watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So now we know - Official statement! Rene gone - Merged

Started by cmg, February 18, 2014, 10:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

We still have Segers, Scott Miller , Kit & all the Academy coaches. So there will be some continuity
Where there's a will there's a wife

Arthur

Quote from: HatterDon on February 19, 2014, 02:31:28 AM
Does he know the tactics? Does he know the psychology of the officials? Does he know the variations in the pitches? Does he know the peculiarities of the weather?

It's a given that any player or manager needs some time to learn the league to be at his best. How is Felix exempt from this given? Because he knows football?  

I can't work out whether you are unhappy that Meulensteen was replaced or merely unhappy that we haven't appointed someone who has PL experience.

Either way, I would argue that concerns about Magath's lack of familiarity with the attitude of the officials, his not knowing what the pitch will be like, and any shortfall in his knowledge of the English weather are, what can be termed, 'small beer' and hardly represent an insurmountable challenge.

With regard to his not knowing tactics, I assume you mean the opposition's. West Brom's? Probably not. Yet, seeing as Pepe Mel's not long since taken charge, The Baggies' tactics are new to everyone. The Club will have had someone compile a report and Magath will be able to watch videos. (And they, of course, will have even less of an idea of what our tactics will be.)

Magath's appointment is a gamble; this much is undeniable. Was there a better option? For all his likeable attributes, Rene's record of 10 points from 13 matches and 34 goals conceded doesn't suggest that salvation was on the cards. Who else? Do you have someone in mind?

JBH

Quote from: Holders on February 18, 2014, 10:11:39 PM
I still think it's a great shame - in all senses of the word.

I am actually glad as Rene and his staff flattered to decieve   065.gif

alfie

Quote from: HatterDon on February 19, 2014, 05:03:32 AM
Quote from: Moussa Dembele the 3rd on February 19, 2014, 02:47:13 AM
Give me a break HatterDon, football is football. Would you prefer Ian Dowie? He knows the English game.

Yeah, because the only choices in the world were Magath and Dowie. This is what grown-ups call a specious argument.

I must say all this lack of PL experience does not mean failure, there are a good few managers who came into the pl without pl experience and have done quite well, even old red nose (although he almost got relegated in his first season).

Seems sometimes that we look for failure before anyone has had a go.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Meerkat

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 18, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
This sounds just like the set-up under Tigana.

I have a similiar feeling.  Tigana was a stickler for discipline and fitness, he had a mound for the players to run up and down at Motspur I can remember.

epsomraver

Quote from: Jack Fulham on February 18, 2014, 11:03:37 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on February 18, 2014, 10:15:20 PM
Not one with any experience of the EPL

Football is a global game. Germans are very good at it. :54:

So he would be conversant with WBA and their set up, he will know how our players have been playing in matches, not just on the training  field? We know it went well in training but not in the match from Jol.

LillieBoy

Quote from: Meerkat on February 19, 2014, 08:42:06 AM
Quote from: LillieBoy on February 18, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
This sounds just like the set-up under Tigana.

I have a similiar feeling.  Tigana was a stickler for discipline and fitness, he had a mound for the players to run up and down at Motspur I can remember.

I wonder if Felix will have their teeth checked and give them ballet lessons?

Cos it works!   :58:

Fulham1959

Exactly my feelings.  The shine has temporarily gone off supporting Fulham and it's no longer the club we thought we knew.

TonyGilroy

Bottom line is that it's been such crap pre Felix that it can hardly get much worse. Might even improve.

A spirited performance against Liverpool of course but we still lost, shipped three goals and failed to protect two leads. That we're pleased with that shows how low our expectations have fallen.

Count Berbatov

I think I am coming around in my opinion on this.
Rene, couldn't turn this around and into points. Felix looks to be the man for the job. Sure, he's got no experience in the PL, but he has experience with players.
I think this was the right move. There's a chance still. And Rene wasn't going to be the one to take it.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

cmg

Quote from: jmh on February 18, 2014, 10:52:31 PM

I have to imagine that, somewhere at Motspur Park, there must be a room where our new manager can watch all our previous matches.

Jeez, I hope not. The poor bloke looks miserable enough already.

FFC1987

Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 19, 2014, 10:05:24 AM
I think I am coming around in my opinion on this.
Rene, couldn't turn this around and into points. Felix looks to be the man for the job. Sure, he's got no experience in the PL, but he has experience with players.
I think this was the right move. There's a chance still. And Rene wasn't going to be the one to take it.

