watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff is our last chance

Started by Nick Bateman, March 03, 2014, 10:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

I feel the Cardiff game is Fulham's last chance to start a revival.

We have a good squad, the best of all the teams in the lower half of the table, in my view.  We are in this predicament because of a terrible goalkeeper situation which failed to protect us from the usual defensive errors messers Senderos, and co, would make.

Having watched a bit of Spurs-Cardiff, I feel the Welsh side are the WORST team in the premiership.  They have less 'fight' under Solsjaer than under Malkey Mackay and I believe this is a good chance to get maximum points.

We should have secured those against WBA but a catalogue of 4 errors led to a late equalizer.  We must make certain this time if we take the lead.

Fulham are not down yet and we all remember the "great escape" under Hodgson.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Blanco

Definitely our last chance. We need 3 points from this game and no less. I don't think it's Stekelenberg's fault we are in this situation. He wasn't that great against Chelsea but he saved us a point against West Brom and made countless other important stops.

Nick Bateman

Stekenleburg had a few poor games but I fault Stockdale mainly although the blame must lie on Jol giving our best goalie to Chelsea for free, and after such a fantastic last season!!  Unbelievable!!!!!

Admin

We've not got the guts to go there and come back with maximum points, well not this season anyway. I hope I'm seriously wrong.

MJG

Its not Steks or Stockdale's fault where we are. Does not matter if Stein had played everygame or Stockdale everygame. We would still be bottom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

hovewhite

I feel cardiff has to be a win anything else were done,seems to me there worse than us.

Nick Bateman

Looks very evident the team is playing with "fear".  One win will change that and I do believe our team is a higher standard generally than the others in the bottom half.  As for the goalkeeper situation, Fulham would not be where we are had we kept Mark Schwarzer.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Admin on March 03, 2014, 10:20:20 PM
We've not got the guts to go there and come back with maximum points, well not this season anyway. I hope I'm seriously wrong.

Ditto. Stick a fork in us, we're done I'm affraid. Just too many changes at the club in a short time for any consistency. Total laughing stock. Roll on next yr.

the nutflush

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 03, 2014, 10:13:14 PM

We have a good squad, the best of all the teams in the lower half of the table, in my view.  We are in this predicament because of a terrible goalkeeper situation which failed to protect us from the usual defensive errors messers Senderos, and co, would make.

Really?  Its Steks fault is it?  We have the worst back four in the league, the worst most ancient midfield in the league and no decent strikers but its our world class goalies fault....Please.

Having watched a bit of Spurs-Cardiff, I feel the Welsh side are the WORST team in the premiership.  They have less 'fight' under Solsjaer than under Malkey Mackay and I believe this is a good chance to get maximum points.

We should have secured those against WBA but a catalogue of 4 errors led to a late equalizer.  We must make certain this time if we take the lead.

the nutflush

Really?  Its Steks fault is it?  We have the worst back four in the league, the worst most ancient midfield in the league and no decent strikers but its our world class goalies fault....Please.

JackyFulham90

I agree this game is all or nothing for both sides a draw will suit & help neither

Andy S

Totally agree a point is no good  wen you are bottom. no good for team morale either

RaySmith

This will be a mental battle as much as anything else.

It's feels anxiety making enough as a fan, let alone for the players.

But at least they can do something about it, as can those who have got tickets to go and urge the lads on - better than sitting at home watching or listening.

SadOldGit

I  can't believe is is Stek's fault we are where we are.  He, along with nearly everyone else, has made mistakes, sure, but the rot started under Jol -  a team with no interest, no flair, and no drive.  That was Jol's fault, not the players.  Cardiff now will be a big psychological game, I believe. Baby-face is doing his best with them, but surely Felix is going to be the bigger inspirer.  I also think it was a pity that Stockdale wasn't given the number one spot.  It would have been the making of him, and don't forget his England chances.  I hope we don't continue to go backwards, as I thought we had when I saw last Saturday's team selection.

SimpleTactics

Getting annoyed at the Stek haters when in my eyes he has been one of our best players this season. Yes he made one mistake at WBA and a few dodgy kicks vs Chelsea but seriously look at the beatings we took when we had Stockdale in nets. Not having a dig at Stockdale either as I like him also but people seriously don't notice the amount of great saves that Martin pulls off.

gezkc

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 03, 2014, 11:28:22 PM
Looks very evident the team is playing with "fear".  One win will change that and I do believe our team is a higher standard generally than the others in the bottom half.  As for the goalkeeper situation, Fulham would not be where we are had we kept Mark Schwarzer.

I think we'd be in exactly the same situation had we kept Mark Schwarzer. Schwarzer was a fantastic keeper, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking he would remain so much longer. He's well over 40 now and his abilities had been on the slide well before we let him go.

In any case, there's been far more wrong with Fulham than the goalkeeper. Without a decent defence in front of him, even the best goalkeeper can't keep everything out.

Riverside

Why pick on the goalkeepers ?
I have posted on this before .
How many CB partnerships have had - I have lost count ( at least 6 individuals have played there with maybe as many as 20 combinations - anyone with the patience to calculate this ?)
And have any of the partnerships played 3 games in succession ?

HatterDon

Quote from: SimpleTactics on March 04, 2014, 11:51:15 AM
Getting annoyed at the Stek haters when in my eyes he has been one of our best players this season. Yes he made one mistake at WBA and a few dodgy kicks vs Chelsea but seriously look at the beatings we took when we had Stockdale in nets. Not having a dig at Stockdale either as I like him also but people seriously don't notice the amount of great saves that Martin pulls off.

As I said elsewhere, Stek is a brilliant shot stopper, but is average to mediocre at other GK skills. He's the current edition of Antii Niemi.

I don't understand this blind emotion towards a single player -- unless it's Moritz Volz of course -- blind emotion towards a team I understand.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 03, 2014, 10:13:14 PM

Stekelenburg is amazing.

It's not his fault that we've conceded about 10+ deflected goals.

Yes he made a mistake against WBA, but he made 4-5 world class saves before that.

Defence has backed off far too much and invited pressure.

Stekelenburg is the best keeper we've had since VDS
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Fulham1959

If we lose on Saturday, then we're down  -  mathematically, no, but psychologically, yes.

I'm not overly impressed with Stek (good shot stopper, agreed)  -  but with a back 4 that's constantly changing (all season long) then it's a recipe for mistakes across the board. So it's maybe unfair to judge too harshly.