watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In Rene we trusted, in Felix we are fearful

Started by simplyfulham, March 01, 2014, 09:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplyfulham

Fearful for a one of a few different reasons.

It's certainly how I feel about the situation, I wonder how many of you are in the same boat.

Whitesideup

Absolutely. Thought today we started without two of our best players, Holtby and Kwist, the latter had particularly good game against the in-form team of the premiership and hasn't had a single minute since. Instead we had bog-standard championship football from Parker.

bobby01

I cannot believe Magath is not being given a chance and Rene was a god, for Christi's sake, Felix has a 52%win rate over a long career! it may be to late for him this season but we have never g
Had a manager with his pedigree. Rene was no better than jol why people are so taken in I do not understand, we had a few reasonable performances but shipped goals at an alarming rate. Give Felix a break, Rene would have taken us down anyway.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: bobby01 on March 01, 2014, 10:01:07 PM
I cannot believe Magath is not being given a chance and Rene was a god, for Christi's sake, Felix has a 52%win rate over a long career! it may be to late for him this season but we have never g
Had a manager with his pedigree. Rene was no better than jol why people are so taken in I do not understand, we had a few reasonable performances but shipped goals at an alarming rate. Give Felix a break, Rene would have taken us down anyway.

Its because when Rene realised that he had to ditch the old and put faith in the new things started turning around...and then he was sacked and Magath comes in and reinstates the old and boots out the new.

Whitesideup

Quote from: bobby01 on March 01, 2014, 10:01:07 PM
Why give him a break? He makes Di Canio look like Mary Poppins but Di Canio kept Sunderland up for one season.. but Magath's record is at best chequered. If he is so good why has he been sacked so many times? Why was he not working for 18 months if he so good? Is managing the biggest team in Germany  to success such an achievement? And how nuch does that affect his win ratio? We will never be Bayern for god's sake. And think about it... Avram Grant didn't do too badly at Chelsea. Wolfsburg were the equivalent of Man City in Germany with an influx of money that bought them short-term success. Magath could not sustain it so he was given the boot. Why was that do you think?

DukeTyrion

With Rene I felt he was bringing in players that would fight.

With Rene I felt that even if we went down, we would be in a strong position with good youth players ready to bring us up again.

I just don't feel that with Magath, but I don't know why :-/

Dodger53

My heart sank when I heard the team and Richardson back at the back. Over 50 years of going to Fulham and I could not raise a cheer all game for the first time ever - not even the scrappy goal - Start building NOW to get us out of the Championship or we are on a big BIG slide (again).

Lighthouse

Quote from: DukeTyrion on March 01, 2014, 10:13:11 PM

With Rene I felt that even if we went down, we would be in a strong position with good youth players ready to bring us up again.

I shall tell you why. The last two games under Rene we showed effort and were unlucky. The first two games under Felix we have shown the odd few seconds of effort and then given up. The shape, the team and the effort have simply not been there.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

simplyfulham

bobby01 I don't really think its something against Magath totally.

More that we seem to be going through that 'manager discovering the players' phase all over again, at a time when we particularly can't afford it.

He has solid philosophy and a great record, but just too little too late. If we had brought him in October/November I would honestly have no complaints and would be happy to back what seems to be a steely determined man.

We backed Rene, begun to believe in a new philosophy, and even gave him the chance to change up the playing squad. To not give him the opportunity to follow that through is unfair on a superb coach with a strong set of ideals and philosophy and unfair on Fulham - players and fans alike.

simplyfulham

I feel there are certain comparisons to be drawn between our current and ex-manager and some members of staff in the playing squad.

Magath seems to be like the Bents and Parkers of the squad, who's hot spells of form, international recognition and therefore, best days, are firmly behind them. They have very little to play for apart from maybe keeping up appearances and reputations.

