more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (02/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 02, 2014, 07:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham lack 'mental power', claims Magath

Fulham manager Felix Magath has admitted his side lack the "mental power' needed to turn around results, but insists the bottom-placed Cottagers have enough time to escape the clutches of relegation.

The London outfit managed to shut out fellow capital club Chelsea in the first-half of their Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage, though Blues winger Andre Schurrle netted a quick-fire hat-trick after the break to condemn Fulham to their 19th defeat of the season.

Defender Johnny Heitinga did net a consolation for the home side in the closing stages of the 3-1 loss, but the Cottagers failed to muster any kind of a comeback.

And their new boss insists his men need to put up more of a fight in their remaining games if they are to avoid the drop.

"I'm satisfied by how we played in the first-half, we were organised and we gave Chelsea not many chances," Magath said.

"But we lost all our rhythm after the first goal. Up until then we had good spirit, there was a good atmosphere, but there is not enough mental power here to fight against [going a goal down].

"Nobody expected us to beat Chelsea, so really today nothing happened. But next week it will be better if we win.

"We have to win against Cardiff, we need more points than our opponents in order to survive.

"We played against the league leaders today, and we've got Manchester City before the end of the season, but I expect us to be able to win against the other teams we will face, we have enough games left."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/fulham-lack-mental-power-claims-magath-14030181825#iG36kIU4DmtIzHjU.99

WhiteJC

Fulham perfect art of second half capitulation against Chelsea

It's a sad time to be a Fulham fan.

Of course, a win against Chelsea wasn't to be expected. They are top of the league, we are bottom. They have a world-class squad, ours is furnished with distinctly average over-30s.

What we wanted was some fight – a sign that, in spite of this awful season, something is being done at the club that suggests we can at least battle against relegation with valiance, if not quite avoid it.

For what it's worth, brief moments in the first half suggested we had those qualities. Steve Sidwell was typically dogmatic, as was Scott Parker. Every player, for a time at least, looked as if they knew of their responsibilities and were prepared to act on them.

But then came the bane of Fulham's existence: half time. It's normally a 15 minute spell in which teams reflect, recover and paper over cracks.

For us, though, it seems to be a time in which we dramatically plan our own downfall. Encourage a ridiculously high line against a side littered with pace? Yes, sound good boss. Switch off and capitulate? Okay gaffer, sounds good.

It's said in jest but what really goes on in that dressing room that means we so regularly come out for the second half in such poor, ready-for-the-taking fashion?

Very little of any use, you have to believe. That can't be the fault of three straight managers, however. Under Martin Jol, under Rene Meulensteen and now under Felix Magath, we still can't shake this inferiority complex that leads to surrender in almost every reasonably-competitive game.

And it won't be addressed before the season's end. This is a problem with mentality, confidence, morale – all things that need time to heal. We don't have that.

All Magath can do – and he has showed no signs of improving on this – is stiffen our defence, make us more difficult to break down and, most importantly, for longer periods.

There were some questionable tactical decisions by the German today and his team selection was equally strange. That did not help.

But all we can do now is continue to support Magath and the players despite their endless ability to let us down at every corner.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a reaction one of these days.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/01/fulham-perfect-art-of-second-half-capitulation-against-chelsea-4361051/?

WhiteJC

Loan watch: Clint Dempsey plays full 90 in final game on loan with Fulham

Sounders FC's Clint Dempsey had gone three straight games without action while on loan with Fulham, but he capped his stay with a 90-minute performance in Saturday's 3-1 loss to league-leading Chelsea.

Dempsey, who had an early scoring chance, will stay in Europe for Wednesday's friendly against the Ukraine in Cyprus (barring a change) before returning to Seattle.

