Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Perhaps this is our best team:
              Stekelenburg
Riether  Hangeland  Burn  Heitinga
            Kvist  Tunnicliffe
      Dejagah  Holtby   Cole
                  Mitroglou

No point in going to The Hawthorns with the mind-set that we're prepared to concede 70% possession to our opponents. We need a mixture of pace, guile and resilience so that we can defend solidly, dictate the game in midfield for long periods and attack with menace.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Arthur on February 17, 2014, 02:52:47 PM
              Stekelenburg
            Kvist  Tunnicliffe
      Dejagah  Holtby   Cole
                  Mitroglou

No point in going to The Hawthorns with the mind-set that we're prepared to concede 70% possession to our opponents. We need a mixture of pace, guile and resilience so that we can defend solidly, dictate the game in midfield for long periods and attack with menace.

I don't think Sidwell and Richardson can be dropped on current form.

Richardson got a goal and an assist last game, and Sid is our top scorer.

I also don't think Riise should be dropped; not because he's untouchable, but because he's the best we have. The only alternative would be Amore, but he has the turning circle of a jumbo jet; not helpful going forward.. Heitinga is CB/DM, I wouldn't want him on the flanks. Leaving Briggs (crocked), Richardson (currently our best LM), and Riise (the only real choice..).

Texas White

Quote from: Craven Mad on February 17, 2014, 03:00:55 PM
              Stekelenburg
            Kvist  Tunnicliffe
      Dejagah  Holtby   Cole
                  Mitroglou

I don't think Sidwell and Richardson can be dropped on current form.

Richardson got a goal and an assist last game, and Sid is our top scorer.

I also don't think Riise should be dropped; not because he's untouchable, but because he's the best we have. The only alternative would be Amore, but he has the turning circle of a jumbo jet; not helpful going forward.. Heitinga is CB/DM, I wouldn't want him on the flanks. Leaving Briggs (crocked), Richardson (currently our best LM), and Riise (the only real choice..).

Amore has shown nothing to justify inclusion on recent form. One of the worst last time out.

Bassey the warrior

Stekelenburg
            Kvist  Tunnicliffe
      Dejagah  Holtby   Cole
                  Mitroglou

Sidders for Tunnicliffe and Richardson for Cole and Heitinga for Hangeland and I agree. Dejagah must work harder to track back though.

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

Magath doesn't play with conventional wingers in the Man U mold, his outside mids cut in and width is provided by the fullbacks ala Martin Jol's setup. I think offensively we might be in for some boring build up play again, but hopefully Holtby and the Greek can combine well in the final 3rd. Historically Magath's teams know how to shut up shop once they're in the lead, so I don't think we'll be seeing many more 90th minute meltdowns.

Arthur

Sidwell is a conundrum. In my opinion, the less possession we have, the more useful he becomes - which is why he's done so well in our last two matches.

Against the Baggies, we should be thinking in terms of having 50%-or-more possession. In this respect, I wonder whether, on balance, we are better off sacrificing Sidwell - who offers defensive grit over passing ability - for Tunnicliffe, who is not without defensive qualities and will almost certainly pass the ball better.

JackyFulham90

I think 4-3-3 at West Brom

Stekelenburg
Riether Heitinga Burn Riise
            Sidwell Kvist Holtby
Dejagah      Mitraglou      Richardson

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 17, 2014, 04:11:28 PM
I think 4-3-3 at West Brom

Stekelenburg
Riether Heitinga Burn Riise
             Sidwell Kvist Holtby
Dejagah      Mitraglou      Richardson

Magath has never used a 433 system

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on February 17, 2014, 03:52:32 PM
Magath doesn't play with conventional wingers in the Man U mold, his outside mids cut in and width is provided by the fullbacks ala Martin Jol's setup. I think offensively we might be in for some boring build up play again, but hopefully Holtby and the Greek can combine well in the final 3rd. Historically Magath's teams know how to shut up shop once they're in the lead, so I don't think we'll be seeing many more 90th minute meltdowns.

I don't know much about Magath or his style of play but I do remember his Wolfsburg team having some massive wins the season they won the bundesliga and on a consistent basis. Doesn't indicate shutting up shop to me but as I say, I don't know much of his history at other clubs.

Pluto

No thanks to 4-4-2. Too difficult to play in the PL these days unless you're a top top side that can dominate midfield.

Also Holtby is by far and away our best player and needs to be played in his correct position, as a number 10 behind a striker.

I'd go with:

Stek
Riether   Heitinga    Burn  Riise
Dejagah Sidwell     Kvist   Richardson
                      Holtby
                     Mitroglou

Bench:
Stockdale
Hangeland
Tunnicliffe
Kasami
Kacaniklic
Tankovic
Bent

Julius Geezer

Quote from: Pluto on February 17, 2014, 05:12:30 PM
No thanks to 4-4-2. Too difficult to play in the PL these days unless you're a top top side that can dominate midfield.

Also Holtby is by far and away our best player and needs to be played in his correct position, as a number 10 behind a striker.

I'd go with:

Stek
                      Holtby
                     Mitroglou

Bench:
Stockdale
Hangeland
Tunnicliffe
Kasami
Kacaniklic
Tankovic
Bent

This looks most likely.

JackyFulham90

Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 17, 2014, 05:37:50 PM

I'd go with:

Stek
                      Holtby
                     Mitroglou

Bench:
Stockdale
Hangeland
Tunnicliffe
Kasami
Kacaniklic
Tankovic
Bent

This looks most likely.

Parker??

Julius Geezer

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 17, 2014, 05:43:40 PM

I'd go with:

Stek
                      Holtby
                     Mitroglou

Bench:
Stockdale
Hangeland
Tunnicliffe
Kasami
Kacaniklic
Tankovic
Bent

This looks most likely.

Parker??

If he's on his way to QPR - he won't be featuring.

JackyFulham90

He won't be going to Qpr they have already ruled it out, he has been one of our best players this season

Pluto

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 17, 2014, 05:43:40 PM

I'd go with:

Stek
                      Holtby
                     Mitroglou

Bench:
Stockdale
Hangeland
Tunnicliffe
Kasami
Kacaniklic
Tankovic
Bent

This looks most likely.

Parker??

Thought he was going to QPR but aside from that I don't really think he offers anything from the bench. Tunicliffe can essentially do the same thing and also play wide if need be.

Julius Geezer

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 17, 2014, 07:18:15 PM
He won't be going to Qpr they have already ruled it out, he has been one of our best players this season

First half of the season you mean.

He's been picked on reputation rather than form.

We've looked a better side lately when he hasn't started.

Can you give me the source where they've ruled it out?

Julius Geezer

JackyFulham90 where's this source for the Parker deal being off?

Or was that just waffle?

the nutflush

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 17, 2014, 12:44:04 AM
Yeah I am sure Bent would do well in a 2 man striker force, obviously Dembele is highly rated & would offer some pace, Saturday will be interesting can't wait to see his line up

I can see it now.  He plays Duff and I hang myself on my back patio. 

Craven Mad

I haven't seen any news about it being off, but I imagine Felix won't let anyone else go. From what I understand, Magath likes the competition that builds in a large squad - lots of players fighting for a few places.

Either way, we shouldn't let parker go. If Kvist gets injured, Scott is the next best DM. At this stage in the season, with all the pressure of extreme training sessions, we need to make the most of depth and experience. I hope he stays and think he should have a place on the bench.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

The truth is We have no idea what team we will see on Saturday
The only player that is a cert to start os Stekelenburg ....................... Christ !!! we cannot even be sure he has got over being Swarezed !!!

However,

We have ONE manager