watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Definitely Relegated Now

Started by fulhams_finest, February 20, 2014, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thamesbank

Why? whats wrong with being positive - he's never been relegated before after all.

PokerMatt

"I am sure we will avoid relegation with this team," said Magath, 60.

It's hardly a guarantee. What's the difference between "I am confident" and "I am sure", really?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

copthornemike

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 20, 2014, 02:52:31 PM

It's hardly a guarantee. What's the difference between "I am confident" and "I am sure", really?

Remember English is not his 'mother tongue.' To be honest bearing in mind this is his first position in England he comes across very well - very direct and to the point.

Fulham76

Well I wouldn't want him to come out & say he thinks we're going down!

General

There is a huge difference in the two phrases. I am confident is less confident that stating I am sure. Sure states a knowing and somewhat of a certainty and guarantee - confident has a more cautious way of wording it. It's not committing to the guarantee.

PokerMatt

Quote from: General on February 20, 2014, 04:04:46 PM

There is a huge difference in the two phrases. I am confident is less confident that stating I am sure. Sure states a knowing and somewhat of a certainty and guarantee - confident has a more cautious way of wording it. It's not committing to the guarantee.

To a German who speaks reasonable, if not fluent, English?

I think to him both phrases will have a similar meaning.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

JHaynes Paperboy

I must agree, there is a lot to be lost from the German to English translation.
e.g. Neville Chamberlain. " In my hand I have a piece of paper saying Germany will not invade Poland." "Peace in our time"
Adolf Hitler. " Invade Poland"

Buffalo76

Quote from: Fulham76 on February 20, 2014, 03:01:32 PM
Well I wouldn't want him to come out & say he thinks we're going down!

:plus one:

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhams_finest on February 20, 2014, 02:47:01 PM
BAD OMENS:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26276721

Good omens in my view. Why on God's green Earth would we want any manager who wouldn't be so confident as to speak his goals. If he's not sure, then no one will be.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Andy S

Jol Rene Wilkins curbishly are all experienced coaches If they cant save us how will McGath. He can go on about fitness as much as he likes but there is no way that players are not fit this time of the season unless they are carrying injuries. He cannot cure them

RolandAJ

I spoke with my wife's German cousin and he thinks that FM is the right man for a team in our position. 
Honestly, there's nothing to lose.  When the club decided to manage by committee, something went awry.  I mean even further awry.   In desperate times there needs to be one vision and one leader.  We now have this unity. 
I can't wait to see what it looks like against Albion.

I should mention that the cousin supports Hamburg and wanted Felix for his team.  If Felix does save our Fulham and Hamburg goes down, Horst will be more than a little bitter!

COYW!!!

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

Roberty

Quote from: Andy S on February 20, 2014, 05:14:44 PM
Jol Rene Wilkins curbishly are all experienced coaches If they cant save us how will McGath. He can go on about fitness as much as he likes but there is no way that players are not fit this time of the season unless they are carrying injuries. He cannot cure them

They may well have been experienced coaches but the the way the team has performed this season demonstrates exactly what Magath said - no consistent plan or organisation regarding the way the team should play.

The table does not tell lies - we are where we are because we deserve to be.

If the player are not good enough - we have no hope - if they are good enough and the general opinion is that they are it has to be a management issue.

So Felix may be the saviour we have been looking for all season because if nothing else he does have a clear plan and one that will be relentlessly drummed into the players. So do as I say will no longer be optional and any transgressors will be spending a long time on the naughty chair while he stirs his cup of tea.

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Andy S on February 20, 2014, 05:14:44 PM

Whilst I'm not so sure he can save us and I have my doubts, I would argue that neither Rene nor Meulensteen have ever been successful as managers and Curbishley was successful a long time ago, the game has changed a lot since. Furthermore there are rumours that the system of management didn't work.
I'm not sure I want to see Magath stay with us long term, historically things go pear shaped after a year or two but short term he has a good record.

hovewhite

We've lacked a settled and trusted system since the middle of last season.results don't lie.

F(f)CUK

One of the signs that QPR were going down last season was when they talked about needing x wins with y games remaining. You then looked at their record and said - they have not won x games all season, why should they suddenly believe that they can win these games now.

Meulensteen said 7 and Magath says 6.