watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should we have kept Berbatov??

Started by JackyFulham90, March 09, 2014, 09:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

Before I get slated I understand he was bringing the team down when he was having a bad game but he scared opponents especially the teams around us, the last time we won he got the winner.
Seeing Bent & Rodallega lead the line followed by an unfit Greek striker makes me think we should have kept him until the expiration of his contract.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me but I think he would have benefited from having a player with the quality of Lewis Holtby is our side

Berserker

Berbatov wanted to leave
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

LBNo11

...opponents were only scared of his reputation, when they saw he no longer brought the reality, nobody was scared of him, some touched of brilliance but no end result. He's gone, he failed to make his mark at our club, he got picked even when he didn't have form, now let's just leave it there please...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

No. He is a player who has sold not only the fans but himself short. Because of his attitude no one has ever really seen the bests of him. He is now 33 and coming to the end of a career that should have had him up there with the very best. His time at Spuds was the best. Alongside Robbie Keane some of his play was quite exceptional. No. He was never up for a fight.

092.gif      

westcliff white

For me yes, but he would not have been ablE to train or play for McGrath.
Every day is a Fulham day

Denver Fulham

We offloaded Berba to take on Holtby's salary. I don't think both were possible. That said, we canned the manager who wasn't really playing with a CAM for a guy who's looking for one, and we sent three of them packing in January. Awesome.

callumc513

It wasn't fair on him to stick him in such an awful team, he deserves better.

Aaron

I don't think it would have made a pick of difference either way.  He wasn't exactly hitting the back of the net week in week out.  Now we have other strikers who aren't being afforded the opportunity to score either.

We got rid so that we could make some moves in January.  It looked like it might have been working initially under Rene but if we'd still had Berbatov on the books by the time Magath came in he'd have been dropped anyways.

FPT

Quote from: westcliff white on March 09, 2014, 10:19:44 PM
For me yes, but he would not have been ablE to train or play for McGrath.

I wouldn't want to play under an Aussie bowler either.

Snibbo

Presumably it was known he wanted to go. So we should have concentrated on bringing in a replacement, even a stop-gap one, who could IMMEDIATELY take over the striker role. No matter how good Kostas turns out to be (or not), I will never understand the logic of buying an expensive striker right at the end of the Jan window, who was unable to play a full match until March. Too late, too late. God almighty, even a Carlton Cole type player would have given us something up front.

ToodlesMcToot

He is indicative of our major problem right now........loaded with talent and reputation......short on heart and a will to win.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Count Berbatov

He's been doing great for Monaco. A couple of times came on from the bench, scored  the winner in one of those and last night started his first game Scoring the first from open play, got the penalty that won it
He looks very good again, with Monaco playing a passing game. It fits him as they have most of the possession usually . Ranieri said it was a fitness problem with him, but looks his old self again. Quick and lively
I think Magath is very similar to Ranieri. Tough in training and honestly, I think he would have gotten Berbs back in shape.
So yes, it was a mistake, because there isn't enough quality in this team.
But I am glad he left, as he was most definitely going to be the scapegoat in the absence of Ruiz and co
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

nose

berba had to leave... what was in error was not getting a 'proper' center forward capable of playing with his back to goal, holding up the play and linking with the midfield.
ruiz was mentioned above, another player that was a dreadful mistake but let go with no alternatives brought in. holtby was a step in the right direction.

TonyGilroy

In my opinion the biggest single cause of our disasterous season has been Berbatov's woeful performances.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on March 09, 2014, 09:09:21 PM
Before I get slated I understand he was bringing the team down when he was having a bad game but he scared opponents especially the teams around us, the last time we won he got the winner.
Seeing Bent & Rodallega lead the line followed by an unfit Greek striker makes me think we should have kept him until the expiration of his contract.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me but I think he would have benefited from having a player with the quality of Lewis Holtby is our side

IMO, Nope
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

epsomraver

Quote from: Count Berbatov on March 10, 2014, 06:50:30 AM
He's been doing great for Monaco. A couple of times came on from the bench, scored  the winner in one of those and last night started his first game Scoring the first from open play, got the penalty that won it
He looks very good again, with Monaco playing a passing game. It fits him as they have most of the possession usually . Ranieri said it was a fitness problem with him, but looks his old self again. Quick and lively
I think Magath is very similar to Ranieri. Tough in training and honestly, I think he would have gotten Berbs back in shape.
So yes, it was a mistake, because there isn't enough quality in this team.
But I am glad he left, as he was most definitely going to be the scapegoat in the absence of Ruiz and co

Now  you are just talkng silly ! 064.gif

Count Berbatov

Yes. I was talking about his time before Fulham Epsom. At Fulham everything is slow
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MJG

Quote from: Count Berbatov on March 10, 2014, 06:50:30 AM
Ranieri said it was a fitness problem with him,
Its a problem for ALL the squad who have been here from the start of the season. WTF did they do on their various trips abroad during pre season.

callumc513

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 10, 2014, 09:05:42 AM
In my opinion the biggest single cause of our disasterous season has been Berbatov's woeful performances.

You're right, he just couldn't keep up with the rest of our mighty squad...