watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Learning the squad ... again.

Started by DukeTyrion, February 22, 2014, 08:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeTyrion

When Rene first arrived he wasn't sure of his best squad, or how to use them. He experimented, tried some things and, in the January window, finally brought in his own players. Against Man U and Liverpool we really looked like a team that had turned the corner, albeit I did get the impression at times that Rene was learning on the job.

Now the new manager has come in and seems to have picked a team based on what I can only presume is performance in training, as we seem to have gone backwards slightly with the team that is actually out on the pitch. I was hoping some of the insight from Rene would have found it's way to Felix, but I am not entirely sure that is the case.

I do get the feeling Felix will eventually get the best out of the players he has, I just don't think he has the time to make the same selection errors of previous managers.

I really thought we were going to win today, until I saw the team sheet. I guess the only good news is, FM has a game against Chelsea to 'test' the team, before we travel to Cardiff for our next (and one of many) must win game.

Whitesideup

Good, thoughtful post. The worrying element not stated is that in fact we are no better off than we were before...although I suspect much poorer if our new owner wants us to be "financially sustainable".

fulhamben

Sadly I feel we are back to square one. Think the Chelsea game will give us a good indication as to where we are going. Result wise, I think we all expect to lose. But I'm interested to know if he is going to try some youth ala René or go all jol on us and just stick with the same core just hoping they might do better.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

One Martin Thomas

Think you hit the nail perfectly on the head...  players were picked on reputation as opposed to current form.

LBNo11

...I posted something similar of the FoF facebook page two hours ago:-

"another manager has arrived, he has to look at the options in training and again looks for experience as the criteria for keeping a steady ship. What the managers see on the training pitch doesn't necessarily match on-field first team performance and we lack pace. It's not easy to get the mix right and Magath has got to do this in superfast time. As frustrating as this last few weeks has being we have no option but to give Felix our complete support no matter what the results are. The players must be supported until the last game, the last goal, the last point"...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

Didn't think the subs helped much but glad he tinkered when he did. But Parker should have left for Kvist and once Richardson went we lacked any get out clause other than Dejagah.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rockieroad

Don't think Felix rates any thing Meulensteen done. So he just shrugged at the previous team selections Rene made. Personally think Magath screwed that up. I'm more frustrated with this draw than when we lost to Liverpool

fulhamben

Quote from: rockieroad on February 22, 2014, 08:34:27 PM
Don't think Felix rates any thing Meulensteen done. So he just shrugged at the previous team selections Rene made. Personally think Magath screwed that up. I'm more frustrated with this draw than when we lost to Liverpool
which is quite ironic. Didnt he mention Rene's teams getting tired, parking the bus and about how we should be able to see games out with 15 to go. Hopefully th8s was a demonstration of how it went wrong and we will come out and dent Chelsea's tittle hopes in the next game
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

DukeTyrion

Quote from: rockieroad on February 22, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Exactly, I think ignoring the lessons from previous games (even under a prior manager) is a huge mistake, as we do not have time for him to learn the same lessons.