Rene was far more like the Kacas, Richardsons and Sidwells, who have never achieved the best they could in their careers, and still have some time on their side to fight for. They have the potential to hit their best with us if they work hard for it and want it badly enough. (As demonstrated by the 2010 Europa league runners up squad)

This is, in a very small way, why we engaged with Rene. The fact that he had it all to play for, while Magath as always got his multiple Budesliga titles and great escapes to sit happy with. There is no great incentive for him - well not really if we are honest with ourselves.

premFlem

Quote from: simplyfulham on March 01, 2014, 11:58:28 PM
bobby01 I don't really think its something against Magath totally.

More that we seem to be going through that 'manager discovering the players' phase all over again, at a time when we particularly can't afford it.

He has solid philosophy and a great record, but just too little too late. If we had brought him in October/November I would honestly have no complaints and would be happy to back what seems to be a steely determined man.

We backed Rene, begun to believe in a new philosophy, and even gave him the chance to change up the playing squad. To not give him the opportunity to follow that through is unfair on a superb coach with a strong set of ideals and philosophy and unfair on Fulham - players and fans alike.
Plus one    I feel exactly the same, the whole situation is ridiculous now, by the time magarth gets what he thinks is his best team and tactics together it will be time to scrap them and builld for a season in the championship.... ludicrous. A near perfect example of the blind leading the blind in club management and ownership.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

ross_bamping

We are down, simple. Had it been Jol, Rene or Felix, we were always destined for the drop because of the lack of investment and too poor squad for too long. However, unlike under Jol and Rene, a major rebuild would be tough, as the latter loves his experience, and this was the main reason why were in this mess, and Rene doesn't have the experience to rebuild. Magath is in charge, and will do this rebuild, be it in the Championship. We have a wealthy American owner who won't like us in the lower division, and with good investment and the shipping out of a large string of players (possibly Stek, Riise, Duff, Kara, Derek, Ruiz, Bent, possibly Mitroglou) we will be a far better team. This transition may take a couple of seasons, but it will happen. Magath is the man to get us back on the straight and narrow.
Yes, what I say may be seen as 'overdone' or 'harsh', and to be honest I don't care. Please, feel free to argue your case, but remember, I won't back down.

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 01, 2014, 11:18:46 PM

I shall tell you why. The last two games under Rene we showed effort and were unlucky. The first two games under Felix we have shown the odd few seconds of effort and then given up. The shape, the team and the effort have simply not been there.

and in the short time that Rene was involved how many goals did we let in?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

simplyfulham

Quote from: alfie on March 02, 2014, 10:16:57 AM

To be fair.. He still had the same awful players as Jol. Nothing was going to change until you started changing up the first 11.

When he did get a chance to bring players in, he was promptly sacked.

Rene's record is also skewed by two freakishly bad results against Hull and Sunderland.

If I had the energy and time, I would look at average goals conceded under Jol and then the averae goals conceded under Rene. I would also take the average goals conceded über Rene and exclude the Hull and Sunderland result to see if there was any statistical difference.

It would probably be a fairer reflection on what we would have been likely to see from a Rene Fulham side in the long run.

Admin

Quote from: simplyfulham on March 02, 2014, 05:43:45 PM
Quote from: alfie on March 02, 2014, 10:16:57 AM

To be fair.. He still had the same awful players as Jol. Nothing was going to change until you started changing up the first 11.

When he did get a chance to bring players in, he was promptly sacked.

Rene's record is also skewed by two freakishly bad results against Hull and Sunderland.

If I had the energy and time, I would look at average goals conceded under Jol and then the averae goals conceded under Rene. I would also take the average goals conceded über Rene and exclude the Hull and Sunderland result to see if there was any statistical difference.

It would probably be a fairer reflection on what we would have been likely to see from a Rene Fulham side in the long run.

"Rene's record is also skewed by two freakishly bad results against Hull and Sunderland".

Freakishly? Possibly the 2 worst results in years, including the cup exist to Sheffield United which is up there with Hayes in my book.