watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reputation of FFC

Started by Tempest, February 25, 2014, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Is seemingly not great at the moment. I've kind of felt we were almost everyone's favourite 2nd club in the not so distant past but at the moment, reading forums, articles and comments there are a lot of fans of other clubs wishing we go down as a result of our club's actions this season. Obviously pundits are giving us a kicking too.

You can of course look at it both ways, we've treated players/managers harshly or they haven't got results and had to go.

Its just a shame that quaint little old Fulham are managing to irritate people for the wrong reasons,  be odds on favourites to be relegated, few people care and some even looking forward to us not being in the PL next season if we do go down.

Must admit, whether we're right or wrong to have done what we've done, would be nice to see some stability here for a bit.

Live in Falmouth!

keith

We've been unpopular since Al Fayed took over. We were peoples Second club when we had Tommy Trinder in charge, as he often joked about us in his act and on Television. You say that we've treated Players/Managers harshly, well, people have been calling for Jols head since last Season and that certain players, Berbatov and Ruiz, to name but two, should be sold or loaned out, well now they have moved on. As a supporter of over Forty Years, I've seen worse situations that the club has had to suffer and, I think eventually, we'll turn it around again.

TonyGilroy

I'm not really bothered. As has been said by Magath - no one died.

The decision making this season has been pitiful but hopefully that's a learning curve for Khan. We don't know the dynamics between him and Mackintosh but moving forward there has to be a stronger sense of a committed strategy.

MAF took a few years to get it right. Khan is a massively successful, wealthy self made man so he'll know how to do things but there may be further victims to come.

The media will have fun but they'll move on to another club soon enough.

RaySmith

Quote from: keith on February 25, 2014, 08:49:54 AM
We've been unpopular since Al Fayed took over. We were peoples Second club when we had Tommy Trinder in charge, as he often joked about us in his act and on Television. You say that we've treated Players/Managers harshly, well, people have been calling for Jols head since last Season and that certain players, Berbatov and Ruiz, to name but two, should be sold or loaned out, well now they have moved on. As a supporter of over Forty Years, I've seen worse situations that the club has had to suffer and, I think eventually, we'll turn it around again.

Yes, we were popular as a second team for people because we were a bit of a joke - a comedian as  chairman who didn't appear to take the club seriously, and we also featured in comedies like Citizen Smith - about a loser, who happened to be a Fulham  fan and always wore a black and white scarf......supporting Fulham was a metaphor for his  loser status, someone full of big ideas, but you knew it would all end in farce.

I never had a problem with this perception - we were viewed affectionately, and it seemed to have at least some accuracy - but with  MAF we were seen to have serious ambitions, and gained Prem status, and  are, against every pundit's predictions, still there - just about.

And now, we have another chairman who takes us seriously - and is prepared to spend to protect his investment.

Yes, this has all been handled badly - Khan has had little time to judge to judge things and take action - and now maybe too late - but no one can doubt his  serious intention to keep Fulham as a Prem club.

Yes, the media are laughing and throwing up their hands - they just want us to be little old Fulham, that they can patronise, but if Khan's actions save us, then he'll be a hero, and if not, I'm sure he'll make every effort to get us back up.

General

We've been unpopular since Al Fayed took over.

Not sure that is at all accurate. I have been supporting since al fayed took over, to most people we were a quaint irrelevance before he took over. We definitely became people's second team under al fayed and in many ways still are, but this reputation has taken a bit of a whack due to khans unstable mismanagement. Before hand this club was known for being run sensibly and for the most part al fayed hardly entered people's minds when critiquing this club, because they knew that as far as the club went it was well run and he gave a lot to the club in order to do so.

We were always seen as a team that was solid (as far as playing in the premiership went) and for a while hard to beat, especially at home, and capable of beating quite a few teams on our day.

To say we haven't been people's second team since al fayed took over is just crap.. Almost delusional.

We had tonnes of support and articles written about us when we got to the Europa league final with everyone coming out of all nooks and crannies saying we were everyone's second team.

Of course we're not everyone's, but more than most.

epsomraver

General

Quote from: RaySmith on February 25, 2014, 09:22:10 AM

Yes, we were popular as a second team for people because we were a bit of a joke - a comedian as  chairman who didn't appear to take the club seriously, and we also featured in comedies like Citizen Smith - about a loser, who happened to be a Fulham  fan and always wore a black and white scarf......supporting Fulham was a metaphor for his  loser status, someone full of big ideas, but you knew it would all end in farce.

I never had a problem with this perception - we were viewed affectionately, and it seemed to have at least some accuracy - but with  MAF we were seen to have serious ambitions, and gained Prem status, and  are, against every pundit's predictions, still there - just about.

And now, we have another chairman who takes us seriously - and is prepared to spend to protect his investment.

Yes, this has all been handled badly - Khan has had little time to judge to judge things and take action - and now maybe too late - but no one can doubt his  serious intention to keep Fulham as a Prem club.

Yes, the media are laughing and throwing up their hands - they just want us to be little old Fulham, that they can patronise, but if Khan's actions save us, then he'll be a hero, and if not, I'm sure he'll make every effort to get us back up.

Just goes to show how much of this is in our heads and generational... My generation all rated Fulham and thought it was a nicely run club with good teams for the most part. Had no awareness or care for the views of the old times.

As far as we were concerned everyone was happy for Fulham.

Burt

I think we still have an OK reputation.

We are certainly not on anyone's "hate" list, at worst to some we may be more like an annoying little sibbling, and most people you talk to have fond memories of a trip to a traditional ground in a unique setting.

Even now, most of the comments you get are jokey "got a new manager today" type ones rather than any bitterness and bile.

PokerMatt

Being other people's second team - and most people I know have a soft spot for us - means that we aren't feared.

If khan proves himself ruthless, and successful doing it, then we might be hated but along with that might come some teams fearing us too. I'd take that. I don't want other PL teams to think we're sweet.

Of course the big caveat to the above is the successful part. If we go down without a whimper now we'll be a laughing stock which is the worst of the three options.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

JBH

Quote from: Tempest on February 25, 2014, 08:30:43 AM
Is seemingly not great at the moment. I've kind of felt we were almost everyone's favourite 2nd club in the not so distant past but at the moment, reading forums, articles and comments there are a lot of fans of other clubs wishing we go down as a result of our club's actions this season. Obviously pundits are giving us a kicking too.

You can of course look at it both ways, we've treated players/managers harshly or they haven't got results and had to go.

Its just a shame that quaint little old Fulham are managing to irritate people for the wrong reasons,  be odds on favourites to be relegated, few people care and some even looking forward to us not being in the PL next season if we do go down.

Must admit, whether we're right or wrong to have done what we've done, would be nice to see some stability here for a bit.

Most pundits have been giing us a kicking since we were promoted and have predicted that we would be relegated every year so personally I don't give a Monkey's

Max Headroom

The management of the team has been a shambles but everyone still loves us. Honest :)