Here is a look at how the loan went:

Date   Opponent   Competition   Result   Note
Jan. 1   vs. West Ham   Premier League   W, 2-1   Did not play, not available on bench
Jan. 4   at Norwich City   FA Cup third round   T, 1-1   Started, played 90 minutes
Jan. 11   vs. Sunderland   Premier League   L, 4-1   Started, played 79 minutes
Jan. 14   vs. Norwich City   FA Cup third round (replay)   W, 3-0   Did not play, was available on bench
Jan. 18   at Arsenal   Premier League   L, 2-0   Started, played 90 minutes
Jan. 25   at Sheffield United   FA Cup fourth round   T, 1-1   Did not play, not available on bench
Jan. 28   at Swansea City   Premier League   L, 2-0   Started, played 71 minutes
Feb. 1   vs. Southampton   Premier League   L, 3-0   Came off bench, played 25 minutes
Feb. 4   vs. Sheffield United   FA Cup fourth round (replay)   L, 1-0   Started, played 120 minutes
Feb. 9   at Manchester United   Premier League   T, 2-2   Did not play, not available on bench
Feb. 12   vs. Liverpool   Premier League   L, 3-2   Did not play, not available on bench
Feb. 22   at West Bromwich Albion   Premier League   T, 1-1   Did not play, not available on bench
Mar. 1   vs. Chelsea   Premier League   L, 3-1   Started, played 90 minutes

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2014/03/01/loan-watch-clint-dempsey-plays-full-90-in-final-game-on-loan-with-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Magath: Fulham forgot how to defend

Fulham first-team manager Felix Magath

The Cottagers' coach was left frustrated by his side's inability to keep up their first-half performance as Chelsea took advantage of some lax concentration from their hosts

Felix Magath slammed his Fulham players after they "forgot how to defend" in their 3-1 defeat against Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The hosts failed to profit from a promising first-half display and were punished by their west London rivals after the break, with Andre Schurrle scoring a match-winning 17-minute hat-trick.

Fulham coach Magath was then left to rue a second half that was characterised by a lack of concentration from his players.

"I was satisfied with the first half, we had control over the game and did not give them many (chances)," the German said. "We had two or three good situations, (but) at half-time the players forget how to defend.

"I will remind them every day, we will do more defensive work on the training pitch.

"I have seldom seen a goal like the first today, he (Schurrle) runs over the whole field and nobody tackles him to score, that I've never seen before."

Despite the defeat leaving Fulham bottom of the table, the 60-year-old remains confident that they can avoid relegation, and expects to see a better performance against Cardiff City next weekend.

"We started well and fought very well but after they get one goal we haven't got the morale to come back," he added. "It was too difficult situation for the team at the moment.

"If we play well for 90 minutes next week we will win.

"You cannot expect that we win against the leading team, for us we have no win but nobody expected us to, the next game we will be better."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/03/01/4654933/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Chelsea 3: The Long Bad Saturday for Bob Hoskins' team

Fulham decided to dispense with the usual introductory fanfare for Felix Magath. Since managers at Craven Cottage tend to be as disposable as plastic cutlery, there seemed little point in making a fuss about his first home match in charge. For Fulham fans, the outcome was then tiresomely familiar.

Germany's first Premier League manager, who resembles a bespectacled and faintly bemused version of Bob Hoskins, was recognised by a minority in the Riverside Stand, who were rewarded by a bashful wave as he walked across the pitch from the dressing room.

The response when Magath returned, at the end of an attritional match in which both teams conformed to stereotype, was muted. The fact he had been overshadowed by a compatriot, Andre Schürrle, was merely fate playing a typically unkind trick.  This is football's forgotten derby, the Premier League's equivalent of a bake-off between rival women's institutes. It is all a little polite and prosaic and none the worse for that. Theatrical conflict has long since lost its novelty value.

The walk through the park and along the towpath to the old ground is a timeless ritual. Schoolgirls were selling cupcakes for charity in the spring sunshine; skateboaders represented the biggest threat to life and limb. The closest we got to a confrontational attitude was the playing of Elvis Costello's "I don't want to go to Chelsea" over the public address system.

If Jose Mourinho was sleepless in suburbia, Magath had to be wide awake and fully functioning. He has only 10 more matches in which to save Fulham and protect the remnants of his reputation.

Mourinho hailed him as "The Man" but the lack of respect he has encountered  here is puzzling, given his pedigree as a player and as a coach who has won three Bundesliga titles.

He has a history of getting results quickly, largely through his faith in a work ethic which would be more recognisable on the opposite bank of the Thames from Craven Cottage, in the boathouses from which elite rowers emerge to do battle on the tideway.