Based on the matches he had with Jol's squad and the matches we had after 1 window, i'd say Rene left us in better shape than what he recieved it in. Not saying he was brilliant but I still think it's harsh to sack a man after two matches with a team he'd had influence in creating and bringing in decent players AND picking up a point away at Old Trafford. (should of had a point at home to Pool too.....)

Hope i'm wrong and Felix is the bee's knee's but im skeptical and think we will be similar in setup to Jols tenure with a lack of energy of youth and an over reliance on the older players with an average aged team of 30+ again.

I'm speculating obviously but the optimist in me is gone. Feel free to pick it to pieces but its an educated guess.

LillieBoy

Quote from: cmg on February 19, 2014, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: jmh on February 18, 2014, 10:52:31 PM

I have to imagine that, somewhere at Motspur Park, there must be a room where our new manager can watch all our previous matches.

Jeez, I hope not. The poor bloke looks miserable enough already.

064.gif

Julius Geezer

Quote from: Admin on February 18, 2014, 11:00:48 PM
Quote from: filham on February 18, 2014, 10:47:04 PM

No one with knowledge of how the 36 odd players we have used this season have performed in matches, so what is the basis for team selection for Saturday, simply how players have performed in training this week? ?

I sense a few more heavy defeats coming along.

Even if we do get beat, I'll guarantee you nowthat we won't get beat as heavily as we've done under Jol and Rene'.

That's not the point though.

We need points regardless of performance levels otherwise we might as well of stuck with René!

jarv

I wonder if the 5 managers/coaches leaving went to the pub for a leaving do. 082.gif

JBH

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 19, 2014, 09:56:02 AM

Exactly my feelings.  The shine has temporarily gone off supporting Fulham and it's no longer the club we thought we knew.

Thats the trouble when you have tasted success, things sometimes take a turn for the worse and it was always likely to happen when Mo left.

But as has been said many times before, we have been in darker places that this but as we are currently in the Premier League the media (especially SKY) jump onto everything that is negative and often paint a picture that is very distrorted becauseit makes better news  065.gif

JBH

Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 19, 2014, 11:08:48 AM

No one with knowledge of how the 36 odd players we have used this season have performed in matches, so what is the basis for team selection for Saturday, simply how players have performed in training this week? ?

Even if we do get beat, I'll guarantee you nowthat we won't get beat as heavily as we've done under Jol and Rene'.

We need points regardless of performance levels otherwise we might as well of stuck with René!

The point is just because we need the points doesn't always mean it will happen no matter how hard we try because it is not our divine right to survive no matter how well or badly we play

Julius Geezer

Quote from: JBH on February 19, 2014, 12:39:00 PM
Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 19, 2014, 11:08:48 AM

The point is just because we need the points doesn't always mean it will happen no matter how hard we try because it is not our divine right to survive no matter how well or badly we play

Huh? That doesn't make sense!

Count Berbatov

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 19, 2014, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 19, 2014, 10:05:24 AMI think I am coming around in my opinion on this.

Based on the matches he had with Jol's squad and the matches we had after 1 window, i'd say Rene left us in better shape than what he recieved it in. Not saying he was brilliant but I still think it's harsh to sack a man after two matches with a team he'd had influence in creating and bringing in decent players AND picking up a point away at Old Trafford. (should of had a point at home to Pool too.....)

Hope i'm wrong and Felix is the bee's knee's but im skeptical and think we will be similar in setup to Jols tenure with a lack of energy of youth and an over reliance on the older players with an average aged team of 30+ again.

I'm speculating obviously but the optimist in me is gone. Feel free to pick it to pieces but its an educated guess.
Rene did excellent, but lost precious points at home and against teams Fulham is competing directly for making the cut
Don't get me wrong, he had to deal with Jol s left overs. And for that, he should have been awarded a medal. And that is my only regret. To have seen how he would have done with his own

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Snibbo

Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 20, 2014, 05:57:01 AM
Rene did excellent

See I just don't understand that. 6-0 thrashing by Hull. 1-0 loss at home to a league 1 side. Bottom of the form table. Bottom of the league. A couple of park the bus performances that yielded 1 point and 5 goals conceded.

I think we were swayed by what a nice guy he seems to be, and I don't doubt he is. But I don't think by any stretch of the imagination, he can be said to have been 'excellent'.