirts as well.

RaySmith

A wonderful player, and a true legend of the game, at a time when that word is often used incorrectly; and a representative of another, gentler, kinder, sporting -in every sense of the word -era, before money took over all values and concerns, in football and society generally.

Northern Cottager

Fantastic send off from all connected at PNE.

blackpool fc wore black ATM bands and clubs up and own the country showed their respect...

...all aside from Chelscum, booed throughout he minutes silence...