watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Real ale in Cardiff

Started by Shredhead, March 05, 2014, 09:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredhead

For those making the trip this weekend and wishing to dull the senses before or after the match, here are some recommendations in the city centre and to the west of the centre. Real ale in Cardiff is dominated by Brains which brews a standard Bitter (about 4%), a stronger bitter (SA), a golden version of SA and a fantastic mild called Dark. In recent years they've diversified and brought out new ales such as Rev James. Other localish ales to look out for include Otley (look for a big O on the pump clips) and Felinfoel.   Brains pubs are indicated with a (B). Perhaps cover your FFC shirts and scarves in the city centre ones.
City Centre:
Cottage, 25 St Mary St (B)
Goat Major, 33 High St (opposite the Castle)
Rummer Tavern 14 Duke St (also opposite the Castle)
Old Arcade Church St - an iconic rugby pub (B)
Fire Island, 17 Westgate St (opposite Millennium Stadium)
Queens Vaults, Westgate St (B)
Zero Degrees, Westgate St
Pen and Wig, 1 Park Grove - off the main shopping street Queens St (B)
City Arms, Quay St (B) but lots of guest ales

to the west of the City Centre:
Mochyn Du (Black Pig), Sophia Close, off Cathedral Road. Welsh speaking pub (though they serve English people as well). Walk alongside the River Taff through Sophia Gardens
Halfway, 247 Cathedral Road
Chapter Arts Centre, Market Rd - there's a real ale festival on this weekend. Happy Days.
:beer:
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Martinsback

Rev James was a beer brewed by a rival brewery, Crown Buckley, that it bought in 1998.

ron

Nothing short of laughing gas or a Mickey Finn is likely to be enough.

Snibbo

I lived in Cardiff many years ago. The theory at the time was that "SA" (as in Brains SA) stood for "Skull Attack".

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Snibbo on March 06, 2014, 12:01:32 AM
I lived in Cardiff many years ago. The theory at the time was that "SA" (as in Brains SA) stood for "Skull Attack".

That's correct.
Its lovely stuff so "get it down u boy".

:beer:
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Zu-Meister

are there any close to the stadium?

Fulhampete

Never liked Brains but Felinfoel Double Dragon used to be OK. Haven't had any recently though.

jms

082.gif Good ol' shredhead......Fulham's beer expert .....take care at the match matey. Enjoy or endure.....Jenny x  :beer:

mabster

Strongly advise not going in the queens vaults

Shredhead

Quote from: Zu-Meister on March 06, 2014, 08:21:49 AM
well,  there's the Ninian Park but I wouldn't advise going in there.  There are lots of pubs on Cowbridge Road but there'll be busy with City fans including the Ivor Davies. Of the ones above,  Chapter is nearest.  There's a great little pub on the corner called the Butchers Arms.

ScalleysDad

A pub with munchies would be good. The stadium info makes a point of saying that as part of the away fan experience similar food to that served 'at home' will be available.
"One radio active pie that may or may not contain meat oh and can you stamp on it as well ................ please"

Berserker

Do they sell real cider?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Zu-Meister

Quote from: Shredhead on March 06, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
Quote from: Zu-Meister on March 06, 2014, 08:21:49 AM
well,  there's the Ninian Park but I wouldn't advise going in there.  There are lots of pubs on Cowbridge Road but there'll be busy with City fans including the Ivor Davies. Of the ones above,  Chapter is nearest.  There's a great little pub on the corner called the Butchers Arms.
cool, thanks for the info

akf

would be great if this sort of preview was available before every away game...

Shredhead

Quote from: Berserker on March 06, 2014, 09:24:59 PM
Do they sell real cider?
Chapter sell Westons and something 'more exotic' avoiding to my mate who lives round the corner.  I'll be there hopefully later tonight and will let you know.

Shredhead

Quote from: Martinsback link=top c=37523.msg505352#msg505352 date=1394060852
http://www.urbantaphouse.co.uk/ev James was a beer brewed by a rival brewery, Crown Buckley, that it bought in 1998.
I stand corrected.  It's a Yorkshire Beer Festival
There's a beer list here on the Chapter website.  Www.chapter.org. search for Sup n Scran ale festival.  They also do a large selection of bottled Belgian and German beers.  I might see Felix down there tonight.  082.gif
Another recommendation in the city centre is the Urban Tap House 25 Westgate St.