watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Felix Magath way?

Started by FPT, February 20, 2014, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

I was just researching his title winning Wolfsburg team, and his Bayern Munich side; and there is a clear collation in style and shape. Felix likes the 442, with a blend in the middle and players that can get the ball into the box outwide.

Bayern 04/05:

Kahn
Sagnol Lucio Demichelis Lizarazu
Schweinsteiger Hargreaves Ballack Salihamidžić
Makaay Pizarro

Some of you will have completely forgotten, but when he was breaking through, Schweinsteiger was played at right midfield, there's no point in saying he didn't because he did. He and Salihamidžić were both told to feed the two strikers along with Michael Ballack, with Owen Hargreaves the defensive solidity of the side.

Wolfsburg 08/09:

Benaglio
Riether Madlung Barzagli Schafer
Dejagah Misimovic Josue Genter
Dzeko Grafite

Again, Dejagah and Genter were tasked with getting the ball in the box, with Misimovic providing goals and creativity from the middle and Josue would be the water carrier.

How would it work at Fulham?

Stekelenburg
Riether Heitinga Burn Riise
Dejagah Kvist Holtby Richardson
Mitroglou Bent

Obviously, we won't know what he's trying to do until 3pm on Saturday, but if he follows his ritual, this could be the kind of team we see played on Saturday.

I can't wait!

horse1031

I like the 4 4 2 and it is a formation that Fulham has done well with in the past with the right players.

Stek

Reither    Heitenga    Hangeland    Riise

Dejegah     Sidwell     Kvist     Richardson

Holtby       Bent

chiefo

Have just read this from BBC, good article. There are a few Magath threads on the go, so Mods feel free to move or delete if already posted.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26265494

JackyFulham90

A 4-4-2 would be very brave. We would certainly be threatening going forward but we would be very open if we played 2 proper strikers with a creative midfielder aswell. I should imagine the best side would be

Stekelenburg
                      Bent Mitraglou

FPT

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 20, 2014, 10:24:40 PM
A 4-4-2 would be very brave. We would certainly be threatening going forward but we would be very open if we played 2 proper strikers with a creative midfielder aswell. I should imagine the best side would be

Stekelenburg
                      Bent Mitraglou

Another possibility could be Tankovic as a second striker, creating a 4141 with the ball and a 451 without it.

4141:

-----------Steks
------------Kvist
Dejagah Tankovic Holtby Richardson
----------Mitroglou

451:

-----------Steks
Dejagah Tankovic Kvist Holtby Richardson
----------Mitroglou

Bryanthebroom

------------------Steks--------------
Riether--Heitinga---Hangeland--Riise
------------------Kvist---------------
-------------Sidwell------------------
Dejagah---------Holtby-------Richardson
--------------Mitroglou-------------

That's the side I'd start with if I was Felix

PokerMatt

As far as I know he's quite a fan of the diamond midfield four.

In this case I'm not sure he'd choose Holtby as the head of it or as the deeper of the two strikers. I'd be a bit concerned about our defence if he plays this way as I'm not sure our wingers have the ability to tuck inside as well as play with width and the back four might be exposed with the wingers getting forward. But...

-----------Stek
------------Kvist
Dejagah  Holtby Richardson
------Mitroglou Bent

Might something like that work? Perhaps Tunny for Dejagah to help defensively? Even though it's quite attacking, with wingers who can track back I could see it working.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Baszab

German national and international teams have been fairly successful in the last 40 years - perhaps they know something we don't

FPT

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 21, 2014, 11:13:52 AM

In this case I'm not sure he'd choose Holtby as the head of it or as the deeper of the two strikers. I'd be a bit concerned about our defence if he plays this way as I'm not sure our wingers have the ability to tuck inside as well as play with width and the back four might be exposed with the wingers getting forward. But...

-----------Stek
------------Kvist
------Mitroglou Bent

Might something like that work? Perhaps Tunny for Dejagah to help defensively? Even though it's quite attacking, with wingers who can track back I could see it working.

Good point, though without the ball, I assume that turns into two banks of four. That's why I thought Tankovic, to drop into midfield at times create almost a 451/4141.

PokerMatt

Quote from: FPT on February 21, 2014, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: PokerMatt on February 21, 2014, 11:13:52 AM

-----------Stek
------------Kvist
------Mitroglou Bent

Good point, though without the ball, I assume that turns into two banks of four. That's why I thought Tankovic, to drop into midfield at times create almost a 451/4141.

Yeah, I think it's likely to be something along those lines, owing to the fact that we're not blessed with top quality strikers.

Holtby with Tank would easily turn into a 442 on the ball anyway when one of them joins the attack.

Personally though, I think Holtby is the key to whether we stay up or not and as such he needs to be the main man in #10 for me. Playing him deeper or too high up would be a mistake. It's a difficult call.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Zu-Meister

Amorebieta, stekelenburg and mitroglou having fitness tests today.