Das Boot camp has yet to turn his players into hollow-cheeked, dead-eyed automatons, but the remorseless of Magath's training regime is having an effect. Fulham pressed frantically, but once they fell behind they were too functional to respond effectively. The loss of their captain, Brede Hangeland, concussed in a collision with Kieran Richardson, served to expose Dan Burn, the young substitute.

"Magath has big experience," said Mourinho, whose silence in the dressing room at half-time was uniquely eloquent. "He has no fear of the big situation. I imagine it will not be easy for him, but he has a lot to give his players." The German has been scathing about his inheritance, a familiar ploy for any new manager, but one not without its merits. The decision to spend  a fee of £12 million on Kostas Mitroglou, the Olympiakos striker, was compromised by his omission from yesterday's squad because he is unprepared for the intensity of the English game.

Magath has no duty of care to young or homegrown players. It remains to be seen whether, in the longer term, he uses the products of a well-regarded Academy, but his decision summarily to discard the former Manchester United youngsters, Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole, after a solitary training session does not augur well.

Magath has only an 18-month contract, is a firefighter by instinct and seems unconcerned by the human wreckage which lies in his wake. Desperate situations call for desperate measures. Fulham last won on New Year's Day and they have collected just two points in the intervening eight games. That is relegation form by any reckoning.

Shahid Khan, the owner, writing in the programme, admitted he is aware that his decision to dismiss Rene Meulensteen after only 75 days appears "unconventional, unpopular or both".  He added: "I expected the scrutiny and know there will be more ahead. I accept this and welcome the responsibility, because the alternative was risking a non-stop slide in the table, in the hope that better results would occur in time to save our season."

There are no overbearing cultural issues with a German manager. Fulham have, after all, used players of 21 different nationalities this season. They can run all day but their failure to defend adequately after the interval promises another arduous week on the training ground, before what looks like a pivotal visit to Cardiff next Saturday.

"I will remind them about defending every day," said Magath. "I have seldom seen a goal like Chelsea's first one. Schürrle was allowed to run without any contact. After we lost that goal we did not have the morale to come back. Our leader was not there."

As he spoke, he played with his tea. The message on the label of his tea bag was rather poetic: "Everybody is alright really." If only that was the case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/fulham-1-chelsea-3-the-long-bad-saturday-for-bob-hoskins-team-9162741.html

WhiteJC

Felix Magath admits Brede Hangeland injury was 'big problem' in Chelsea loss

Felix Magath was left to rue an injury for Fulham captain Brede Hangeland as a second half Andre Schurrle hat-trick saw Premier League leaders Chelsea win 3-1 to leave the basement boys four points from safety.

It was the German's first loss in charge of the Whites and their cause was not helped by an early collision between his skipper and midfielder Kieran Richardson that saw the Norway centre back play on for a few minutes before making way on 16 minutes.

"I was satisfied with the first half," Magath said.

"We had control of the game, did not give Chelsea many chances and we had two or three good situations. But I don't know what happened - at half-time the players forgot how to defend.

"It was a big problem that captain Brede Hangeland was injured. I don't know how injured he is as he has gone to the hospital. We will just have to wait and see."

Magath is undaunted by the defeat that make Fulham's survival prospects harder.

"I will remind my players every day in training next week to defend," the manager said. "We will do more defensive work but I hope Hangeland will be back. But we have to work on defending.

"I have seldom seen such a goal we conceded today. Schurrle takes the ball and runs over the whole field and no one tackled him. He ran 90 metres without any contact; I have never seen this before.

"When you take over a team that has no wins and [is] losing confidence then you lose morale when you go behind.

"Our leader is not there, so it was too difficult a situation at the moment.

"We have to work on the defence. We have not played like a relegation team in those first 45 minutes."

The four points that must make up on 17th placed West Brom is not insurmountable so Magath is not giving up.

He said: "We have hope, sure. We played well in the first half. And next week against Cardiff we have to play well for 90 minutes, we will win if we do.

"We were not expected to win today against the league leaders, so nothing has changed for us. But we have no win [since I've been here], but no one expected us to win."

Magath left Lewis Holtby on the bench and said: "We wanted to fight against Chelsea as they have the better players.

