watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Less of the stereotyping please

Started by LillieBoy, February 16, 2014, 11:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LillieBoy

So far we've had "Herr Flick", "Kraut", "Fuhrer", "Fritz".  Probably others. It's offensive

The 2nd World War finished nearly 70 years ago.

Sammyffc

i dont agree with the nicknames , totally distasteful . BUT , we need to remember SOME english people will always hate germans . 70 years ago or not .

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 16, 2014, 11:56:34 AM
So far we've had "Herr Flick", "Kraut", "Fuhrer", "Fritz".  Probably others. It's offensive

The 2nd World War finished nearly k70 years ago.
Only for some people!

Only for some people!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

twelli

He's half Puerto Rican, at least call him "Borikraut"...

fulhamben

Quote from: twelli on February 16, 2014, 12:12:07 PM
He's half Puerto Rican, at least call him "Borikraut"...
borat for short?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

nose

all i could think was felix the cat.... i am sure that ain't racist

epsomraver

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 16, 2014, 11:56:34 AM
So far we've had "Herr Flick", "Kraut", "Fuhrer", "Fritz".  Probably others. It's offensive

The 2nd World War finished nearly 70 years ago.

They bombed our chip shop, never forgive them!!

cmg

Racial stereotyping is often lazy, frequently inaccurate and can, taken to extremes, be distasteful.
But the history, rivalries, differences and similarities between us and our German neighbours is a fact and cannot be gainsaid - they will always form a basis for some kind of badinage.

To say that 'English people will always hate Germans' is foolish and just plain wrong.

Magath has said that he rather likes the nickname 'Quälix' - which is a pretty clever one and obviously not without some accuracy.

LillieBoy

Quote from: Sammyffc on February 16, 2014, 12:08:29 PM
i dont agree with the nicknames , totally distasteful . BUT , we need to remember english people will always hate germans . 70 years ago or not .

My mum lived through the Blitz but doesn't "always hate germans" as you put it. Most younger people have no reason to.

Many of our fans made friends across Germany during the Europa adventure.  I recall posts here expressing surprise and delight how friendly they were.

People should travel more.  There are good people and horrible people everywhere in the world. It has nothing to do with nationality.

cmg

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 16, 2014, 12:26:41 PM

My mum lived through the Blitz but doesn't "always hate germans" as you put it. Most younger people have no reason to.

Many of our fans made friends across Germany during the Europa adventure.  I recall posts here expressing surprise and delight how friendly they were.

People should travel more.  There are good people and horrible people everywhere in the world. It has nothing to do with nationality.

:54: Well said  :54:

LillieBoy

Quote from: nose on February 16, 2014, 12:18:39 PM

Cor that takes me back. Wasn't he a cartoon from the 30s?
There was,of course, Fritz the cat.....oops.

Sammyffc

maybe its my family , 3 great uncles all still alive in there 90's , one is 98 ! got bless him . Even from young have made me not like germans in the slightest, well not germans as such , just the place i think . I can't explain it . Mainly due to the fact one of my great uncles won't speak about anything that happened to him when he got caught once and was tortured for months  :016: . Call me old fashioned, but that event has made my views on them stick  1500.gif

Oakeshott

Maurice Volz quickly became a Fulham favourite for his full-hearted play and I can't remember anyone abusing him at the ground or on this forum because he was German. Hopefully the same courtesy will be extended to Felix.

nose

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 16, 2014, 12:26:41 PM
Quote from: Sammyffc on February 16, 2014, 12:08:29 PM
i dont agree with the nicknames , totally distasteful . BUT , we need to remember english people will always hate germans . 70 years ago or not .

Many of our fans made friends across Germany during the Europa adventure.  I recall posts here expressing surprise and delight how friendly they were.

People should travel more.  There are good people and horrible people everywhere in the world. It has nothing to do with nationality.
#

there are some national traits though.

we noticed how they are very addicted to time keeping... when breakfast finished at 1030, the food was wipped away at 1030
in Hanover gardens we were told at 1230 the fountains would be swithedoff and at 230 switched on and to the second (more or less) it was so. and when we spent a week in germany before and after wolfsburg and some time in hamburg for the final the adherence to the clock was unbeliveable.... just an observation compared to 1230 in england is anytime between 1215 and ten past one.

nose

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 16, 2014, 12:31:56 PM

i think he was a silent film cartoon from the 20s, mickey mouse did for his popularity!

OdecaMynoT

D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

LillieBoy

Quote from: nose on February 16, 2014, 12:37:40 PM

i think he was a silent film cartoon from the 20s, mickey mouse did for his popularity!

Yeah my family still have some old reels, I think.

LillieBoy

KCat!  What has happened to your lovely avatar!!

ffc73

Quote from: nose on February 16, 2014, 12:37:40 PM

How about Top Cat?  With Ali Mac as the often non-plussed Officer Dibble....

Top Cat Intro Credits