watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Magarth lays into Rene - Daily Mail

Started by Lighthouse, February 19, 2014, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Magath lays into predecessor Meulensteen for having no philosophy at Fulham and 'destabilising' the team
By Kit Holden
PUBLISHED: 11:36, 19 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:54, 19 February 2014
View
comments

Barely has Felix Magath had time to inflate the medicine balls at Motspur Park, and he is already making waves.

Following the replacement of Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley with his own support staff, the Fulham coach has now launched a stinging attack on his predecessor Rene Meulensteen.

In an interview with the German weekly magazine 'SportBild', Magath accused Meulensteen of having no structure to his philosophy, and of having 'destabilised' the team.

Making his mark: Felix Magath has made sweeping changes behind the scenes since arriving at Fulham and has now criticised predecessor Rene Meulensteen (below)

'My predecessor let them play very attacking football for four games. Then he suddenly rearranged the defence, and that destabilised the whole team,' said Magath, adding: 'my most important task is to bring in a clear structure'.

The 60-year-old made a point of saying that he is 'focused only on Fulham', but did admit that, had it not been for the infamous internal politics of former club Hamburg, he would not have come to London at all.

Magath had offered to take over at crisis hit Hamburg until the end of the season in order to save his old club from relegation, but he joined Fulham at the very last minute.

Gone: Magath had offered to take charge of former club Hamburg when Bert van Marwijk was sacked last week but he went to Fulham instead

It was a decision which German legend and serial provocateur Lothar Matthaus criticised earlier this week, saying that 'Magath messed a lot of people around (in his discussions with Hamburg)'.

Magath responded angrily today, saying 'I didn't mess anybody around. I played with my cards on the table, and was clear that I had other options, but there wasn't a universal support for me in the club.'

The Fulham manager also confirmed that he had offered to work at Hamburg without a salary, to soften the blow of departing coach Bert van Marwijk's €3m pay off. According to most media reports, though, this offer came with the catch 22 of a €1m reward for keeping Hamburg up.

Clear out: Ray Wilkins was also removed as Fulham's assistant manager this week

As it transpired, none of that came to pass, and England finally has its first taste of the old school of German coaching as Magath starts at Fulham. And he started in true 'Qualix' style, removing the players' day off to train for this week's game against West Brom.

'No one had a problem with that,' said Magath, 'West Brom are a direct competitor in the relegation fight, and this is probably the most important game in this club's history'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2562846/Felix-Magath-criticises-Rene-Meulensteen-begins-Fulham-tenure.html#ixzz2tluI64Lk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

Interesting.

He's quickly analysed performances under Muelensteen.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Seem to have x-ray eyes
Clean pants ...........................you have been warned  :clap_hands:

Craven Mad

'My predecessor let them play very attacking football for four games. Then he suddenly rearranged the defence, and that destabilised the whole team,'  

- I don't disagree, Rene was learning on the job and wasn't getting the right balance. It did stink of poor planning.

'West Brom are a direct competitor in the relegation fight, and this is probably the most important game in this club's history'.

- I'm glad to see Felix is taking the game seriously.

Harsh words, but don't disagree. I really hope that Magath puts out a strong, well-organised team on Saturday.

FFC1987

I don't really like it but have to agree with it. I'd ask why he did the shift. Did Fester and Curbs sway influence?

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2014, 12:48:44 PM
Magath, adding: 'my most important task is to bring in a clear structure'.

Pleasing to read that this is his primary strategy to help us win matches. Both Hangeland's and Parker's form may have suffered as a result of the way we were playing. Either may find themselves back in the starting XI this weekend.

FFC1987

Quote from: Arthur on February 19, 2014, 01:09:03 PM

Pleasing to read that this is his primary strategy to help us win matches. Both Hangeland's and Parker's form may have suffered as a result of the way we were playing. Either may find themselves back in the starting XI this weekend.

And that would be an improvement?

BishopsParkFantastic

Oh no! I've got quite used to having an unclear structure - it's more challenging and interesting to be in the dark about the next team, how we're going to play.....and how much we're going to lose by  075.gif

Classic94

Quote from: Arthur on February 19, 2014, 01:09:03 PM

Burn and Heitinga is the best CB pairing we have at present. Hangeland has been terrible for getting on a year. Also, who makes way for Parker? Sidwell, Kvist and Holtby have done well.

Zu-Meister

interesting, he must have studied all of our games this season.

Nero

Quote from: Zu-Meister on February 19, 2014, 01:34:46 PM

there was not alot to study under Jol.

Zu-Meister

Quote from: Nero on February 19, 2014, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: Zu-Meister on February 19, 2014, 01:34:46 PM

there was not alot to study under Jol.
ha, yeah, i was thinking that. probably just skipped the tape to where it began with rene.

Pluto

How did Rene "rearrange our defence". If anything he improves it by bringing Burn back and getting Heitinga in. Sorry but I don't buy this at all. Sounds like he's clutching at straws analysis wise.

Also really hope this doesn't mean he'll be dropping Dan for Brede.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Pluto on February 19, 2014, 01:57:07 PM
How did Rene "rearrange our defence". If anything he improves it by bringing Burn back and getting Heitinga in. Sorry but I don't buy this at all. Sounds like he's clutching at straws analysis wise.

Rearranged after four games was what he said and that's true. Initial attacking bounce and then revert to the way things were. Burn came much later and Heitinger two games ago.

I don't care what managers say - it's what they do that matters but Magath is proving that he's analysed how we've been playing which must be the first step in putting things right.

Julius Geezer

The way we started to play under René was what we needed!

The fact things were changed when Curbishley and Wilkins came in set us back and that's probably what Magath is getting at - we conceded alot of goals.

I don't think you can knock René's original attacking philosophy - even if it was a little naive - because it worked and brought confidence into the side.

hn4fulham

Some stern words but good initial words. Good to hear the words of structure and some experience but executing on them is a whole different thing. We'll know in a few matches. I think for him, this next few matches may have been the best ones to take charge of the club. We'll see...we'll see.

Craven Mad

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 19, 2014, 02:02:47 PM

Rearranged after four games was what he said and that's true. Initial attacking bounce and then revert to the way things were. Burn came much later and Heitinger two games ago.

I don't care what managers say - it's what they do that matters but Magath is proving that he's analysed how we've been playing which must be the first step in putting things right.

Spot on.

BishopsParkFantastic

I understand that he is arguing for team structure and organisation that is  BALANCED - to enable effective defence  and attack in the same  match. In that sense, I'm not sure that he is being critical of specific players in key positions?

Fulham 442

I am puzzled by the negative slant to his comment "rearranging our defence".  It certainly needed it after the amount of goals we have shipped this season.  I certainly hopes he keeps Burn and Heitinga in and doesn't recall Brede, who has been awful....Thank God Senderos has gone!!

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: Fulham 442 on February 19, 2014, 02:19:21 PM
I am puzzled by the negative slant to his comment "rearranging our defence".  It certainly needed it after the amount of goals we have shipped this season.  I certainly hopes he keeps Burn and Heitinga in and doesn't recall Brede, who has been awful....Thank God Senderos has gone!!

Possible that against WBA he will put his trust in our players that he 'knows from working with in Germany and other International players that we have'. That may mean Deja for Tunnicliffe, Hangeland for Burn, and Parker for Sidwell plus Mitralou instead of bent.