"So you need to prepare the game where Chelsea will have control of the ball and we have to fight for this control. It was hard to do.

"Lewis is a player who is thinking of going forward, he is very skilfuland against Chelsea you will not create many chances."

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/felix_magath_admits_brede_hangeland_injury_was_big_problem_in_chelsea_loss_1_3379310

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Hangeland taken to hospital

Magath keeping his fingers cross injury to his skipper is not serious

Concern: Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland has been taken to hospital to be checked
Fulham boss Felix Magath says his side suffered against rivals Chelsea due to the loss of captain Brede Hangeland.

The Whites were beaten 3-1 at Craven Cottage in the west London derby, with Hangeland the first-half casualty of an accidental clash of heads with Kieran Richardson.

Magath said: "I was satisfied with the first half. We had control of the game and did not give Chelsea many chances, and we had two or three good situations.

"But I don't know what happened - at half-time the players forgot how to defend.

"It was a big problem that captain Brede Hangeland was injured. I don't know how injured he is as he has gone to the hospital. We will just have to wait and see.

Opener: Schurrle slots past Maarten Stekelenburg to give Chelsea the lead
"I will remind my players every day in training next week to defend. We will do more defensive work but I hope Hangeland will be back. But we have to work on defending.

"I have seldom seen such a goal we conceded today. (Andre) Schurrle takes the ball and runs over the whole field and no one tackled him. He ran 90 metres without any contact, I have never seen this before.

"When you take over a team that has no wins and losing confidence then you lose morale when you go behind.

"Our leader is not there, so it was too difficult a situation at the moment.

"We have to work on the defence. We have not played like a relegation team in those first 45 minutes."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-hangeland-taken-hospital-6761807?

WhiteJC

We can't give up – but it would be naive not to plan
by FPTAYLOR on MARCH 1, 2014

As times look bleak for Fulham after a 3-1 home loss to neighbours Chelsea, I want to find a speck of sunlight to peer through the darkened clouds that have emerged over our quaint little Cottage. To lose in that fashion with another set of goals in the final third of the football match is certainly a setback, but it doesn't mean everything is finished and we are a Championship side. It's going to be a slog, with ten games left, and needing 5 points plus results in our favour, I can see why it looks a near impossible task, but our sponsors Adidas had a slogan of "Impossible Is Nothing" and we need to stand by that; if the supporters show belief and hope, that may, just may transfer to the players. Not to forget, that we have a kind run in, hosting Norwich, possibly already safe Hull and Crystal Palace in our last three home games, plus winnable ties at Cardiff and Stoke, as well as difficult, but possible games at home to Newcastle and Everton.

I would like to take a look at the positives for the coming weeks, we have Clint Dempsey leaving the club, although it sounds harsh, it has to be said that he's been pretty appalling since rejoining, providing next to nothing, and I am surprised that Felix Magath chose him to start against Chelsea, but that's only something he can explain. Another positive, is the pending return of Kostas Mitroglou, to quote Felix Magath "he should join us for the next game," and boy do we need him, Steve Sidwell has double the amount of league goals as Darren Bent; in fact, Pajtim Kasami has scored the same amount of Premier League goals as our Darren Bent.

But the negatives? Our goal difference is appalling, and generally, the team with the worst goal difference is relegated. Another quote from Felix Magath post match today fairly summarises our season "We had two or three good situations but after half-time the team forgot how to defend." Fulham's plunge to the bottom is something that hasn't surprised any supporters of the club, I can't really recall us having a very good ninety minutes this season, and our only good defensive performances came from having eleven men behind the ball, heading away cross after cross, even then we conceded two. To add to that, we could be cut adrift and it's out of our hands. In reality, we only have to have more points than three other teams, but this is made more difficult when we have to make up 5 answered points and then some.

