watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cricket? Are you kidding me?

Started by RidgeRider, January 30, 2010, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Got to agree with Mr F's comments about the inner cities.

When growing up with such sports, it becomes second nature and common to play in that manner (the breaks every ten second I mean). I do recall a conversation some years back when we were talking soccer over here with some work-mates. These guys were true blue Americans, who had never really given soccer a second thought, and one comment I found a little naive at first was when one mentioned that the nil-nil draw that had just taken place must have been one of the most boring games ever. I took time to convince him that in real football it's not always about how many goals you score (or points as they believed it was called), but the game play itself, but it was all to no avail. They just couldn't get over the lack of goals.

That got me to thinking about American sports in a totally different way. It IS all about the points scored, and that, together with the mandatory advertisement breaks required to have the game on TV, is the reason for the (excessive??) breaks we see in virtually all American-sourced games.

The point I am trying to make is that this is as much a culture thing as Bangers-and-Mash versus Pumpkin Pie is, a difference in upbringing only, and as such, each sport does need to be respected.

Good luck with the soccer-to-Harlem project Mr F, support you all the way on that one mate. One day the USA will have a team that they can honestly claim IS one for the world stage, without the derisory comments from their own fellow Americans - but hopefully not this year!  :dft011:  :dft012:

tjl

Hi all it's nice to be back had a bit of trouble with the computer, my o my i am going to retrain as a computer whiz over £60 per hour he charged and it was all something to do with me mother, anyway Sark won 6-0 this morning and were doing well at the cricket this afternoon when i was called away to play yes PLAY in a darts tournament a one day event in the island hall over 40 players on 4 boards going on all afternoon and  into the evening, another first on the rock, you would think it's easy i used to be able to  through a mean arrow i won my first game 2 sets to 1 but the break spent at the bar and a 20 year old with no respect for age did me 2-0 in my second trip to the "ochey"  why o why do they change things when they mend your machine none of the knobs are in the same place but the valves do warm up quicker.
PS good tape HD 

HatterDon

thanks, tjl.

I really do miss cricket at the village level. Test match cricket is all well and good, but a village match on a warm sunny sleepy day is where it's really at.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

tjl, now that's a sport worth a great mention, Darts. I used to play in the UK before crossing the pond, and when I took it up whilst in OK I was introduced to the soft-tips (or electronic) version. I'd seen it played by Cliff Lazarenko some years earlier when he played a tournament in Germany, but never experienced it in the flesh, so to speak. Now up north, we play both leagues.

Game rules and format change a little here in the States than good old blighty, but the basics of the game are the same. Yet another export from England (as a formal game - dates back to Henry VIII even) that has circumnavigated the globe.

tjl

I started playing darts when i was allowed the odd half pint as an under aged 17 year old, dad and his mates all played darts, it was almost a rights of passage you had to chalk the board (score) for the right to play the winner on a good Saturday night you might get to play 4 or 5 games, as you got better and maybe winning a game or two up to the point when on a good night a winning run could see you only chalking just the once to get on the board. Sunday lunchtimes was a different pub and cards was the game played did any one ever play a game called Nap short for Napoleon with the best hand being a Wellington winning all, mind you that was over 35 years ago and all i remember about the game, one tends to go off on tangents going down memory lane.

finnster01

I once remember watching Jocky Wilson in a tournament in Glasgow in the mid/late eighties warming up with 8 pints of lager, followed by matchplay and an absolutely astonishing series of 180'ies. Too bad what has happened to him now though.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on June 08, 2010, 07:04:26 AM
I once remember watching Jocky Wilson in a tournament in Glasgow in the mid/late eighties warming up with 8 pints of lager, followed by matchplay and an absolutely astonishing series of 180'ies. Too bad what has happened to him now though.
You are so right there Finn, it was a personal disaster for him, but he still has his pride and refuses interviews. Interesting facts about his wife though, had to be hard for him with the Falkland war and all that's been going on.
One of the great characters of the sport, nonetheless, and it seems as the showbiz moved in, such great characters faded away.

Still the greatest of all time - Eric Bristow - was my favorite and the one I looked up to so much.
I still use Harrows and the CC flights. Interestingly enough, his achievements can only be matched (or overtaken) by Phil 'The Power' Taylor, possibly THE greatest ever player recognized by the world of darts, and it was Eric that discovered Phil, financed and mentored him. Weird the way all that worked out in the end.

HatterDon

anything you can play after drinking 8 pints of lager is NOT a sport. Much the same as golf: anything a 90 year old can play twice a week is NOT a sport.

Both are recreations. Now CRICKET!!!! There's a sport!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel