watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR England squad

Started by PokerMatt, February 27, 2014, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy; Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Steven Caulker, Ashley Cole; Glen Johnson,  Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker, Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere, Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck

Four goalkeepers and only three CBs - Young Burn might fancy his World Cup chances if he's only got to compete with Cahill, Caulker and Smalling.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Danitar

Jagielka isn't there because of an injury

PokerMatt

It was only tongue in cheek really. But even with Jag it's not a very good defence at all. I hadn't quite realised how poor the defence is aside from left-back which is very strong.

Danitar

But what I don't understand is how tom cleverley has got in and someone like sidwell who has played a lot better than him all season

PokerMatt

Quote from: Danitar on February 27, 2014, 03:25:53 PM
But what I don't understand is how tom cleverley has got in and someone like sidwell who has played a lot better than him all season

Cleverley is a complete waste of a squad spot. Even Barry has been better than him. I don't get the constant selection of Cleverley. And Townsend - what's he really done since that goal a few months ago?

Some very weak areas of the team.

andy

I am most surprised to see that Adam Johnson is not included. Personally I do not like him but the media were wiping up a frenzy in his favour.
I also prefer Gareth Barry to Cleverly who I really think is very lucky to be at Manchester United, if he played for anyone else I don't think he wouldn't get a look in.

horse1031

I think Caulker should be the English center back with Cahill.  Baines and Walker on the outside.  Lallana and Townsend on the wings and you have to play Wilshere\Barkley with Gerrard.  Rooney and Sturridge up top.

That is a really good team.

Pluto

No idea how Cleverley has got in over Barry, or even the likes of Huddlestone, Sidwell and Mark Noble who are all significantly better than him. He's absolutely useless and offers nothing.

Can only assume given Adam Johnson's recent form, Hodgson dislikes his personality as much as I do!

Julius Geezer

Agree about Cleverley, he's been off the pace this season - sounds like his inclusion is down to the club he plays for!

Barry didn't deserve to get in there - I don't think I've ever seen him play well for England - last World Cup he was embarrassing.

Huddlestone should have got the call.

Glad Luke Shaw is included but to me our defence looks weak on current league form.

Caulker has been rubbish lately - give Danny Burn a chance Roy!

Pluto

Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 27, 2014, 05:26:20 PM
Agree about Cleverley, he's been off the pace this season - sounds like his inclusion is down to the club he plays for!

Barry didn't deserve to get in there - I don't think I've ever seen him play well for England - last World Cup he was embarrassing.

Glad Luke Shaw is included but to me our defence looks weak on current league form.

Burn didn't even make the under21s

westcliff white

Agree left back is strongish with Barnes, but cole is past it, even Chelsea play a right back in his position

Edit.... Just Sean shaw is in, we should dump cole to make room for one other
Every day is a Fulham day

Julius Geezer

Quote from: Pluto on February 27, 2014, 05:33:40 PM
Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 27, 2014, 05:26:20 PM

Burn didn't even make the under21s

Southgate is a prat.

John Stones at Everton is shocking.

There's not 1 central defender in that squad that would've played like Burn did versus Man Utd and Liverpool.

fulhamben

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 27, 2014, 03:27:12 PM
Quote from: Danitar on February 27, 2014, 03:25:53 PM

Cleverley is a complete waste of a squad spot. Even Barry has been better than him. I don't get the constant selection of Cleverley. And Townsend - what's he really done since that goal a few months ago?

Some very weak areas of the team.
townsend is one of those rare players that actually steps up and plays better for England than he does for his club. one of the first names on my team sheet
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Nero

beside cleverly what the hell is defoe doing in there he gone to a retirement home

HatterDon

Quote from: horse1031 on February 27, 2014, 04:36:51 PM
I think Caulker should be the English center back with Cahill.  Baines and Walker on the outside.  Lallana and Townsend on the wings and you have to play Wilshere\Barkley with Gerrard.  Rooney and Sturridge up top.

That is a really good team.

I really like this lineup. Of course, you'll need a keeper. Who do you like there.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Pluto

I think Barkley is overrated too. Sure he's got bags of potential and could be a top quality player in time but he's ridiculously inconsistent at the moment and still maturing. Would certainly take Lampard to Brazil over him- there's just no way Barkley is at that level yet.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Pluto on February 27, 2014, 04:51:19 PM
No idea how Cleverley has got in over Barry, or even the likes of Huddlestone, Sidwell and Mark Noble who are all significantly better than him. He's absolutely useless and offers nothing.

Can only assume given Adam Johnson's recent form, Hodgson dislikes his personality as much as I do!
Well Roy watched most of the Game against Sunnderland so maybe he weighed up the diving and deflections with his general performance against a team that couldn;t defend for toffee on the day and said NAHHH