watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Match fit/ 100% fit

Started by cookieg, February 23, 2014, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cookieg

My days of being a supreme athlete are long gone and being match fit meant being able to have a couple of cans of Stella on the way to a game and playing without throwing up but what does match fit mean these days?

How does a player/club know when someone is 100% fit. Obviously barring an injury who makes that decision that a player is fit to play?

With Mitroglou he has played 2 u21s so why isn't he fit enough to start a game - I know he has had an injury and coming back but he must be ready to start.

So if anyone out there has knowledge of these things please share.

RidgeRider

I'm no expert on what being match fit for a professional football match but as an athlete who trains and competes, being match fit means you can do everything you need to be able to do physically (and mentally) to positively impact the team.....90 minutes of of hard intervals, basically. Footballers have to have aerobic fitness (to last 90 minutes) and anaerobic fitness (to sprint and explode and recover quickly) along with total freedom of supple body movement.

My guess is with Mitro's knee injury, he lacks the ability, or some confidence in his ability, to move in a supple manner, which is supremely important in football since there is so much skill involved. If he is worried about injuring his knee again, he won't be as aggressive as necessary and hence look slow, and uninterested in the process.

Since his injury has been to his knee, its likely his anaerobic fitness (and aerobic fitness) is off because he wouldn't be able to train as hard as necessary to get his anaerobic fitness where it needs to be. Players need to be able to explode, recover, and explode again, over and over.

YankeeJim

So Ridgie, are you saying because I can't make it up the 1/4 mile 5% grade I live on my bike, that I'm not match fit? I make it down ok. I should say that my bike is a relic from the past, no gears, just a comfortable seat. Ideal for an old fat guy.   092.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.