It's surely time for contigency planning. If I was Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh, I would be drawing up a list now of players to add to the squad for both scenarios. The added pressure of relegation comes when players look to leave, so again, we need a plan for where this happens, should Ashkan Dejagah leave, for example, who do you want to go out and sign? There were rumours at the start of the season that Sascha Riether was looking for a return to the Bundesliga to play for Schalke, will he look for a move out again? Also, what will be your transfer philosophy for both scenarios? Where do you need to improve and what type of players do you need to get? Should we stay up, we need to look at players of the calibre of Steven Defour, the 24-28 age brackets where they're young enough to become a profitable asset, but old enough to put in mature and experienced performances; but, if we were to go down, there are two realistic options. Option one is you go for players that are Premier League quality, but don't currently play consistently for their team, for example, Matt Lowton of Aston Villa, Leandro Bacuna has become Aston Villa's first choice right back, the 24 year old is a solid Premier League right back, and could fill the possible void left by Sascha Riether. I must remind you that this is all purely hypothetical, but emphasising the need for planning now. The second option is you bring in young players that have quality, but perhaps haven't broken through yet and want to prove a point, like a Josh McEachran, who has had a number of loans in the Championship, but yet to break through at Chelsea.

At the end of the day, Fulham Football Club is in a need for a rebuild whether we stay up, or we go down. I predict we may see in excess of 12-15 first team exits should we go down, and probably 7-8 if we stay up. The sooner we get all of our business down and a pre-season in, the sooner it will take to gel and the sooner we can look forward, whether it be comfortably finishing mid-table or gaining promotion back into the Premier League.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/03/we-cant-give-up-but-it-would-be-naive-to-not-plan/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Pajtim Kasami thinks Fulham can avoid relegation

Pajtim Kasami: Confident Fulham can still stay up

Pajtim Kasami feels Fulham have the quality to stay in the Premier League despite their poor run of form continuing with a 3-1 defeat at home to Chelsea.

Fulham were well in the game in the opening 45 minutes, but the loss of skipper Brede Hangeland to a head injury seemed to take away a good deal of their defensive stability.

And with Andre Schurrle and Eden Hazard in unstoppable form in the second half, Chelsea strolled away from their struggling neighbours and ensured another winless weekend for Whites fans.

Fulham remain rooted to the bottom of the table but Kasami is hopeful Felix Magath can engineer a turnaround in their fortunes now he is settling in to life in England.

Kasami said: "We have the quality for it. We have to fight now in each game. There are 10 games to go and a massive game against Cardiff next week.

"(Today) was very unfortunate. We started the first half very well, and then we stopped paying attention and conceded the first goal. I think we had the chance to score, but the game is over 90 minutes.

"We all have one goal this season - to stay up in the Premier League. (The manager) has given us the information and we worked very hard in the week to get points and big results.

"Every manager has their own opinion and own philosophy. What we have to do is stick together, be positive, look forward to the next game."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9192387/premier-league-pajtim-kasami-thinks-fulham-can-avoid-relegation?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker appeals to Celtic

Action Images

Scottish Premier League side Celtic are keen to re-ignite their interest in Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega, [football] direct news understands.

The former Wigan Athletic striker joined Fulham in 2012 but failed to impress in his first season, scoring just three goals in 28 games.

This time round and the Colombia international has suffered the same poor form, having failed to score in the Premier League.

However, he has not been given the chances he had last season, making just 10 appearances for the Craven Cottage outfit.

But, [FDN] understands that Scottish side Celtic are keen to end Rodallega's spell in London and make a summer move.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/41869-fulham-striker-appeals-to-celtic.php#.UxLd31wdObA

WhiteJC

Wales boss Coleman aims fire at Fulham owner Khan for sacking Meulensteen

Wales boss Chris Coleman has taken a swipe at Fulham owner Shahid Khan for sacking Rene Meulensteen.

Coleman, a former Fulham player and manager, said: 'It's odd for a manager to be shown the door and for the man who came in to be sacked at such short notice.

Blast: Wales boss and former Fulham manager Chris Coleman has taken a swipe at Shahid Khan

Wielding the axe: Fulham owner Shahid Khan sacked manager Rene Meulensteen last month

'The person who sacked him is the same person who gave him the job two months ago.'

Short spell: Meulensteen was in charge of Fulham for just 75 days before he was shown the door

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2571148/Wales-boss-Coleman-aims-fire-Fulham-owner-Khan-sacking-Meulensteen.html#ixzz2umwbSVWB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook