News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any other observations from people about our latest change?

Started by General, February 16, 2014, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Clearly it was very last minute, I know some were laughing, but it brings a bit more gravitas when I said Mcleish was being shown around the ground - have to say I'm glad that didn't happen though.

If we're all being honest it seems stupid - Khan's logic on 'can't just hope for results to change' is a ludicrous thing to say - changing manager is doing exactly that - especially when you bring them in so close to the end of the season.

I saw Dejagah walk away from the ground straight after the liverpool game - at the same time the fans left - mentioned his name to a friend, he noticed, looked at me and just looked very annoyed with life. I would've thought regular routine stuff would be for the team to leave together - this would suggest all is not well - or Dejagah is annoyed at seeing Kaka (who in my opinion is a lot worse) getting game time over him, when let's be honest, if we had subbed Dejagah on instead of Kaka, we may have snatched the draw. If I was being very nosy with Riether's last minute and pointless tackle, losing us the game against Liverpool and with the possible knowledge of Magath becoming manager if Rene lost, perhaps it could have been purposefully done. It is no secret that both Dejagah and Riether played together under Magath when Wolfsburg won their last first ever title. Will be interesting to see how much they both feature. I liked the new youthful slant we were going with - a bonus of Rene's tenure here, but may not be suprised to see these two. They will be familiar with him and his tactics and methods, and unless they fall out of favour will be happy and focused with the change.

A worry though is that there is no news regarding Magaths support team - we're all in limbo, which shows how rushed through this appointment is - and if you have been at the club this season through two other managers, you may very well lose the will to live - Magaths strength though will be to hopefully focus all the players. I hope he has been (as have the players been) given assurances that that he will be the manager for the rest of the season.

My final observation though was that this - if we were ever going to make one last change then after the liverpool game (with a ten day window) was probably the only and best time to do so.

Anyone else have any other insights?

TonyGilroy

Reither deliberately gave away a penalty to get Magath appointed? I'd rethink that.

I remain astonished that this change was made, am concerned with some of the things being said about Magath and am horrified by the way things have been done but there's no turning back and we have to hope that the decision makers know what they're doing.

MasterHaynes

Having read many of the annecdotes on his methods, especially the one ' fining players 1,000 euros for an unnecessary backpass', I now know why he was brought in - to cut the wage bill in half

Burt

It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.

Only time will tell whether this has been a good move, or not.

Personally, I feel less confident about our prospects than I was before the change was announced. There just seems to be uncertainty all over the place. That can't be good.

The Rock

As much as the situation seems ludicrous, it does show that the owner wants to be in the Premier League and it looks like he's willing to spend to get the results. This is a very good thing. In the case of QPR, they just spent. With Kahn, he has inherited a team he has not been able to fully put his stamp on, and it leaves him in a position that is seeing him scramble. It could be a lot worse. Pompey, Blackburn etc was a train wreck to watch, and thankfully this is sort of the opposite.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Having read all of the bumf and viewed the time line
I do not agree it was a last minute thing indeed there is nothing clear about this travesty

I think the Club were going to announce it on Monday ( hopefully they intended to do it in a decent way)
I think they were always after a manager which is why Rene never had that title indeed I do not remember
him ever having one ....never saw on the Fulham  Site
it was always:
Head Coach: Rene Meulensteen
As Tony said :

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 16, 2014, 11:52:23 AM

Reither deliberately gave away a penalty to get Magath appointed? I'd rethink that.

I remain astonished that this change was made, am concerned with some of the things being said about Magath and am horrified by the way things have been done but there's no turning back and we have to hope that the decision makers know what they're doing.

valdeingruo

I tend to agree, yes it was a shock, but Rene was never appointed. I dont know if i like it yet, but there is nothing I can do but watch.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

YankeeJim

Quote from: KCat on February 16, 2014, 01:58:27 PM
I do not agree it was a last minute thing indeed there is nothing clear about this travesty

I think the Club were going to announce it on Monday ( hopefully they intended to do it in a decent way)
I think they were always after a manager which is why Rene never had that title indeed I do not remember
it was always:
As Tony said :

KCat, please tell me your new avatar isn't a photo of you.  093.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: andersons11 on February 16, 2014, 02:42:45 PM
I tend to agree, yes it was a shock, but Rene was never appointed..

Actually we've all overlooked that - including Rene.

He remained head coach in charge of the team on an interim basis. It may even be that Mackintosh/Khan assumed that he'd be fine working under a newly appointed manager.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Berserker

Ok here's a question for you Americans. What is the name of the weapon that Chingacook used to kill Uncas in the last of the Mohicans film? It wasn't a Tomahawk but I've always wondered what it was.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Riverside

I don't think the decision was made after the Liverpool match . I think it was 100% after either the Southampton or Sheffield Utd game .

BishopsParkFantastic

it was always:

As Tony said :

Rene was appointed as Head Coach. When Jol left, it was stated on the Fulham website that Rene would 'oversee' the 1st team. As far as i know Rene has never been referred to as 1st Team Manager. The CEO has, it would appear, failed to clarify job titles, roles and responsibilities with his staff and failed to act in a decent way towards Rene in bringing in Magath. Rene might have been wise to maintain a low profile with the media until everything was clear and resolved at the club. The whole situation, badly handled by the CEO, is a complete shambles!

General

Quote from: KCat on February 16, 2014, 05:55:34 PM
Jimbo near enough I just don't  have a tomahawk :022:

sorry to hear about your hair loss. x

General

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on February 16, 2014, 07:06:41 PM

him ever having one ....never saw on the Fulham  Site
it was always:

As Tony said :

Rene was appointed as Head Coach. When Jol left, it was stated on the Fulham website that Rene would 'oversee' the 1st team. As far as i know Rene has never been referred to as 1st Team Manager. The CEO has, it would appear, failed to clarify job titles, roles and responsibilities with his staff and failed to act in a decent way towards Rene in bringing in Magath. Rene might have been wise to maintain a low profile with the media until everything was clear and resolved at the club. The whole situation, badly handled by the CEO, is a complete shambles!

In all honesty though Rene had a phone call with the club about something - they should not have left it so unclear.. that said though - perhaps this is why keeping him in check about being a head coach and dispelling rumours about his role being anything more (and also leaving it so long to appoint a manager) are huge flaws by our senior club management.

Well, at least it is easier to find where the whole thing has gone upside down and who should be accountable.

Question is - do you think Rene can now take part at Fulham having publicly said he was out of a job - having a clear difference in technical opinions with Magath on the coaching side and clearly thinking he was basically manager - with no-one stating otherwise?

another level of problems to sort out. Normally though a managers appointment is accompanied quite quickly if not simultaneously by his back-room staff. They've all got the impression they're no longer wanted (yet they are) and will possibly all resent Magath (or his appointment) because of the way it was carried out.

Now if this doesn't get sorted out sooner or later, than this could very well see us relegated.

That said though - if you're looking for a clear structure and you have a couple of the best coaches in the world under a manager who knows how to win games and even leagues with first timers (in terms of clubs winning leagues for the first time), then if it comes off it could be quite potent.

That said, that is a big IF... Mackintosh and Khan though will always be remembered for this complete f-up.

TonyGilroy

That said, that is a big IF... Mackintosh and Khan though will always be remembered for this complete f-up.

That depends on how Magath's management goes.

The manner in which it's been done has been appallingly incompetent but if Magath keeps us up all will be forgotten.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Berserker on February 16, 2014, 06:00:15 PM
Ok here's a question for you Americans. What is the name of the weapon that Chingacook used to kill Uncas in the last of the Mohicans film? It wasn't a Tomahawk but I've always wondered what it was.

It was an ancient native American weapon. It was called "bigum stick with a pointy thingy".
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Baszab

Riether giving a penalty away on purpose is an interesting theory - the tackle looked so amateurish it is almost believable - RM was not liked by a lot of the players - but the Magath decision was made very quickly indeed - hardly anyone at the club had any idea what was going on - and some still don't. Many of the players had been given a few days off and have had to rush home - absolute  planning and man- management disaster by the directors of FFC - what a cock-up all round

Holders

The question in ths post was any other observations?

Well, I've been away fro the weekend and just caught the brief news on the the general sports news, I was stunned, my jaw dropped,

If Rene had been given, as reported, two matches to turn results around, he got a point at Man U and nearly one against Liverpool. Let's suppose that we had got a draw, i.e. two points from those two games  - would he still have been replaced? I really don't see how the "head coach" can be held responsible for a silly tackle by an experienced defender.

Well, we have what we have. I don't see the logic from where I sit but I'm not within the club and am not privy to all the facts. The new man comes with an impressive pedigree, we all have to hope that he can do what it says on the tin.

The one positive thing it does show, whether the most recent action proves to be right or wrong, is that Khan is not messing - even thoigh many would say that he was late in getting rid of Jol and not sufficiently committed during the summer window.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria