watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View From Chelski UPDATED

Started by terryr, February 27, 2014, 01:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

As they have been pretty much focussed on Istanbul, there isn't much. Some funny stuff towards the end ( made me laugh anyway) I'll update tomorrow- Updated halfway down

" Getting the thread started ready for whatever fallout we get from the Gala game.
"Going to Fulham is the first of 4 London derby's in the next five league matches. Getting a minimum of twelve points from these five games (including beating Arsenal) is what I feel we will need if we are to have a good chance of winning the title.
Fulham have not been so great this season, and have changed manager again so making them a different animal. Even with that said though we should, and we need to, still be able to produce enough to make the short trip back to the Bridge with three points.
Ladies and Gentleman, here is where "squeaky bum time" begins imo.
Come on Chelsea!"

" Ba
Hazard Oscar salah
Lamps matic
Cole Cahill Iva Dave
Cech
New coach is right, but as it were he joked about how his team will getter better and no big deal its chelsea! thats the attitude! Should be a classic beginning to the derby season 4-1
Blues too much for Fulham without berba and tarrabt "

" Agreed!
Need a convincing win here to send a message to the rest of the local teams we've got coming up locally.
- Salah and Matic are the obvious start
- Maybe even rest Cech and bring in Schwarzer
- Cole NEEDS to start this one
- Ake to get a run out too
The rest, TBH, will have to depend on the Gala game... We already got a few with some niggling injuries.
3-0 Chelsea (Salah to get his first goal)"

" going to smash them don't give a sh*t, win lose or draw tonight"

" I am always stunned by how overly confident some people go into some of our EPL fixtures.
We'll see a team sheet not too different to that against Gala, except with Matic, Eto'o and perhaps Oscar to come back into it."

" Not looking forward to this.
Last few performances have been absolutely dire."

"  Gonna be harder me thinks after that slog in Turkey and returning home to a local derby.
Mancini has his say on the PL title race: http://www1.skysport...-premier-league
Gonna be "easy" for City he thinks. Wonder if MrSkyBlue agrees with his sides former manager."

" I just want to see some kind of improvement in attack.  "

" Chelsea at present are struggling when up against teams deploying a two striker system, and also when their opponents narrow the space and place pressure across the park, particularly on the free, fluid roles of the front three. The tactics make sense, as the wonder football at the start of the campaign owes its dues largely to the individual skills of Malouda, Drogba and Anelka working in tandem and harmony with one another.
But now teams are taking the "Sunderland model" and forcing the players into quicker, pressurised decisions, rather than having the time to pick the right pass.
Teams are also nullifying the threat of Ashley Cole by issuing one of their own with the encompassing task of man-marking Ashley Cole. Even when Cole is in a striking position, his marker is on his goal side. The best example of this is Kieran Richardson's superb job in the shock 0-3 defeat.
I won't go into providing solutions as I'm certainly no world class coach. At the age of just 16 I'm really only getting started on the journey to replacing Ancelotti.
At the end of the day there is only so much that chalkboards and stats can tell you. Sometimes teams have blimps and off-days, for us it's all come at once. But you have to have faith."

" London Derby, Fulham are at the bottom of the table but are not relegated just yet, its very tight and they are looking at getting points anyway they can. This will be a very tough game, they were unlucky to lose against LIverpool at home and unlucky to draw West Brom, so are on a somewhat good run of form from their perspective.
We need to be focused, I'm worried especially after our recent run in form, we haven't been controlling matches which is a BIG worry, we can't hold posession and some of our players look out of it, tired/fatigued, out of form, bad going forward. We don't have the same combination we had when Mata was on the pitch, Hazard, Willian, Oscar and schurrle are not linking up well. They all hold onto teh ball instead of passing it around, moving teh ball, quick passing. Whilst our CM's are in a panick, long balls in no mans land.
We have 11 EPL games left, I don't care how we do it but we need to take all 3 points here. Given some players did not feature against Galatasaray I expect some rotation, well I hope there is some rotation. Unfortunately I just don't see Hazard being rested, I feel for him, how can you get the best out of a player when he is playing every match. I also expect Luiz, Matic and Oscar back in. I'd like to see Cole get a match but don't see Mourinho changign that back line.
Probable Line-up:
....................................................................Cech
Ivanovic......................................Cahill..........................Terry..............................Azpilicueta
.................................................Luiz.............................Matic
Salah...........................................................Oscar.............................................Hazard
...................................................................Eto"

" I can't see us win this game. Relegation teams playing at home at this stage always plays that little better. And the fact it's a derby will make this game even harder. Also the midweek game + long journey home might take its toll.
And we're already playing this saturday. (Debbie Downer represent)
I won't bench Schürrle, I thought he was playing a good game against GS, especially in the first half! He should be rewarded a start to get more matchritme in the first place.
I'll be satisfied with a draw tbh.
......................Cech..............................
Ivanovic........Cahill........Terry........Azpi
...........Lampard.............Matic......
Schürrle..............Oscar...............Hazard
......................Eto'o............................."

"The title is not in our hands so we can't afford to drop anymore point.. have to win this one.. lots of derbies next month so that should save us some time from traveling..

It's difficult situation regarding hazard, at the moment we don't seem to be able to create any spark without him so we need him but human body can only take so much... How on earth we're left with this situation again? oh I remember, someone's style.."

" It is with a little sadness that I begin this weather report for the Fulham match as this is, almost certainly, the last I will write about Fulham for quite a while.
Next season Fulham can go back to hating Brentford and we can continue to despise Barcelona. Balance in west London will be restored and looks likely to remain restored for many years to come.
Fulham were, for all their shrill insults directed towards us, one of the first clubs to buy their way to success and with the departure of Mo Fayed, that success looks likely to depart as well.
Without Premier League football, Fulham's cohort (one cannot say "army") of fans will drift away to the Stoop or spend their Saturdays pushing the baby stoller along the river banks.
Fulham's support reflects modern Fulham, a Fulham that is visible by through a short walk or cycle ride along the river.
Start in Chelsea on the Chelsea Embankment with its magnificent affluence and wonderful old houses with river views coupled with the bohemian house boats stranded upon the mud of low tide. Chelsea as it has been for decades.
Head down Lots Road and at the Lots Road Pub turn left towards Chelsea Harbour. Here we see how Chelsea has developed. Chelsea Flour Mills whose painted name I used to read as a kid as I walked across Battersea Bridge with my father anticipating the game ahead, is gone and redeveloped. New luxury flats have emerged from the industrial and mercantile past. Imperial Wharf station, a beacon to modern communication.
Chelsea combines the old with the new and is a glorious statement of modernity, tradition and affluence.
And then we move towards Fulham.
The very name Fulham derives from it muddy nature.
A mud flat prone to flooding.
While Chelsea was affluent from Tudor times, Fulham was distinctly working class.
Posh people built houses that wouldn't be flooded.
Poor people built houses where they could afford.
Across Wandsworth Bridge Road, past the PC World, and Hitchclock and King, builders' yards interspersed with terraces of small houses and council housing. Now many of those builder's yards are being readied for construction of yuppie flats and with the demise, jobs are departing.
Round the corner into Broomhouse Lane and isolated among some undistinguished buildings is a wonderful neo-Tudor folly and then on the left Hurlingham Park and on the right the wonderfully named Daisy Lane and then Sullivan Court.
Sullivan Court is what Fulham has always been about. A large estate of affordable housing for people who work. "For Sale" signs betray the impact of Right to Buy.
Hurlingham Park is what Fulham has become. The rugby pitches outnumber football pitches and occasionally the park is closed for a festival of polo.
As we turn left into Hurlingham Road, Victorian terraces, gentrified over the decades and now worth millions, dominate. A solidly professional middle class bastion. The Fulham of today. The Fulham of the future.
The people who live there are City and Canary Wharf types, probably slumming it a little in Fulham so that they can also afford a weekend place in Gloucestershire of Hampshire. They were born and raised elsewhere. They spend their weekends elsewhere. They will retire elsewhere. No part of the community.
Between Sullivan Close and those edifices to modern urban affluence, is a building now threatened with demolition: The Sullivan. A primary school run by the local education authority, one of the top 2% in the country and which has won many awards and accolades. A great school giving a leg up to poorer kids from the area whose parents cannot afford private tutors and skiing holidays.
It is to be demolished to make way for a "Free School". A secondary school funded by the taxpayer and to be developed as a political experiment. While that school might be very useful and the experiment might succeed, the Sullivan is very useful and known to be useful and works well and with the Sullivan's demise, more of the heart of the area will be ripped out.
Fulham will become even more of a haven for the soulless Zoopla brigade.
More 4x4s will clog the roads around Hurlingham Park and the Hurlingham Club as Tarquin and Priscilla are taken to their rugby and tennis lessons.
And the heart of Fulham's support will dwindle still further.
Fulham was, like the area it serves, a nice gentle working class club.
People enjoyed football and much of their crowd comprised people who watch them on weekend and Chelsea the next. Certainly, the passion with which Fulham was supported, reflected this. Ticket prices and the ease of away travel have done much to end this and now only a few hold season tickets at both grounds.
Instead Fulham's support comes from the soulless yuppies who live around Hurlingham Park and beyond.
People who like a bit of sport but without passion.
People who like rugby most of all.
People who go to Fulham because it is Premier League football and you can see Rooney play there once a year.
People who wear red trousers.
People who buy half and half scarves.
People who will desert the club if Rooney and Nasri are not to be seen again.
And this is why we may never visit Fulham again except if the random selection of a cup draw should send us there.
It is sad, but we will carry on.
It is going to be mild, damp but not too windy on Saturday. While it might start dry, rain will develop. Highs of 8 degrees dropping to a chilly 1 degree; a colder night than we have become accustomed to. Winds light at 7mph from the west north west.
Sunrise 06:46. Sunset 17:41, just before the final whistle. The equinox is only three weeks away.
Another day for a waterproof jacket and decent boots. Bishops Park can get rather muddy; rather like Fulham itself. Not a day for shorts. Please no shorts.
Remember, you are Chelsea and Chelsea is style."

" How can you get away with such an insult.....lol a few pennies more in your outlet store Versace jeans doesn't make you a better person or a more serious football fan...would you write the same crap as a columnist the week before Liverpool comes to visit your poshey Chelsea about their fans...good luck ;-) Hilarious and ridiculous the same time it looks to me you need professional help not for the stage of self importance you are already in I think there is still a chance to cure your other disorder just ask someone to change the medication for you..........you are creating a bad karma for your team and it might be your ball kicking friends are getting punished for that......"

" I am responding to the recent Driver's Weather Report an hilarious, pseudo- academic article, presumably written as a sort of preview of the Fulham v Chelsea match on Saturday but rather pretending to be an erudite, educational and witty historical piece on the steady and gradual demise of Fulham FC.
This patronising bit of verbiage starts off lamenting the "little sadness" felt that this is "almost certainly the last I will write about Fulham for quite a while.." Obviously by this , The Driver is saying that Fulham FC will be relegated and will then disappear down the leagues. The Driver qualifies this in the whole of the article with an analysis of the changing demography in Fulham over the last 40 years and (his?) assessment of modern Fulham's support suggesting that without Premiership football the crowd (or cohort "one cannot say "army" as he chortles about the support) numbers will go down.
I have never really been one of those Fulham supporters that hate Chelsea FC. In fact members of my extended family support the club (we are all from the area.) I have been down to Chelsea loads of times over the years from the 70s when I was old enough to go to matches. However, I always preferred and loved Fulham. Fulham's ground was better, the support a hell of a lot friendlier and in spite of Fulham being invariably in the lower divisions I could never swap Craven Cottage for the likes of Stamford Bridge.
Stamford Bridge may have had the glamour footballers (loved Alan Hudson, Charlie Cook etc.) but the crowd was always menacing, brutal and downright scary. I have never seen the home crowd fighting each other the amount of times I have seen it at the Bridge. The stadium was also uncomfortable and in those days falling apart.
I do not know about the "shrill insults" directed at Chelsea from Fulham supporters for buying success. All I do know is that if Fayed had not bought Fulham then some wealthy benefactor would invariably have stepped in . No Premiership club can get anywhere without one. It's just that some of these backers are billionaires and it is no accident that the richest clubs in this country win all the prizes. Do not forget that Chelsea were hours away from going out of business under Ken Bates and could not in their wildest dreams have believed a Russian Oligarch would come in with his billions. That is why you can patronisingly state that Fulham can go back to hating Brentford and of course big, rich successful Chelsea can now mention themselves in the same breath as Barcelona. Believe me Chelskie have a long, long way to go before anyone remotely unbiased would ever contemplate a valid comparison in terms of trophies, support , history and above all culture.
Yes Fulham was working class and now isn't. Yes the support has changed and there are people who just go down there to watch Rooney once a season but there are also passionate supporters who will watch Fulham in any division and have done so in the past. The support may dwindle if Fulham are relegated but who is to say that Fulham will not go straight back up and if they do not then so what. The club is well run and has enough of a fan base to survive. The youth set up is very promising, Mr Khan will ensure stability, eventually of that I am sure and Fulham will rise once more. In addition, do not forget Chelsea's support has changed too and for most of the reasons you described about Fulham's modern support (they no longer live in the area, are not working class etc.) The whole demographic life of London has changed so it is hardly surprising that it would be the case with football crowds too. I know three people who do not go to Chelsea anymore because "it is not the same as it used to be". There is no doubt that the atmosphere at the Bridge has changed dramatically –lack of passion, lack of knowledge of players and the game (did you see that spoof reporter making up names of players coming to Chelsea in the transfer window and most supporters interviewed ranted on in some length about these totally fabricated names of players) and worst of all at Chelsea there is the arrogant and overly aggressive way the fans are treated by huge guerrilla type bouncers if they dare to stand up in a seated area. Surely .Proof then that the skinheads and hooligans from the 70s and 80s have been replaced by the passive, non-passionate prawn sandwich munching brigade.
Fulham FC is the oldest London Club. Chelsea was only born because Fulham rejected a move to Stamford Bridge which by the way is in Fulham itself. Just think you could all be Fulham supporters and what a shame you would not be able to mention or see Barcelona but you'd be a much nicer people for it."

Updated Below

"Wonder how much the game yesterday took out of the lads, and how much the change of manager has impacted Fulham.
A little worried about this game, think we could be in for a long 90 minutes."

" Resting our GK, out of all people, in a very important match is absolutely insane
I mean are Fulham really that much worse than WBA? Due to our lack of firepower, nthere will be no easy points for us in the EPL. Conceding just once in a match means that most likely we wont be getting the 3 points"

" This is the "business end" of the season, and I can't see us making wholesale changes as if it was an early round Capital One Cup tie.
I expect a couple of changes including Luiz and Matic back into the side (depending on Luiz's fitness)
I'd also expect Eto'o to probably start ahead of Torres.
I also think these types of games are dangerous.  A side fighting in a very tight relegation battle, neighbourhood derby, nothing for them to lose.  
One thing we should all be aware of, Jose will take a result over an aesthetically appealing match.  So be happy if this is a gritty 0-1 away win.
............................Cech
Ivanovic.....Cahill............Terry......Azpilicueta
....................Luiz.........Matic
....Willian..........Oscar........Hazard
..........................Eto'o

" Hmmm ... 1-1 or win 1-2 ... This will be a lot tighter than it should be ... "

"  just want us to really go for it from the off, get a couple of goals by half-time and coast to a comfortable finish - not too much to ask surely?"
" dont  be too optimistic
every EPL match in the end of the season is a tough one, especially away games. If we wanna win the league, we should fight for the win of each match with the best squad available. Not too much space for rotation.
                  Cech

Ivan   Cahill       Terry       Azpi

Rami         Matic

Willian           Oscar        Hazard

Eto Anyway, hope we can win this ..."

" Listen, this isn't going to be easy.
Despite their position in the table these aren't mugs. They should have nicked a point from Liverfool and got screwed with a penalty in injury time. They are "old in the legs" but that new German manager has been working them hard. As for the Greek bloke, all reports are he's a blinder and he may prove a shock to us. The bookies say Fulham are going down but I don't believe it. They may hit a run of form and shock quite a few. Only thing positive I see is they may throw a spanner in MC's works. If we get a point I'll be happy. Don't think this will go well........"

" Nahhhh they're mugs....stop worrying this is one of the easy games for us and a chance to rest some players"

"  With only 48 hours to prepare for this match I'd expect a few changes.
Cech
Ivanovic
Luiz
Cahill
Cole
Lampard
Matic
Salah
Oscar
Schurrle
Ba "

" This is the PERFECT chance to give people a rest.
Give Cole a game. Give Schurrle and Salah one too.
If I see Willian / Oscar / Hazard, I'll be pissed."

" If this fixture isn't a recipe for disaster I don't know what is!"

" Expect Fulham's best display of the season this Saturday!"

" Will obvs drop points here. Easily dismissed but extremely important point lamps makes. Euro teams on a weds sat or thurs Sunday schedule more often underperform. Coupled with our lack of finishing is a recipe for disaster. Unless hazard had a blinder. "

" We're going to be shattered going into this. Arrival in the early hours Thursday, with the rest of the day off, leaving only Friday for a light workout and recovery and tactical analysis. There are going to be some seriously weary legs out there and because of that I'd make a host of changes, 5 to be exact:
Cech; Dave, Cahill, JT, Cole; Ramires, Matic; Salah, Oscar, Schurrle, Eto'o
Perhaps start Willian/Hazard instead of Salah, as an away derby might not be the best initiation for Salah, but I reckon some changes are a must. Fresh legs are needed now more than ever, and we really have to go all out for a win. Having one or both of Willian/Hazard as well as Lamps/Torres/Ba off the bench as an option means we can change it up later if needed.
This is the type of match we have to win if we want to be champions."

"

I agree that this is a very tricky game off the back of a CL away leg but with Man City not playing we simply have to win it - however we do it and whatever it takes. We must pile the points pressure on them when they aren't playing. An ugly win for us will seemingly be the most beautiful of wins in this.

As for our lineup why not stick Ba up top for starters as he must be fresh having not played much and I think he deserves a chance to give it 55-60 mins to show why he should be playing. Should be extremely hungry. Giving Eto'o and Torres a little rest by making only a potential sub appearance would be good.
Schurrle should also be a definite nailed-on starter (good hard-working player too, I have a lot of time for him), Salah would be a risky one but this might be a chance to give him a go if Hazard is on the bench. Hope Luiz is fit to go alongside Matic (who should be fresh), I'd play Willian for sure here too and on the bench have Ramires, Mikel, Eto'o, Torres. It's very risky to change the defence when we've been playing so well but I think maybe Cole should allow Azpilicueta a rest here as we will NEED Azpilicueta at 100% at the business end of the season.
This is a match where Mourinho will be earning his keep with the lineup he picks as the wrong (tired) one will cost us crucial points and the right one could be a step towards the title."

1) Struggling bottom of the league side  check
2) New Manager known for his discipline check
3) London derby check
4) Away from Stamford Bridge check
5) Post CL midweek game check
Points drop guaranteed. Brace yourself.

"  Yep. All the signs for a dire game and us losing points is already showing it's ugly head.
This is a high risk game. 3 points would be fantastic, regardless of how they are won. We drop points here and mentally I think our challenge is over. I know it might come across as very over the top but our form is in a negative spiral and fatigue is setting in. Keeping a winning mentality will be key.
What scares me is if Magath decides to sit back and defend in numbers while trying to hit us on the break...
If that's what's gonna happen I can't see a place for Ramires. Matic and either Luiz or Lampard at CM for me with our strongest trio as our AMs and Eto'o as our striker. "

"Fulham are absolutely atrocious at the back- we really need to expose that.
They've tended to play both Sidwell and Parker this season, which is a very immobile combination- there can be no excuses for surrendering the midfield like in the last two fixtures. Luckily Matic is available again and I would hope the decision to not play Luiz in midweek was at least partially motivated by this game.
Personally didn't like Schurrle's performance on Wednesday, but perhaps I'm blaming him for Torres running in to all the wrong places. I'm all for easing players in, but if Salah isn't ready for 60 minutes against the bottom team after 6 weeks at the club, then having him is pointless. It's time to use the squad"

" Nothing less than a comfortable victory here. 0-3 Hazard, Luiz, Eto'o"

That's it for the updates as I have a day job..... I'm a bit surprised how cautious they are.
049:gif

Burt

That last bit is good!

Surprised that some are taking a cautious line. I was expecting more arrogance on how we are going to get a thumping.

The reality is that more recently they have been grinding out results and have looked far from convincing. Hopefully it will be a closer match than I am fearing...

Baszab

Honestly overheard in Sainsburys Hampton today - big fat bloke with Chelsea shell suit to wife also in Chelsea hoodie -- "OOer this is the ethnic section - don't want to be seen in here "

horse1031

If ever there was a time for a shock result this would be it.  League leaders Chelsea lose to bottom of the table Fulham...

Would this be the biggest shock result we have had in the Premier League?  It could kick start our bid for survival or... are we going to go out with a whimper.

andy

Quote from: horse1031 on February 27, 2014, 02:53:32 PM
If ever there was a time for a shock result this would be it.  League leaders Chelsea lose to bottom of the table Fulham...

Would this be the biggest shock result we have had in the Premier League?  It could kick start our bid for survival or... are we going to go out with a whimper.

It would not be the biggest shock to me if we beat Chelsea, even if it is rather unlikely but you can still make a very good case for us. Such as we played really well V Man. Utd, Liverpool and for most of the game at WBA. Chelsea by contrast have underperformed recently (even if the manage to grind out the results).  We have not had the rub of the green and if luck evens itself out, then surely it is about time it rolled in our favour. Also, Chelsea just back from a European match and most teams seem to be a bit below par after that.  If we get at them early and apply pressure, why not.

However they are a good team and must start favourites, but IMO, not a shock if we win. I think the away win at Man Utd all that time ago was more unexpected!

Northern Cottager

Not much without Berba and Taarabt? Typical Chelscum fan who probably catches a glimpse of his club on MOTD.

SP

Surprised there are still tickets available in both home & away sections for this fixture. Prices from £49 to £70 doesn't help. 

BigNigeBowds

"Blues too much for Fulham without berba and tarrabt "

LOL!!
'Hamburg host the final, Fulham play in it'

@SamBowdenFFC

Adi-ffc

That 'Driver on the wing' article is just unbelievable.

If any Chelsea fan really wants to find out why so few like them or cared about their champions league win, just read that with a bit of distance.

RaySmith

Quote from: Adi-ffc on February 28, 2014, 08:07:56 AM
That 'Driver on the wing' article is just unbelievable.

If any Chelsea fan really wants to find out why so few like them or cared about their champions league win, just read that with a bit of distance.

If there was any kind of innate justice in the world, that article by Driver on the Wing would cause  the fates to conspire to make Fulham win tomorrow, and to stay in the Prem.

SKSW6

Does this guy just pop up annually when we play them to patronisingly and smugly slag us off? He seems weirdly obsessed by us as he seems to do it every year.

terryr

Burt

Thanks...

I liked this addition:

1) Struggling bottom of the league side  check
3) London derby check

Surprising how many people there think that they are not going to walk away with the points.

They are top because of their ability to grind out results, no matter how poorly they play.

We are bottom because of our ability to lose points, no matter how well we play.

I wouldn't be surprised if we put in a good show, but still end up with nothing.

SP

I think we'll go for them from the start, lead at halftime then probably lose to a couple of soft Clattenburg penalties late in the second half.  I don't gamble but reckon the odds would be pretty good.

callumc513

Quote from: Burt on February 28, 2014, 11:22:34 AM
Thanks...

I liked this addition:

1) Struggling bottom of the league side  check
3) London derby check

Surprising how many people there think that they are not going to walk away with the points.

They are top because of their ability to grind out results, no matter how poorly they play.

We are bottom because of our ability to lose points, no matter how well we play.

I wouldn't be surprised if we put in a good show, but still end up with nothing.

Nailed it.